A few trucks from Australia

Here’s a few pics I got during my recent holiday in OZ. The double trailer combination where they have a semitrailer with a second 5th wheel on it seems to be very common over there, we saw loads of those. We didn’t go far enough north to see any “proper” road trains though - where we went you were only allowed 2 trailers.

Believe it or not Repton we have those in France now, but not so long.
I used think it was just round the port areas of Rouen etc but now I
see them everywhere.

Haven’t managed the size reduction technique yet but as neither
have you I suppose it doesn’t matter. So here is an example of
a Northern Territory train from the firm I used to work for.
(Way before anything as posh as this I hasten to add :frowning: )

BTW Rikki, I have permission from the publishers of this book,
Kangaroo Press, to reproduce as long as they are credited

• ‘History of Road Trains in the Northern Territory’ by
    John Maddock.

Salut, David.

:open_mouth: I thought maybe this would be easier to see. :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Spardo:
Believe it or not Repton we have those in France now, but not so long.
I used think it was just round the port areas of Rouen etc but now I
see them everywhere.

They’re a good idea as long as you have space to actually be able to drive them I guess. A lot of the UK would be too tight for them to fit but I can see they would be great for motorway trunking work. Denby Transport seem to be trying to develop them for the UK (see http://www.denbytransport.co.uk/EcoLink.htm) but I’ve yet to actually see one.

Spardo:
Haven’t managed the size reduction technique yet but as neither
have you I suppose it doesn’t matter.

Yes I have! You should have seen how big those were before I started.

Paul

Very good pic’s, btw aren’t Denby awaiting permission to use that trailer combination on the road?

The trains you shot were mainly super-B trains, as are also used a lot in Canada (and occasionally the US). The third one down is an A or C train. (The letters denote different coupling methods)

Nice Pics :smiley:

mrpj:
Very good pic’s, btw aren’t Denby awaiting permission to use that trailer combination on the road?

Didn’t Stan Robinson come up with one like that as well a while ago?

As for the roadtrains, does anyone know if it is actually possible to reverse one when thy’ve got three or four trailers attached? Or would you just get a concertina-type/train crash-type effect?

Deaks:

mrpj:

As for the roadtrains, does anyone know if it is actually possible to reverse one when thy’ve got three or four trailers attached? Or would you just get a concertina-type/train crash-type effect?

I recall an item on Central news about these vehicles and I’m sure Stan Robinson was the company involved

mrpj:
I recall an item on Central news about these vehicles and I’m sure Stan Robinson was the company involved

I thought it was him. There was something about it in either Trucking or T&D I think as well. Wonder if he’ll expect the driver to pump-truck all the pallets off the tail lift though?! Now that it’s been mentioned, I remember seeing a picture of a Denby twin-artic setup as well.

Deaks:

mrpj:

both Denby and Stan Robinson are working on these

Denby using ones like the pictures above, Stan Robinson using a different Setup

Both are featured in the June Issue of Roadway

The Stan Robinson one works on the showmans roadtrain principle - tractor, trailer, towed dolly and a second trailer! running on 11 axles this could operate up to 84 tonnes!!!

Deaks:
[

The Buntine trains that I used to drive didn’t have fancy letters to describe them.
They were simply 3 semis coupled with 5th wheel dollies. It was certainly
possible to reverse 2 with care but in fact we rarely did. We just never had the
need to. Loading and tipping was normally done through side gates onto a
drive through dock, or side ramp. I never saw more than that reversed but, as I
said there was no need, if you missed your turning, the only one for 300 miles,
you just did a great big Uie in the bush :laughing:

Steve,
Thanks for the resize, you will have guessed I posted that before my Eureka
moment (see ‘Experiment’ thread) :sunglasses: .

Salut, David.

Good pics Repton!
BTW,where was that last picture taken?The B-Double with containers as it looks very familiar.

boots:
Good pics Repton!
BTW,where was that last picture taken?The B-Double with containers as it looks very familiar.

Some container yard or other in Melbourne. I can’t remember where it was exactly but it was within sight of a chuffing huge road bridge if that helps at all :wink:

Paul

Repton,thought I recognised the yard!You should have given me a yell,I know in hindsight etc etc,I am employed there!
I would have got you a ride in a Super B container outfit.The trucks haul 4 X 20’ or 2 X 40’ boxes on a quad axle lead trailer with a 40’ tag trailer.A lot bigger than a B double.
In todays enviroment entry into the wharves is a strict no-no for passengers without accreditation-you know how it is-but could have you ride along in some pretty spectacular gear,even my old Ford Lousiville,its old ,rough ride,smokey,cabin dating back to the 70’s but its a great truck LOL.
Next time yell out or anyone else heading to Melbourne.

boots:
Repton,thought I recognised the yard!

Did you three 4x4s parked up there last week to go into a container? There were two green and yellow Ibexes and a green Land Rover. We left them there to be packed in a container ready to come back to the UK after the Outback Challenge event that we used them in.

Paul