A few trucks from the last few weeks

nice pics, love them draw-bars. Bloody DSV, get everywhere!

I used to have an “A” frame draw bar for a few years running around Europe. Would love a crack at the Scandinavian set ups lie the Schenkers or Gyproc ones in your pics Matt.

Anyone know why they are not legal in the rest of Europe? Is it the length, weight ,both or something else?

Whatever it is, it seems a shame we cant run them!

Good pics though matt.

Bullitt.

length in most cases, some is weight. alot of the Scandinavains use a rigid pulling a standard semi trailer (via a dolly) too.

yeah i think its mainly length, but this week heading back i did see a german man with a 45 foot trailer and a 20 foot one behind that, typical scandi combination, didnt think they were legal there!!!

bullitt:
I used to have an “A” frame draw bar for a few years running around Europe. Would love a crack at the Scandinavian set ups lie the Schenkers or Gyproc ones in your pics Matt.

Anyone know why they are not legal in the rest of Europe? Is it the length, weight ,both or something else?

Whatever it is, it seems a shame we cant run them!

Good pics though matt.

Bullitt.

Both, In Finland and Sweden trucks are allowed to be 25,25m long and a maximum weight of 60tonnes with at least 7 axles. In Norway the maximum is 50 tonnes with 6 axles and 19,75m.

euromat:
yeah i think its mainly length, but this week heading back i did see a german man with a 45 foot trailer and a 20 foot one behind that, typical scandi combination, didnt think they were legal there!!!

There are some such outfits on test at least on Germany, Netherlands and Denmark. I think that in Netherlands there are several hundreds 25 meters long vehicle combinations. So these are slowly but steadily coming even towards UK :wink:

I’ve seen Danish registered UPS rigids towing an UPS semi-trailers with dolly in Finland for two or three years and also couple other similar Danish registered draw bar combinations. There are also big numbers of that type of vehicles on Russian plates on haulage between Finland and Russia, but those apparently drive under some type of “Convoy exceptionel”-permit when they’re at the Russian side of the border.

Kyrbo:

euromat:

There are some such outfits on test at least on Germany, Netherlands and Denmark. I think that in Netherlands there are several hundreds 25 meters long vehicle combinations. So these are slowly but steadily coming even towards UK :wink:

I’ve seen Danish registered UPS rigids towing an UPS semi-trailers with dolly in Finland for two or three years and also couple other similar Danish registered draw bar combinations. There are also big numbers of that type of vehicles on Russian plates on haulage between Finland and Russia, but those apparently drive under some type of “Convoy exceptionel”-permit when they’re at the Russian side of the border.

i think the dutch have been able to run something like these for a while but only within a radius of about 50kms of rotterdam i think i got told once, i dont know if thats right but im sure someone will know
interesting to see if it catches on in the new countries, i think its a great idea

Hello,

I might be able to shed some light on this (being Dutch and all :wink: ).

In Holland we can run 25.25 meter truck’s. We call them LZV (lang zwaar voertuig), which translates as long heavy vehicle. They can be run at 60 tonnes. Years ago when a test was run the 50km rule was indeed set, but now we have hundreds and they can go all across Holland. There are some silly rules still though, not crossing railways is one of them which is a bit of a bother of course.
Because of european laws we can’t permanently run them legal, so our government has thought of a trick and run them on “transitional permits”, which means officially it’s a test phase, but in practice it’s common practice.

There are a few configurations for these long vehicles:
1- fifth wheel artic with normal trailer and drawbar
2- rigid with dolly and normal trailer making it a drawbar
3 B-double (two trailers, with the first trailer having a fifth wheel
4 rigid with two drawbar trailers.

Erik

Some pics of this kind of thing…

I used to go quite regularly to Van Uden foods in Haaften in Holland, these are a couple of the trucks they use. The top pic is a 480, the XF105 is a 560.

i can only imagine how long it would take a uk rdc to tip 1 o those! :unamused:

Good pics :smiley: