A good idea?

Does anybody else think it would be a good idea to advertise what fuel supplier operates at service stations?
I mean, it’s obviously not too much trouble to say what shops/ fast food joints are there, but if you’ve got a certain fuel card it would be handy to know if you can use it at the service station.
Most of the time you cant see what fuel supplier is there without going in and that just wastes drivers time.
IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Fuel companies like esso/shell and keyfuels all have or did have a directory of all their sites, but yes it would be good for some,

They do it in just about every other European country I have been to and as you say very handy when you are restricted by type of fuel card.

Pet hate of mine also, worse on the motorways I am not too familiar with the motorway network yet, particularly up north, we use BP plus (which I think is Routex) and you can guarantee the services 25m away that you plan to use, is a Shell.

The truckers handbook, published by haynes, does a good job of listing what cards are accepted where (assuming its accurate). Allows you to plan a bit in advance.

Yeah a good idea mate I have always said that for years, just can’t think why they don’t do it. It used to p**s me off having to drive through to see what it was.

If you search around on the interweb, you might find some fuel suppliers have a downloadable update for your satnav. I have BP and Texaco on mine but can’t remember where I got them from! :confused: (old age?)

The French ones also advertise in advance the fuel price of the next 2 or 3 upcoming fuel stations. Ok, I know that’s secondary if you’re using a particular card, but it helps Joe Motorist out.

That should be obvious.

The signs for the MSA should be information, not an advertisement.

And it is advertisement. You can for example see “Burger King” for some services and then you go there, and you have BK, McDonald’s and Pizza Hut there. Why only Burger King is advertised then?

I think it’s just stupid that they don’t put that information about gas station on the entrance. In germany you have info what’s on next MSA and what’s on next after.

As for MSA I have also another question: recently I got a puncture. It was on rear twin wheels so I wasn’t aware of that, but other motorist stopped me and let me know (thanks for the guy in blue P206 who bothered to give me signs then bothered to pull into the HS just in front of me and made sure I know what the problem is)

As it was few hundred metres before exit slip to the MSA, I decided to pull there for safety. Then I called assistance, which came and found, that my spare tyre is also damaged (thanks to the other driver who informed the company on that, I wasn’t able to check it as spare is under the body and the cut was on the side of the tire which was on the top of it, so without removing spare it wasn’t possible to find, and who’s removing the spare during their walkaround check?).

So I had to call tyre fitters, and altogether I spend there over 2 hours, and I have to pay for it!

How on earth I can be charged for wanting to be safe? It wasn’t my choice to stop there (as I would never pay for MSA) and I let them earn few pennies by buying a drink at their robbery prices and also a newspaper…)

Next time I would just reverse onto the “police hill” (I don’t know how you call it) which was about the same distance from the place I noticed I have a puncture but the other way.