A g bird transport wolverhampton

Paul Adams has kindly lent me a few photos of A G Birds trucks from wolverhampton,ta,Pete

Another one of Birds,foden has got a north east reg no.? any one know who owned her previously?ta,Pete

pete smith:
Another one of Birds,foden has got a north east reg no.? any one know who owned her previously?ta,Pete

Sunters Heavey Haulage perhaps, They had a few of these in their days of glory in the heavey haulage industry, Regards Larry.

Brilliant Pete, I’ve always wanted to see some photo’s of A G Bird, their yard is still there by the Red White and Blue isn’t it. They ran some smart unique Fodens !

Thanks for reply Larry,how about this for an outfit then,the trailer axles are three sets of rear bogies from 8 wheelers,ta,Pete

Trev_H:
Brilliant Pete, I’ve always wanted to see some photo’s of A G Bird, their yard is still there by the Red White and Blue isn’t it. They ran some smart unique Fodens !

Hi,Trev,got a fair few to put on yet,me personally can only remember the yard when mainline had it cos i’m only a babby!ta,Pete

You should know where this pic was taken Trev,got one in colour as well if you struggle!ta,Pete

pete smith:
Thanks for reply Larry,how about this for an outfit then,the trailer axles are three sets of rear bogies from 8 wheelers,ta,Pete

Great stuff Pete, Regards Larry.

Picture taken outside their yard,which was on the A460 at Featherstone 200yds past the M54 jcn next to a bp garage,office building still there but is now a chinese restraunt,suppose it makes a change from a muckdonalds or a tesco,ta,Pete

pete smith:
You should know where this pic was taken Trev,got one in colour as well if you struggle!ta,Pete

I would say it’s Monmore green outside Delta, the picture would have been taken on Don Everall’s forecourt. :wink:

Spot on mate,did not think for a second you would need help as it was outdide a BRS customer and smack bang in the middle of 2 of their depots,was it E P Jenkinson then Trev? here’s the colour shot,ta,Pete

Here is the man Alfred Geoff Bird,ta,Pete

pete smith:
Spot on mate,did not think for a second you would need help as it was outdide a BRS customer and smack bang in the middle of 2 of their depots,was it E P Jenkinson then Trev? here’s the colour shot,ta,Pete

It was E P Jenks then Pete, They ran dark green Leyland comets then. Across the road where that picture was taken next to Everalls was another Foden user P A Carter, a London firm which had their depot there. Quite a few of their drivers later worked for BRS/Goodyears.

Dunno where this was taken,made by J S Forster Tipton,what truck are the trailer axles from any idea lads?ta,Pete

pete smith:
Dunno where this was taken,made by J S Forster Tipton,what truck are the trailer axles from any idea lads?ta,Pete

They look like Kirkstall Axles to me, But I may be wrong, Regards Larry.

Loaded from Midlands Tar Distillers,ta,Pete

Evening all, Pete, a thread well worth putting up!

Two views of AG Bird…a skinflint operator who made a lot of money out of exploiting his staff, paid little…asked a lot…ran “threadbear” kit, and made money from good men pulling together!

Or…

An operator who utilised modest assets to the maximum of their ability/competence,…“.then got out”…just in time…and invested in a Log Cabin complex in Snowdonia…before the job…and Black Country industry in general collapsed in a heap!!!

Take your pick…

I had a fair bit to do with them over the years…from selling them the families Heavy Haulage S18 Foden…double drive, 150 Gardner, "underdrive 12 speed mechanical split, (you could leave black rubber on the road in low reduction on the hubs), what a tool, I think she was rated at 80 tons, but I have a picture of her, (on one of Ken Birds postcards), at the Moxley junction, (just down from Paul Adams current premises at A& R), with a Wellman overhead crane beam of 115 tons on one of their “home made” bogies, (Albion axles X 4 off). Birds certainly got their moneysworth!! Let alone the couple of BTC Four in Lines that they had, then put in copious steel and stretched from 28FT!!!

I have told the story before of demonstrating to Ken, an Atkinson Venturer 75 ton, when the passenger windscreen fell out going in, by the Red White, and Blue…then going out, (with a full compliment of P… taking fitters, and Ken), and the drivers screen fell out…and it was raining as well!!!..B… long way back to Cradley Heath in a downpour, with no windscreens, I can tell you!

Rawcliffes bought the heap…Birds stayed Foden…(after all they were “real” heavy haulage lorries)!

The trailer yard down the “Concrete Road”, was a delight for anyone interested in “home built” bogie trailers…whoever the axle came from, drop out the diff, (and down to be weighed in at Gordon Rickards yard, then couple the springs up…hey presto a 100 ton , (nominal), trailer!

Self steer, rigid, our steered by “a lad”, all were created…Alan on the fork lift at J Kelsall Builders Merchants, down in Saredon, and I often laugh about some of the strokes they pulled…he from the experience of being a young lad, out alone , with no communication on the bogie, (and total decision making responsibility), having to judge with precision just how to miss the obstacles…houses, Banks, Traffic lights…whilst the driver and mate forged on like a Tea Clipper in a rough sea!!!

No wonder he is good on a Fork Lift!

Somewhere Ive some great AG Bird pictures, an outfit of its time…and today no longer possible!!

Cheerio for now.

Some good memories there Saviem, a young chap I worked with Terry was a trailer lad for them he used to tell me about the scrapes they got into !
I didn’t know Paul Adams was with A&R, I went in there last week to get a quote on one our Dafs for repairs, small world .

Evening Trev, (hope all good with you). A&R, is Paul Adams, and Trevor Rushworth, (ex Ackers Jarrett). Lovely outfit, and good work ethic!

Great on hydraulics, and paint, and really anything else. Paul is semi retired, and walks down our lane most mornings…though the muck I seem to have deposited thereon seems a bit deep for walking through!!

Paul is into his Bentleys now…me I still prefer tractors""
Good luck,

Cheerio for now.

Driver Ron Chapman,lived in dark lane Featherstone,ta,Pete

agb11.jpg