A First For France!

On thursday afternoon (12 February) I was pulled over by the Gendarmes for a control by the French ministry of transport just south of Nantes, they asked for the current disc plus all those back to 12th of January, which were duly handed over along with the EU permit and my driving licence.

To my great suprise fifteen minutes later I was handed back all the discs etc and told thank you very much you can now continue your journey - no 90 Euro fine - nothing and to cap it all both the Gendarmes and the ministry man were extremely polite.

I nearly changed my opinion of the French that afternoon!

They seem to gunning for the Dutch at the moment.Magnets under gears,to fraud digital tachos.Remember when they were nicking the tourists for bike racks,GB plates,Beam benders,etc.And our mate Pinnochio of bike unit in Cherbourg,he hated UK trucks,tuned in to CB chatter,to those on the wire,and nick them in the port.Navara police seem to be coming down heavy lately,with telephone numbers sized fines.Basque red caps have a reputation.Never mess with them.

Both the Navarra and Pais Vasco police seem to have taken delivery of a wholesale bundle of portable weighbridges of late - maybe they are looking for those who drink too much cola cao! The bascula at Irun seems to be permanently manned these days too. At least they dont seem fussy who they stop, there was a Spaniard on it yesterday morning.

We seemed to be exempt in Cherbourg,but I did see Pinnochio quite alot around GBE,s office.

They must be changing. I stopped in concarneu before xmas to ask directions, out of nowhere the gendarmes and ministry appeared. Told me it was a control and asked where I was going. Told me to follow them as they knew where it was. We get to the place and they take my digicard and download my tacho. 30 mins later they pop out the van, give me everything back and said OK, no problems!!
Couldn’t believe it!!

Hombre:
Both the Navarra and Pais Vasco police seem to have taken delivery of a wholesale bundle of portable weighbridges of late - maybe they are looking for those who drink too much cola cao! The bascula at Irun seems to be permanently manned these days too. At least they dont seem fussy who they stop, there was a Spaniard on it yesterday morning.

hello mark hows the job?
I got pulled on that weighbridge last week on way up!!! only had 3 tons though they were well p’d off thought I’d loaded in acerinox :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi James

Im still plodding on - its all that can be done in this day and age - still hunting for a start for a Spanish firm though.

I had a drink with Hotpot last night and he was telling me that you are struggling for work from UK back to Spain, its bloody dire at the minute. Im going to have a word with my boss to see if he can sub some of our Gib work out to CITMA - but we’ve gone a bit quiet too at the moment.

Its unusual for you to run with just three tons on, I bet that surprised em!

Hombre:
Hi James

I had a drink with Hotpot last night and he was telling me that you are struggling for work from UK back to Spain, its bloody dire at the minute. Im going to have a word with my boss to see if he can sub some of our Gib work out to CITMA - but we’ve gone a bit quiet too at the moment.

Its unusual for you to run with just three tons on, I bet that surprised em!

I loaded exhibition centre in sevilla and was only 12 cases on trailer when i rang rafa he said run with it cos they paying a fortune and as i get extra 14% of invoice this month will be good month!!

Rafa has old shape actros up his house with 48 badge but been chipped says he going to service it and trailer then probably stick it on road next month. will ask him if he got driver yet and let u know :smiley: :sunglasses:

Off topic a bit.Heard loads of Portguese drivers flocking to Brazil and Africa,(Mozambique,Angola)Ex Portuguguese colonies.Driving for 20 hour shifts,in Africa.With decent artics.

Was it true that he followed two Irish wagons,and was too close behind,and driver(s) braked sharply,and Pinnochio was seriously injured,hence the chip on the shoulder,when mobile again.Use to sit on top of that big ski slope hill.Wagons used to go down to town centre.Now weight limit.

No Pete,I think you could call that a myth similar to the red headed Scot on the perifirique in Paris riding his Gendarmarie motorcyle and getting between 2 of Murphy International,s and getting crushed as they closed in on him.

most of it comes down to the individual i reckon - one of mine got a rude bunch of douanes yesterday at rouen, had 5 brits in at same time and fined one of on-time’s for too much baccy (over 1kg) and were generally stroppy he said even though (or because?!) he was clean as a whistle

one other hand we had an ■■■■■■ from the (usually) dreaded CRS and they couldn’t have been more pleasant - mind you we do pay their overtime, that might help :laughing:

I got controlled by the French Ministry again last week, this time near Tolouse. Again it has to be said they were extremely polite and again I got away without any fines or bollockings - phew! The Ministry bloke even gave me a Boletin de Controle without being asked.

Is it my imagination, or have the Douane massively increased the amount of controls on the roads - they seem to be everywhere these days and I dont think Ive transitted France this year without being stopped at least once. Recently I was searched at Hendaye, then just north of Rennes, then at the docks gate in Caen and finally just prior to boarding!!

SHEEEEEEESH, is pinochio still hovering around the port in chbg, FFS
he should be either retired or long buried by now… Surely he must have got enough dosh to be able to retire. He was a pain in all our arses
years ago…

Will the man never rest til every UK truck has handed over their incomes,lol…
When you are looking for a ■■■■■ u wont get better than him…

IMHO

Was controlled up 3 to 4 times a week in France.Motorbike units on motorways and national roads,make you feel like Al Capone.Le Havre customs ■■■■■■ you to the scanner,about 10 kms away from the port,if you miss a ferry,its tough,get the next one,or hot to trot to Dieppe.If controlled and get a bulletin de controle,i showed that to them,but made no difference to getting inspected again.They allways at the peages in Bayonne,and scanner seen in the forest road.Allways polite to them,and all goes well,as i speak fluent French,they are surprised,and humoured by this.Handshake goes down well too.