A couple of weeks in Africa

I have just been over in Kenya and South Africa and I got some photos.
Kenya is a nightmare of bad roads and unpredictable traffic!

A local traffic, near vintage Isuzu tipper.

Here’s an old warhorse. Merc 4 wheeler converted into a tractor unit.

A lot of the heavy vehicles are obviously used imports from the UK like this tag axle Merc.

Tank cap on a Tata tipper.

South Africa was a lot more organised, great roads and some very interesting axle configurations.
Firstly, here are the familiar European type layouts and vehicles.

A Scania with a fridge trailer

The local gas company with a Merc tractor.

Fairly normal looking wagon and drag though the vehicle is a Hino which are from Japan but assembled in South Africa.

More from Japan - a Nissan 6 wheeler tipper.

Now it gets a bit different.

A UD non-sleeper tractor unit and a huge milk trailer.

An International tractor pictured in a tyre depot. Take a look at the trailer set-up. International seem to rank No 3 in sales for heavy, long distance vehicle. Top are Freightliner and second Scania.

A Freightliner with the same trailer / axle set-up

Here is the local, through South and East Africa, long distance rig. 6 wheel tractor towing a 20 foot pup trailer, with an extension to the rear of the chassis that carries another 5th wheel coupling and tandem or tri axles, towing a standard 13.6 meter, tri axle trailer. GVW? 56 tonnes. Will it catch on here? Probably not. Rigs are either curtainsider or flat trailers from which it seems obvious that there is not much dock loading. Just as well as I imagine they would be an interesting rig to back-up any distance.

Here is how the front trailer is arranged.

Nice Freightliner which I had a nice chat with the near-retirement owner driver. He covers all of the lower half of Africa - it gets nasty further up like the Sudan or Ethiopia so no body can go the whole way to Egypt as they, and he, used to.

Another Freightliner.

Here is the exception. Large liquid transport vehicles are all arranged like this with a pup trailer at the rear connected by a small radius 5th wheel plate. Why they do it that way I have no idea.

David

David Miller:
Now it gets a bit different.

An International tractor pictured in a tyre depot.

Looking at the lie of the land, they obviously rely more on Allah than they do on Health and Safety. :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting one for Diesel Dave in his teaching showing how other countries of the world classify Bitumen and the like

It was an interesting idea to jack the front axle on two bottle jacks whilst parked on a hill!

On the bitumen tanker I liked the two gas cylinders for the product heating system that are tacked on the nearside.

David

It would be quite wrong of me to leave this post without mentioning Sid the Bionic African Snail.

Sid climbed up onto the bonnet of the rental car. I took him for a ride and found that he could still hang on at 100 MPH.

Maybe he did not like the speed too much though because he then spent 2 days climbing down and finally made it to the long grass.

David

Pretty intresting to see other countrys trucks

Cheers for posting mate

i was hoping to see spanky’s daf :angry: :angry: :angry:

jessicas dad:
i was hoping to see spanky’s daf :angry: :angry: :angry:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thought he imported them from there :grimacing:

great stuff :sunglasses:

Wheel Nut:

Interesting one for Diesel Dave in his teaching showing how other countries of the world classify Bitumen and the like

Indeed Malc, but first I must thank Dave for posting such good quality pics. :smiley:

The tank vehicle signage caught my eye, and unusually, it’s similar to our own domestic ‘Hazard Warning Panels.’
Being a bit of an anorak on the subject (see, I’ve saved somebody the job of calling me that :wink: ) I noticed that there are two phone numbers, but no EAC. Also (unlike ours) the substance number appears at the top of the panel.

I also liked the pic of the Merc artic in what appears to be BOC South Africa colours that’s carrying the gas cylinders. :smiley: