A Christmas Tale - The Real Story!

It had been one of those bad trips!

Nothing disastrous but a catalogue of small irritations starting with my arrival at Koln Eifeltor Guterbahnhof on the outbound leg, expecting a night’s sleep on the Kombivehrkehr to Ludwigsburg. “Ve gif you paper, you can drive.” The gruff Deutsche Bundesbahn functionary informed me as he stamped my ticket. “Why,” I asked. “Ve are voll mit Schenker contract,” was the reply as the window in the booking office was closed on my frowning visage. I knocked on the window and it was grudgingly opened, “What about my diesel?” I asked. “Is your problem,” came the surly reply. “But I’ve paid the train fare and now you tell me you can’t take me on my reserved train and now I have to pay diesel and presumably more road tax!” The uncivil servant on the other side muttered, “You wait ‘till tomorrow train or you drive,” You can take me tomorrow?” I continued. The clerk merely shrugged and shut the window. Fuming I returned to my truck and sat behind the wheel weighing up the options as my blood pressure returned to something approaching normality.

I knew I had made a mistake when Ken in the office had cajoled me into leaving for Istanbul on December 9th when he had solemnly promised me Christmas at home with the family before I had agreed to the previous trip where I had unexpectedly had to backload mohair from a plant near Sivas in snowbound eastern Turkey which had cost me an additional week. “Don’t worry,” he had assured me over the phone in the company’s office on ■■■■■■■■■■■ Caddesi in Istabul, “I’ll guarantee I won’t send you out again before Christmas!” And so I had traipsed through the foul Turkish winter over Bolu, through Ankara, over the pass at Akdagmadenli and at last loaded, within a couple of hours as it turned out, at the Teksa plant on the east side of Sivas city. That was the easy bit. It had then taken two whole days to obtain the customs papers and I was not a happy bunny when I had locked up the GMC at Harem, taken the car ferry across to Sirkeci , and then a taxi to the office where the charming Madame Ira Maslenikoff had organised all the transit documents. Once again Ken had reassured me that this would be my last trip before the festive season and I had achieved a flyer with a four day transit back to London. I left the trailer in Dover and hotfooted it up to the smoke in the tractor, parking it in the Vauxhall Bridge coach park before catching the tube up to the West End.

Ken Johnson, the manager, a jolly rotund bespectacled young man, had welcomed me as I entered the OHS office just off Oxford circus. A little bit too welcoming I had felt and my defences were up as I handed in my paperwork and my expenses. I should have guessed something was up when he passed them without comment handing the papers to Kebir Atlas with the instruction to pay me in cash. “It will take time,” Kebir had replied, “I need to visit the bank.” “It’s lunchtime,” Ken announced, “Let’s go down to the pub!” This was common practice at the time so I was not particularly forewarned of Ken’s evil intentions. “Andy,” he said as he handed me a pint of Youngs SPA, “We have a problem and I need your help.” Now my defences were definitely rising. I took a long draught of the cool nectar as he continued. “We took on an emergency load of axles out of Eaton’s for the Bedford plant in Istanbul. Mehmet Ali should have been here to collect it but he’s broken down in Van Hove’s having dropped a piston. Won’t be moving for at least a week and the Bedford plant will be at a standstill by then. I’m really sorry,” and here there was real concern in his eyes, “But I need you to turn round today and be on the ferry tonight.” “But I’ve not even been home yet,” I blustered. “Look Andy there’s no other way to put this. We’re in the shxt. Genoto, the Bedford dealer is our second biggest customer and if we lose them I can’t see Orhan buying any more trucks for the UK operation. By the way I’m authorised to offer you an extra £200 and I’ll make sure we don’t question your expenses!” he smiled. “Ken you promised I’d be home for Christmas.” “You’ll still be home in time. Istanbul have your back load ready now. It’s from Soktas which is on the European side so you’ll have a fast turnround. You’ve got fourteen days after all!” and so muggins had agreed, phoned a furious wife, picked up the unit and collected the brand new already loaded trailer from Cooks yard at Rainham. They had just fitted a tilt to the American Dorsey trailer and Ken had organised a shunter to load in the Midlands and bring it back. Normally we travelled unit only in the U.K. as we were only taxed as private cars but on this emergency occasion Ken had prevailed on me to risk it down to Dover. Hopefully this would be brownie points stored up for the future!

