A Frame drawbars

Tuf 3.jpg

Andrew Shuttleworth , of R.E. Shuttleworth & Sons , prefers the A-frame and turntable arrangement.
Its a proper mans drawbar outfit . :smiley:

Photographed at the (now sadly ) closed Kendal Auction Mart, a few years ago.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

The same drawbar trailer, without the livestock container , seen behind ( but not connected to ) a smaller
Scania 4 wheeler.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Found this on a norwegian forum:

My company is slowly migrating to A-frame trailers for the increased payloads they offer without falling foul of axle weight limits. Far easier to maneuver than an artic or eight wheeler with A-frame trailer and center mounted wheels. Reversing them is a skill and like all skills one will get better by practicing. The Norwegian driver above appears to be a master. :sunglasses:

cissa:
/Mobiljuni09010.jpg
/Mobiljuni09011.jpg

Fair play to the guy. Stunning piece of reversing.

He would obviously eat his own bairns before taking the drag in the nose on a blindside reverse, as would any self-respecting A frame jockey.

Had an A frame for years on multi drop in London, amazing that you could get in places where you’d never get an artic in. The boss tried to reverse it one day in the yard and got it stuck,he said he couldn’t believe how difficult it was and I could I show him how it was done! I said I learnt by being sent to London with the thing, next week I got a pay rise for driving it :laughing: :laughing:

As someone mentioned earlier it is like riding a bike, you never forget.

Last year I had to take a super b out and with two pivot points the fundamentals are exactly the same as an A frame.

I could back it up in a straight line or make it go around a corner, I even blindsided it into a hole at a truckstop (with a few shunts) which wasn’t that easy with a normal (53ft) trailer.

Just noticed the signature: “Saw a sticker on a car which read “I’m a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal” and I realised that there are a lot of Gynecologists driving too…”

A lot of proctologists as well, I think.

Hiya if you go to you tube and type in reversing a double B on a A frame. there,s a clip of a driver
reversing two 53ft trailers(the second one is on a dolly) that gives 3 pivots…not a bad driver
i think he,s and English chap living in Canada…well worth a look.
John

cissa:

That took some skill ,its on his blindside :sunglasses:

newmercman:
As someone mentioned earlier it is like riding a bike, you never forget.

Last year I had to take a super b out and with two pivot points the fundamentals are exactly the same as an A frame.

I could back it up in a straight line or make it go around a corner, I even blindsided it into a hole at a truckstop (with a few shunts) which wasn’t that easy with a normal (53ft) trailer.0

Is that you Newmercman? I pictured you as a mid - late 50’s and erm… larger :slight_smile:

Any body on here remember the Panic Link drawbars■■?
Any body on here worked for Panic Link (Lount) or as an outbased driver from one of the depots■■?
I worked in the warehouse from 94 to 98 (Lount)
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

tango boy:
Any body on here worked for Panic Link (Lount) or as an outbased driver from one of the depots■■?

15 years ago I was on the transits for someone who had the panic link contract / franchise, and used to wait for a panic link A frame drawbar to turn up in the morning (eventually!), unload it, sort the parcels by postcode and scoot off in a van delivering them.
It was quite a common thing for the driver to have trouble reversing it, and we used to unhitch it and use a farm tractor to get it in position.
Can’t believe the miles I covered in those days; base was near Colchester and delivery round covered Felixstowe to Southwold and Lowestowft. Was easily 1200 miles a week.

3300John:
Hiya if you go to you tube and type in reversing a double B on a A frame. there,s a clip of a driver
reversing two 53ft trailers(the second one is on a dolly) that gives 3 pivots…not a bad driver
i think he,s and English chap living in Canada…well worth a look.
John

I’m signed up for those turnpike doubles, have to wait until October before I can start as I have to be at the firm 6 months before I’m allowed to drive them.

I’m only doing it as a sub, I like a bit of variety and they are on fixed routes, but the dollar is quite good and it’s an opportunity to good to pass up.

Another string to my bow and tbh dragging two 53ft trailers down the road appeals to the billy big wheels part of me.

I will, of course, learn how to make them go backwards, or at least try to :laughing:

th2013:

tango boy:

15 years ago I was on the transits for someone who had the panic link contract / franchise, and used to wait for a panic link A frame drawbar to turn up in the morning (eventually!), unload it, sort the parcels by postcode and scoot off in a van delivering them.
It was quite a common thing for the driver to have trouble reversing it, and we used to unhitch it and use a farm tractor to get it in position.
Can’t believe the miles I covered in those days; base was near Colchester and delivery round covered Felixstowe to Southwold and Lowestowft. Was easily 1200 miles a week.

I used to go out with the drivers on the runs as a drivers mate and knew all of the depots and not all of them we’re on ind ests and easy to get to, some of them we’re right ■■■■■ holes!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Saw a foreigner pull up with one of these once. The 2nd and third axle were quite spread on it. When he went to reverse, the front axle of the trailer lifted and the drawbar locked.

Clunk:
Saw a foreigner pull up with one of these once. The 2nd and third axle were quite spread on it. When he went to reverse, the front axle of the trailer lifted and the drawbar locked.

. ■■? So how did it turn?

Steevo:

Clunk:

. ■■? So how did it turn?

I THINK that on some of the A frames there was a switch in the cab to lock the A effectively turning it into a wag and drag for reversing. I wasn’t a driver when I thought I saw this in action so could have got this wrong.

But I can’t fathom the front axle on trailer lifting, as the effect on weight distribution would be most interesting!

bestbooties:

newmercman:
It doesnt matter if youre blindside or not as the whole pricipal behind reversing one is that you dont bend the trailer too much or youll never catch it, what you need is a decent overhang on the prime mover & supersonic wheel twirling abilities, other than that it just takes practice, I did a few hours mucking about in an empty car park in Italy with mine & I was able to back the empty trailer under a demount box with no problem, once you get it right it all falls into place, [zb] nitemare at first though :astonished:

You’re right about the rear overhang,I found when reversing SI’s F89 6 X 2 that reversing was always much easier with the tag axle lifted.
The other thing to remember as already stated,concentrate on steering the dolly,it’s too easy to look at what the trailer is doing and forget it’s the dolly that controls the trailer.

^^ Plus many!
From my growing up on the farm days with tractor, dolly & trailer, that sums it up!

Steeps