A diversion on a diversion on a diversion

Most of you will find this post painfully boring but I’d like the cathartic experience of sharing my nightly fun over the last few weeks with you all. My job entails me trunking a van at night, 5 nights a week, from Lancashire to Farnborough then back to Lancashire. If I get a clear run and do 50 through the many miles of roadworks sections and 65-70 on non-roadworks sections (which are diminishing by the week) then I can comfortably do the 460 mile round-trip in the 9.5 hrs my boss deems acceptable to do it in.

However for the last few weeks Highways England have made this nightly trip the stuff of nightmares. Literally every major route south to north is closed for long sections every night. Last week the M40 was closed north of Warwick, entailing a diversion on the A46 and A45. Not too bad you may think, but when you eventually make it onto the m6 the m6 is closed J7-11, cue a painfully alow diversion through Walsall with all the other redirected traffic.

Use the M5 instead I hear you say. Well, not much point in that as it’s closed in 2 sections, firstly near Cheltenham, then further north between J6 Droitwich and J4. Then you can’t join the M6 north at the top end due to the J7-11 closure.

One night I made the mistake of relying on Google Maps on my phone for closure info. I checked it when leaving Farnborough and it was telling me the M1 was fully open. Brilliant I thought, I’ll just get on the M25, go up the M1 instead and use the A50…until I got on the M1 and the matrix signs began flashing “M1 closed J16-18 and 19-21.” In a fit of rage at this point I thought oh well, there’s always the A5 as an alternative. I’ll come off at J14 Milton Keynes and go all the way up the A5 instead. I got on the A5 and was on it for just a few miles before yes, you guessed it, the A5 was closed for roadworks! So I ended up on a diversion on a diversion on a diversion. Up the meandering A508 I went slowly, stuck behind a double-decker Kingsmill wagon who was probably in an equal amount of despair, before I ended up on the M1 I was so hoping to avoid at J15. So i came off at J15a, went up the A43 and eventually got on the A5 again, made my way up that and eventually got onto the m6 before meeting the J7-11 closure. The option of going up the A5 through Cannock and avoiding the J7-11 isn’t open to you as the A5 west is closed near Tamworth. When you do finally get remotely near the north west, you then have the huge stretch of roadworks on the M6 J16-19, often down to 1 lane, to contend with, the closure of the A556 linking to the M56, the M62/M60 J12 link is usually closed (this is a nightly gamble though depending on what mood Highways England are in, could be open but could also be closed without warning), before finally you’re onto the cone-infested 50 mph restricted m60 construction zone.

My question is, why do Highways England think it’s acceptable to close all the alternative routes when they close major motorways? To whom are they accountable? My Company only owns a fleet of 13 vans and carries no weight whatsoever in terms of lobbying power, but does anyone know what the RHA has to say about the situation. I have the luxury of being able to do 70mph and I’m not restricted by tacho rules, but surely the job has got quite literally impossible for any of you operating to a tight schedule at night under tacho laws?

Sprinter Si:
My question is, why do Highways England think it’s acceptable to close all the alternative routes when they close major motorways? To whom are they accountable? My Company only owns a fleet of 13 vans and carries no weight whatsoever in terms of lobbying power, but does anyone know what the RHA has to say about the situation. I have the luxury of being able to do 70mph and I’m not restricted by tacho rules, but surely the job has got quite literally impossible for any of you operating to a tight schedule at night under tacho laws?

Wrong question! :cry:

The real question is why does your boss think you’re a machine and can choose route optimization correctly all the time?
Sometimes the chosen route won’t pan out, my crystal ball gets a bit misty, stop trying to ■■■■ me off! :imp:

Evil8Beezle:

Sprinter Si:

Wrong question! :cry:

The real question is why does your boss think you’re a machine and can choose route optimization correctly all the time?
Sometimes the chosen route won’t pan out, my crystal ball gets a bit misty, stop trying to ■■■■ me off! :imp:

What I’m trying to say is, at the moment, even if I had a crystal ball, it would say “That motorway is going to be closed. And so is that alternative one. And so is the other one. Along with the A-road you could have used instead…” My boss is understanding actually and never questions why it’s taken over 9.5 hrs, in fact the goalposts have shifted and I think he realises that 10.5 hrs is now the norm. But most HGV drivers at night won’t have such leeway due to the law.

Sprinter Si:
I think he realises that 10.5 hrs is now the norm. But most HGV drivers at night won’t have such leeway due to the law.

At that point you become a tramper! :open_mouth:

Excellent post Sprinter Si

I have said it before the Highways Agency have become a standing joke amongst the overnight trunking companies.

How on earth you are supposed to run an efficient overnight time sensitive delivery business using the motorway network is beyond me it seems that this last five years the overnight closures on our major roads has got totally out of hand with even, as you say, the diversionary routes closed at times.

The Highways Agency should be held accountable to someone but it seems that they are a law totally unto themselves.

While we are on the subject can someone explain to me that why every night last week they found it necessary to close a 13 mile section of the M6 North from Junction 7 all the way up to Junction 11 at 9.30 pm resulting in a three mile tailback back down to Junction 6 which never eased until the early hours of the morning??

I thought exactly the same a few years ago when returning from Harrogate back to London one night, as the M1 branched off the gantry said ‘M1 closed’ forgot the J numbers but somewhere around Chesterfield, so I just carried on down the A1. As I got near Doncaster the gantry said ‘A1 closed’ (somewhere around Grantham I think). I would like to think that one of these closures was down to an accident, otherwise someone somewhere decided that the 2 major roads linking Yorkshire with the south could be shut at the same time.
I ended up getting on the M18 and joined the M1 just before the closure kicked in.

Must be a night shift nightmare for the double decker lads, trying desperately to find a route they can use without following the official diversions which will always be rammed.

You need some sort of live traffic system now for lorry driving, night or day, and set it to just ‘‘traffic’’ without entering a desination so you can keep an eye on all potential routes.

Increasingly on early starts i find myself using old routes due to closures and the danger of overrunning roadworks, so have taken to starting that bit earlier to compensate for now planned other routes.

As for who’s to blame, the HA didn’t authorise the import of an extra 10 million people into the country over the last 30 years, nor did they sytematically destroy our industries so we would become a gigantic warehouse stuffed full of Chinese tat, the roads now carry so much heavy traffic due to distance covered, that constant patching up is the only asnwer, the real people to blame for what has happened you will find in the mirror, the electorate and consumers themselves who endorsed all of this.

In January i had Smethwick >Heywood >Smethwick trunk .
Every night without fail i had a diferent diversion around Heywood m6 m62 m60 m56 .all these roads are in a right mess .And surely needs looking into .
Absolutely horrible weather at that time ,and terrible lighting around the road works .I was wondering who was responsible for such a dreadful mess.
I feel your pain ,I really do .

Firstly…

I really do feel your pain. I did nights for many years and despaired at the ridiculous closures that just make the job near on impossible.

Secondly, send this to your MP, Highways Agency, BBC, ITV, number 10 Downing Street and anyone else who might be able to do things about it.

Thirdly, you sure that driving 9.5 every night (obviously much longer when the whole m’way network is closed) is a good idea?

yourhavingalarf:
Firstly…

I really do feel your pain. I did nights for many years and despaired at the ridiculous closures that just make the job near on impossible.

Secondly, send this to your MP, Highways Agency, BBC, ITV, number 10 Downing Street and anyone else who might be able to do things about it.

Thirdly, you sure that driving 9.5 every night (obviously much longer when the whole m’way network is closed) is a good idea?

Your “secondly” is an excellent suggestion: Here are the details of those responsible.

The Rt Hon. Chris Grayling MP Secretary of State Overall responsibility for the policies of the Department for Transport.
The Rt Hon. John Hayes MP Minister of State Highways England, Modern Transport Bill, maritime (including Maritime and Coastguard Agency), maritime security, freight and logistics, environment and technology, skills and innovation, built environment

Most of the OPs grief could have been saved had his company been willing to pay for the M6 Toll. We used to have to try all kinds of wonderful ways to get from Northampton to Runcorn and vice versa and most nights simply being able to pay for the M6 Toll would have saved grief, stress, time and money.