So here I was sitting in Koln Eifeltor station, technically out of hours on my log book and with no hope of catching the train. Christmas at home was already looking unachievable and I was cursing myself for being so gullible. I hunched over the GMC Astro’s steering wheel despondently thinking I’d have a couple of hour’s sleep and then hit the road overnight. I knew that if I took to the bunk I would still be in the station come morning. The arc lights of the goods yard were piercing down through the gloom and a light snow fall was pattering my vast windscreens. The train in front of me was loading, Schenker after Schenker after Schenker. The clerk had not lied! Just as I was dozing off there was a sharp knock on the door. I opened the window and peered down at the peak capped official responsible for the disturbance. Good grief they were not even going to allow me to sleep in peace! “You want go on train to Ludwigsburg,” he shouted up at me. “Ja Bitte,” my answer was instant. “Ve haf ein platz at front of train but you must reverse on. Ist gut?” he asked somewhat rhetorically. I had started the motor by the time he asked the question and was waved to the front of the train. It transpired that they had taken a wagon off for repair and when it returned it had to be placed at the head of the train as the rear was against the loading ramp. All the Schenkers were unaccompanied so could not be moved. Truly it was my lucky day. In addition, I was the only driver in the sleeping car so with my choice of bunk got a good night’s sleep into the bargain.

Next morning I was again counting my blessings as we were shunted into Ludwigsburg goods yard. Being at the front I was feverishly undoing the metal clamps almost as soon as we juddered, train metallic brakes screeching, to a halt. Within half an hour I was skirting Stuttgart and congratulating myself on the complete day that I must have saved. Out onto the A8 the snow was blizzarding down and a whistling gusting wind blowing great clouds of it across the motorway straight from Siberia by the feel of it. However the road was dry enough not to worry too much about slippage. Then we hit the Talesberg pass with all sorts of dire warning notices posted at the roadside invoking caution at all times. Here the road bifurcated with the two carriageways separated by the forested mountain and immediately a steep relentless climb commenced. I was running at about 36 tonnes, well within the capacity of my Detroit V8 rated at 320 BHP. The capability of the gearbox however was another matter. It was a fully automatic Allison with five speeds plus a high and low ratio. However the high or low had to be selected while stationary so if you hit country which looked difficult you stopped in good time and selected low before continuing. I knew that the Talesberg was borderline at this weight but had foolishly decided to ‘risk it’. Needless to say the box stared to change down and it was becoming obvious that we would have difficulty getting to the top in high ratio. There was nothing for it but to grind to a halt, select low ratio and continue at a snail’s pace for the rest of the incline. This I did stopping on the hard shoulder. Traffic was light so I was easily able to regain the slow lane and then the truck crawler lane moving at about seven miles per hour. It had crossed my mind that the motor would be sucking fuel at a terrific rate at this speed and further I was gripping the wheel encouraging the beast to keep going as we encountered slightly steeper gradients and the MPH guage dropped alarmingly. Then, without any warning, the engine coughed, missed a few beats and resumed running at a couple of thousand revs. What could it be? Dirty fuel? Air in the fuel lines perhaps? I knew we had loads of diesel because we had left Rainham on full tanks which meant at least 700 litres over the two tanks strapped either side of the tractor chassis. In addition I had about 1800 litres of red diesel in the belly tank which I had managed to have sealed at Dover customs in the open position. Soon the Detroit coughed again, missed a few more beats and restarted and I knew I would have to pull onto the hard shoulder in case we stopped altogether. Once on the hard shoulder the sporadic coughing continued, but I noticed that if I took my foot off the accelerator the spluttering stopped immediately and so I continued in this manner for a couple of kilometres until the inevitable happened and my steed refused to stagger on any further. Once stopped I found that the motor would start and idle but there was no way it would allow us to regain mobility.

