A couple of quick questions regarding WTD and driver regs

WTD question:

You need a 15 minute break before 6 hours, and then 15 minutes before the next 3 hours is up, and then a further 15 minutes for the 3 hours after that?

Driver hours:

When splitting the 45 min break, how soon do you have to have the 30 minutes after the 15?

Tarrman:
WTD question:

You need a 15 minute break before 6 hours, and then 15 minutes before the next 3 hours is up, and then a further 15 minutes for the 3 hours after that?

Driver hours:

When splitting the 45 min break, how soon do you have to have the 30 minutes after the 15?

No more than 6 hours work without at least a 15 min break - that is any 6 hours

There are then minimum amount of breaks required for the total work done in a shift
30 mins for 6 to 9 hours
OR - not both
45 mins for over 9 hours

The 30 mins driving time break must be done before exceeding 4.5 hours driving time

Tarrman:
WTD question:

That’s not quite correct.

Legally you should have a break of at-least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours working time, that part is correct.

When you need the next WTD break depends on the total length of the shift, if your working time is not going to be over 9 hours you need to have another 15 minute break completed by the time you’ve done a total of 8 hours 59 minutes.

If your total working time is going to be over 9 hours you need to have either another break of 30 minutes or another two breaks of 15 minutes completed at-least 1 minute before the end of the shift.

The reason the breaks have to be completed at-least 1 minute before the end of the shift is because you cannot have a WTD break at the immediate start or end of the shift.

Driving breaks also count as WTD breaks and where appropriate vice versa.

Tarrman:
Driver hours:

There is no stipulated length of time between the two parts of a driving break, but you must have done some driving before having the first part, and the second part must be started at or before accumulating 4½ hours driving time.

Ok thanks, I think it’s starting to sink in now :laughing:

tachograph:
There is no stipulated length of time between the two parts of a driving break, but you must have done some driving before having the first part, and the second part must be started at or before accumulating 4½ hours driving time.

^^^ +1 Just to add… on a split EU Drivers’ break the first part must be minimum 15 minutes duration followed by second part of minimum 30 minutes…and they can only be taken in that order.

Am I right in saying that POA pushes your breaks back? Say I’m due a break in an hour but have 30 minutes POA, i would still need a break in an hour after i finish the POA as POA isn’t a break.

Is that right?

Tarrman:
Am I right in saying that POA pushes your breaks back? Say I’m due a break in an hour but have 30 minutes POA, i would still need a break in an hour after i finish the POA as POA isn’t a break.

Is that right?

Yes.

POA doesn’t count as working time or break, but don’t forget that a digital tachograph will count POA as break and reset the driving time on the tachograph, but your actual driving time is not reset so you need to keep a record of when you need the driving break.

Example:

You do 2 hours driving then do 45 minutes on POA, the tachograph will reset the driving time and tell you that you have 4½ hours driving before needing another break, in reality you will need a 45 minute break after no more than another 2½ hours driving.

This has caught a few people out so be careful when using POA :wink:

Why have poa is it not better to use break

drivergraham:
Why have poa is it not better to use break

Some do not get paid for recorded breaks

There can also be a situation where taking more than 44 mins for the first driving time break can cause the need for an extra 15 mins of break …
Drive 2.5 hours
break over 44 mins = reset driving time
Drive 2 hours
Break 30 mins
Drive 4.5 hours

The above is now illegal but if the first break had been less than 45 mins then it would be legal
If POA was used on the first break to stop the break time going over 44 mins then it would have prevented that happening

Excuse my sillyness but how is the above illegal you have still had 45 break in a 4.5 drive 1st break was 45 for your 15 and 30 for end of driving hours

ROG:
Drive 2.5 hours
break over 44 mins = reset driving time
Drive 2 hours
Break 30 mins
Drive 4.5 hours

drivergraham:
Excuse my sillyness but how is the above illegal you have still had 45 break in a 4.5 drive 1st break was 45 for your 15 and 30 for end of driving hours

He’s done 6½ hours driving with only a 30 minute break.

Ah yer sorry I see now