A fair price?

I’ve just been rang and asked if I was interested in taking a tractor unit approx 12-15miles to a dealership for a service on a regular basis up to two a week would have to be picked up between17:00 and dropped back by 6am the guy is offering between £40-45 per truck,never having any experience of pricing up would you say this is a fair price to pay or should I try and neg a bit more,he reckons as they are new units the turnaround at the dealership should be between 1-2 hrs should I price in any waiting time? there will be no where for me to go once I have dropped off the unit so would have to wait on site till it is ready.not sure if they have waiting facilities at these dealerships and I don’t fancy walking the streets either lol.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

£45 seems a fair price for a few hours work and your not really doing very much. so 90 quid a shift in this climate were in id take it.

Say £50 a truck and £10 an hour waiting time, up to £15 if it over 2 hours. Seems reasonable to me.

As you wouldn’t be able to sort any other work for that day due to the fact it could take 1 hour, or 6, that’d probably end up about £70 for a days work, which is a good deal for him, and a good deal for you bearing in mind its buggar all work!

Alex

he reckons as they are new units the turnaround at the dealership should be between 1-2 hrs

but what if repairs are needed… and they wil be sometimes.

If its a main dealer there should be some kind of waiting room, usually with TV and a coffee machine.
maybe even enough seating to get your head down!
Drive over and have a look at the place.
If you do start doing this before Xmas, give the guy in charge at the dealers a bottle or similar to get him sweet., usually a good investment.

picked up between17:00 and dropped back by 6am

does that mean you could be there all night for £45 :question:

I would drop it off at 1700 ish and bus or blag a lift home and go back before 0600 and collect it 12/13 hours waiting for a truck after service is a pain in the arse.

insurance?
mate of my dads did a similar thing, delivering cars though was being paid cash in hand, had a bump turned out insurance would,nt cover him, as he was not directly paid by the bloke he worked for, (not on books) and he could not say he was subbie,

Northamptonguy341:
I’ve just been rang and asked if I was interested in taking a tractor unit approx 12-15miles to a dealership for a service on a regular basis up to two a week would have to be picked up between17:00 and dropped back by 6am the guy is offering between £40-45 per truck,never having any experience of pricing up would you say this is a fair price to pay or should I try and neg a bit more,he reckons as they are new units the turnaround at the dealership should be between 1-2 hrs should I price in any waiting time? there will be no where for me to go once I have dropped off the unit so would have to wait on site till it is ready.not sure if they have waiting facilities at these dealerships and I don’t fancy walking the streets either lol.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

are you responsible insurance and fuel cost, also look in to the fact that if you are asked to pick up a truck for service and the truck is not there four you to pick up and the driver of the truck mite not get back till later will you sill be paid for it

Seems fair enough although I would be sure to price in a waiting time clause, say £10-£15 per hour or part thereof after 2h waiting at the dealer or something along those lines. That way if they keep you waiting all night you at least get some extra money.

Paul

Worse comes to the worse get yourself a little sit and screw moped you could lift onto the back and tie down in some way. Drop off the truck and moped yourself home. Give the dealership your mobile number and tell them to come and ring you when they are done.

Thinking about it if it is the same dealership all the time just ask them for a quiet corner to store the moped in.

Thanks everyone for all your comments there are some good points there to think about ie insurance so will have to get some more info before I make a decision

BozLeeds:
Worse comes to the worse get yourself a little sit and screw moped you could lift onto the back and tie down in some way. Drop off the truck and moped yourself home. Give the dealership your mobile number and tell them to come and ring you when they are done.

Thinking about it if it is the same dealership all the time just ask them for a quiet corner to store the moped in.
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking :stuck_out_tongue:

Northamptonguy341:
Thanks everyone for all your comments there are some good points there to think about ie insurance so will have to get some more info before I make a decision

I doubt there’d be any issues with insurance. Most hauliers have an “anyone employed by or under the instructions of” policy so as long as you’re doing work for them under their instruction, you’re covered.

I had a couple of customers a few years ago that i did this for. I charged £50 p/truck + vat (Fxt - Stowmarket).It was generally no more than 1-2 hours each time but it is worth ringing the workshop before you go to check there are no other jobs to be done while it’s in. Most main dealer workshops have courtesy vans for drivers to go home in. Give em a bell and find out. :wink: