A Day in the life....... (picture heavy)

I take my hat off to the multi drop drivers, I couldn’t do it, every day another van load. What do you lads class as an easy, steady day?

nickyboy:
Thanks for the comments, quite why its ended up in this forum though i don’t know as i never normally go in here. My bad.

Hi nickyboy,

I’ve got a van that’s big enough, and since it’s only one drop, I can move your topic for you. :wink: :grimacing:
Where would you have wished to post it please?

grumpy old man:
I take my hat off to the multi drop drivers, I couldn’t do it, every day another van load. What do you lads class as an easy, steady day?

I can have 80 drops done by 3pm easily, its having to collections in between that slow you down, do your daily collections then bang out another 15 deliveries before you head home.

If i have less than 85 i know it’ll be an ok day

dieseldave:

nickyboy:
Thanks for the comments, quite why its ended up in this forum though i don’t know as i never normally go in here. My bad.

Hi nickyboy,

I’ve got a van that’s big enough, and since it’s only one drop, I can move your topic for you. :wink: :grimacing:

I thought i had posted it in the main forum but obviously didnt, There would be good ta muchly

nickyboy:

dieseldave:

nickyboy:

Hi nickyboy,

I thought i had posted it in the main forum but obviously didnt, There would be good ta muchly

Hi nickyboy,

Sorted and bumped, how’s that for service? :grimacing:

:bulb: Now just sign the “received” box please, and none of that ‘I’ll have to count it first’ stuff cos it’s only one box and I’m in a hurry!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Glad to help. :smiley:

H Nickboy, I’ve done Nightfrieght and Tuffnells, but never done that many drops in a day. well done. Just one question, do you actually get to stop for a dinner break with all those drops?

Good diary and something a bit different and great pics. I didn’t think 100 drops would be possible are some to the same place?

I remember the old merc as well
It was M reg I think when they stopped doing them and brought the sprinter out
Slow as a horse and cart but they ran forever

Great read and great pics :sunglasses:
The uniform for UPS surprises me, the driver that comes to us had shorts on the other day with UPS socks!

I worked for paceline on the vans and i couldn’t hack it, so my respect goes out to you. Now i complain if i have 8 drops and a collection i like my early finishes too much for this working malarky :smiley:

muckles:
Good diary and something a bit different and great pics. I didn’t think 100 drops would be possible are some to the same place?

All different drops, most are only 1 or 2 boxes so only take a min. With the unique trucks its easy to grab your next box and straight out the door with it. UPS spend a fortune on training their drivers to work efficiently and they have a set time that you should take from pulling up at your drop to locking the door as you walk away from the vehicle. Its all about productivity!

JoeG:
The uniform for UPS surprises me, the driver that comes to us had shorts on the other day with UPS socks!

I have my shorts too but stopped wearing the socks when my new boots started giving me blisters. The uniform rule is you have to wear the socks if you wear the shorts.

nickyboy:

muckles:

All different drops, most are only 1 or 2 boxes so only take a min. With the unique trucks its easy to grab your next box and straight out the door with it. UPS spend a fortune on training their drivers to work efficiently and they have a set time that you should take from pulling up at your drop to locking the door as you walk away from the vehicle. Its all about productivity!

JoeG:

I have my shorts too but stopped wearing the socks when my new boots started giving me blisters. The uniform rule is you have to wear the socks if you wear the shorts.

Where are you delivering ?
It must be a big city for you to do 100 drops a day

I take my hat off to you,100 drops round Bicester :open_mouth: i worked at BGP for 9 yrs and going in there and getting paid to was bad enough (but always for some good reading material :wink: ) Do you keep the same van?? if so i will keep an eye out for that reg on the 34 as im always seeing the UPS boys flying about

john deere:

nickyboy:

muckles:

JoeG:

Where are you delivering ?
It must be a big city for you to do 100 drops a day

Nope, average sized town but does have its fair share of industrial estates

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc … 19727&z=13

We’ve got 6 drivers who cover Oxford and each of them do 100 drops or more then there’s the bulk drivers too.

washy jnr:
I take my hat off to you,100 drops round Bicester :open_mouth: i worked at BGP for 9 yrs and going in there and getting paid to was bad enough (but always for some good reading material :wink: ) Do you keep the same van?? if so i will keep an eye out for that reg on the 34 as im always seeing the UPS boys flying about

I know what you mean about the reading material, keeps the loaders at work happy :laughing: :laughing:

Usually have the same van but that one has now been scrapped or at least sent somewhere to be used as a spare. Current one is N320 PNR but we’ve got 15 new trucks coming in July so hoping to get one of them. See one of your trucks presumably heading into the chicken farm in Wendlebury but never remember what your reg is :unamused:

nickyboy:
Usually have the same van but that one has now been scrapped or at least sent somewhere to be used as a spare. Current one is N320 PNR but we’ve got 15 new trucks coming in July so hoping to get one of them. See one of your trucks presumably heading into the chicken farm in Wendlebury but never remember what your reg is :unamused:

I’m normally in a Volvo fm reg KU59 DVW,(the one in my picture),had it 5 days out of 6 this week (had a 10 plate Actros on sat :unamused: ) but im the only one with a name plate in the screen

bowser:
i honestly dont know how you do it , 101 drops plus collections ■■? you’re a better man than me i’ll tell you that , it would drive me mad …

Same here, I had some of that before I graduated to the big stuff, so I know exactly where you’re coming from.

I remember doing ups through manpower in croydon. Never again. After the first day i was begging them to take me out but had to stay because of the money. Took them 3 weeks in the end lol. Bloody hard job. Took alot of time planning the route in the morning but found it worked out better because once I had them marked on the map I was off and knew where i was going. Remember the driver trainer taking me out for a day and going on about how they trained all there drivers up to a fantastic standard only for him to back into a post lmao. Hat off to ya mate. I couldnt do it again. Some days were easy but others were a slog especially getting back in at 530pm to be asked or told to go out and assist another struggling driver. Didnt mind being asked but told… er no love if you had asked nicely then by all means but when you demand that i do it then you can poke it. They didnt like that Even the manager told me i had to do it and then wondered why i was leaving the gate in my car and not one of there vans. The delivery blokes were a good bunch though but like i say never again.

■■■■ run…I used to have 150 stops per day in Taunton. Plus DIAD collections all day, plus regular collections, plus help other drivers. WIMP! :smiley:

bigvern1:
■■■■ run…I used to have 150 stops per day in Taunton. Plus DIAD collections all day, plus regular collections, plus help other drivers. WIMP! :smiley:

ex royal mail driver 120 plus drops 25 collections over 90 drops on bounus of 65p working for promation company now all same day service london to devon border

Mate - you deserve a medal. I done Tuffnels in Ashford, my round was in Surrey, some days doing 15 hours by the time I got back indoors. Reading your post brought it all back to me! I know you defended your van, but mate - your motor’s a shed :open_mouth: No offence :slight_smile: