A couple of questions from a fairly new Agency worker

Hello, just a couple of quickies…

1/ Do we have to carry the little Freight Association envelopes (filled in of course) if using a digital tacho card ?

2/ If you only work a firm for a day or two, how are you supposed to hand in any tacho printouts after 28 days ?

Thanks in advance.

I am new and have not heard about 1 at all. :open_mouth: wtf is that? :wink:

Re 2 - why do you need to hand the digi printouts in 28 days? I suspect most firms have a digicard reader and you activities can be downloaded at the end of the shift. If they still need a printout, you can give it the same day, why wait 28 days?

In case you mean an analogue tacho chart to be handed back in 28 days, then i think it is not your problem. Quite likely your agency might request it on behalfnof the firm so you can just pop in or post them

Daviduk:

1/ Do we have to carry the little Freight Association envelopes (filled in of course) if using a digital tacho card ?

I assume you’re referring to chart envelopes, if that’s the case you should carry any used charts for 28 days even when using a digital tachograph.

There’s no legal requirement to keep the charts in any envelope but they should be kept in chronological order, though I’ve never heard of anyone being done for having charts out of order :slight_smile: :wink:

Daviduk:
2/ If you only work a firm for a day or two, how are you supposed to hand in any tacho printouts after 28 days ?

The only printouts that are legally required are printouts that are done to explain a deviation from the regulations, how you get legally required printouts and charts to the operator after 28 days is your problem, if the operator is local call in if the operator isn’t local post them.
Assuming that you’re an agency driver you can give them to the agency bods, but only if you trust the agency to hand them in for you.

Priest:
In case you mean an analogue tacho chart to be handed back in 28 days, then i think it is not your problem.

Legally it’s the drivers responsibility to hand used tachograph charts in to the operator after 28 days but no later than 42 days.

Thank you

tachograph:

Daviduk:

I assume you’re referring to chart envelopes, if that’s the case you should carry any used charts for 28 days even when using a digital tachograph.

There’s no legal requirement to keep the charts in any envelope but they should be kept in chronological order, though I’ve never heard of anyone being done for having charts out of order :slight_smile: :wink:

Daviduk:

The only printouts that are legally required are printouts that are done to explain a deviation from the regulations, how you get legally required printouts and charts to the operator after 28 days is your problem, if the operator is local call in if the operator isn’t local post them.
Assuming that you’re an agency driver you can give them to the agency bods, but only if you trust the agency to hand them in for you.

Priest:
In case you mean an analogue tacho chart to be handed back in 28 days, then i think it is not your problem.

Legally it’s the drivers responsibility to hand used tachograph charts in to the operator after 28 days but no later than 42 days.

I meant that would you need to carry an envelope if you only used a digital card, so no charts?

Priest:
I am new and have not heard about 1 at all. :open_mouth: wtf is that? :wink:

Re 2 - why do you need to hand the digi printouts in 28 days? I suspect most firms have a digicard reader and you activities can be downloaded at the end of the shift. If they still need a printout, you can give it the same day, why wait 28 days?

In case you mean an analogue tacho chart to be handed back in 28 days, then i think it is not your problem. Quite likely your agency might request it on behalfnof the firm so you can just pop in or post them

If you’ve printed out your activities because you need to explain on the rear of the printout (for example) an incorrect manual entry, then you would need to carry the printout for 28 days to present to VOSA / Police. So you can’t hand it in on the same day.

Daviduk:
I meant that would you need to carry an envelope if you only used a digital card, so no charts?

I see, you don’t need to carry an envelope and you only need to complete one if your agency or employer have asked you to.

The envelopes you’re referring to are just a convenient way of keeping charts, I assume it’s what your agency have given you but they’re not legally required, so no you don’t have to carry them.

tachograph:

Daviduk:

I see, you don’t need to carry an envelope and you only need to complete one if your agency or employer have asked you to.

The envelopes you’re referring to are just a convenient way of keeping charts, I assume it’s what your agency have given you but they’re not legally required, so no you don’t have to carry them.

Thank you. My first job back in July was with a firm that wanted the envelopes filled in on the front, and carried even though all their tachos were digital. So I’ve continued filling one in ever since, it appears I’ve been wasting my time. :unamused:

Daviduk:
Thank you. My first job back in July was with a firm that wanted the envelopes filled in on the front, and carried even though all their tachos were digital. So I’ve continued filling one in ever since, it appears I’ve been wasting my time. :unamused:

Yep I’m afraid you have been wasting your time, still we live and learn :wink:

Thanks for correcting me

On 2: yes, you’ve been wasting your time, although if you happened to be stopped by plod/VOSA, they might look favourably on you maintaining extra manual records.

On 1: My experience is this:
For paper charts, usually the company wants to take a photocopy of the chart at the end of the shift. This is in case you don’t bother to send it back. You then need to keep it for 28 days and then return it. Personally, I used to take a scan of the chart first, and then post it back to the agency (the scan was in case it was lost in the post or by the agency).

For digital tachos, as others have said, you don’t legally need a printout unless you need to explain a deviation from the regulations. Just downloading your card at the end of the shift is enough. In my case, the agency liked me to do a printout and send it to them as proof of hours worked in case there was any disagreement. This is up to your agency as to whether they want it. If you do need to explain a deviation from the regulations, then do two printouts and write the same thing on both of them. Hand one in to the client at the end of the shift, and carry the other one with you. That way, you can just chuck it away after 28 days.