Hazard lights flashing, I jumped down from the cab into the snowblown murk and opened the left hand tank screwcap. I could see diesel and estimated it was about a quarter full. The other tank on the right side was still brimming so fuel shortage was not the problem. The Detroit had automatic bleed so there was little point in tilting the cab. Through the trees on the side of the autobahn I could see the odd car traversing what appeared to be a country lane. There was nothing for it but to find a phone and call the London office for advice so I locked up and placed my warning triangle a couple of hundred metres down the motorway dodging the sheets of slush kicked up by each passing vehicle. This in fact was a lucky move because the lane running next to the autobahn became easily accessible through a gate which must have been put there for emergency vehicles. I climbed over this and brushed the snow from my blue parka and gained the lane intending to flag down a car for a lift to the next village from where, I hoped I could phone London. We had had it drummed into us to do everything to avoid being towed off the autobahn partly because of the expense but also because of the interminable time it could take to arrange the tow and the subsequent repairs. Time was something I did not have on my side if I was to be home in time for Christmas. Then disaster really struck! The first car hoving into view was a green and white police Volkswagen. Needless to say, I did not attempt to stop it but it skidded to a halt anyway!

C’mon Andy you cant leave us like this? Its snowing!

Been silent on here for quite a while, never felt the need to post, but, I must hear the rest of this story! Dan

waiting for the next part …

Come on Jazzandy

please jassandy don’t make us waite regards rowly

The door opened and out lumbered a portly middle aged village policeman dressed in a leather coat with grey trousers and black boots. I immediately counted my blessings. If it had been one of the ruthless autobahnpolizei I would probably even now be in trouble for abandoning my truck. “Gruss Gott,” he hailed me with the Bavarian greeting. “Was machen Sie?” “Ich bin Englander” I started. “Ach English. What you are doing?” I explained my problem and that I was looking for a phone as I was sure it was a simple fault that had caused my engine failure. “Ach so,” he said, “kommt mit mir” He signalled for me to jump into the passenger seat and we sped off down the mountain side traversing several hairpins at a speed that only one with an intimate knowledge of the route would have countenanced. Near the bottom we ran into the village of Wiesensteig in the middle of which in Hauptstrasse was the police station. We came to a skidding halt in the slush outside and we entered the modern brick and concrete structure the interior of which was painted in the delightfully varied palette of greens and creams reminiscent of municipal establishments back home. There was only one occupant sitting behind the reception desk but from the three bars on his uniform sleeves I guessed him to be the boss. My chauffeur gabbled away presumably explaining my predicament and the boss looked at me over a pair of half rim spectacles.

He chose his words carefully and spoke in halting but good English. “You should stay with your lorry until the autobahnpolizei arrive and then they will a crash wagon organise to take your truck to a garage.” “But the problem is simple,” I countered, “One phone call and I can be back on the road and save all this fuss.” The two of them discussed the matter and then the boss sighed as he turned back to me, “As you are here already we will let you use our phone but you must pay,” he advised, “What is the number please?” Soon he was on the phone presumably organising what we would have referred to as an ADC call (Advise Cost and Duration). He replaced the received. “We must wait a little,” he explained. About fifteen minutes later the phone sprang into action, the boss lifted it to his ear said “Danke ” and handed it to me. “OHS,” came the voice at the other end. “Ken?” I asked and Ken it was. After I had explained the situation Ken said, “I’ll call GM in Antwerp and ask their advice. Hold the line. I held for a good five minutes with the boss becoming increasingly anxious about the length of the call but eventually Ken came back on the line. “They don’t know,” was his reassuring reply, “They’re going to call the States and come back to us in a couple of hours.” I replaced the receiver and passed the information to the two policemen. “We must take you back to your truck,” the boss asserted. “But what about the call from London,” I asked. “We will take it and give the message to the autobahn police,” he explained, “Now you must go back or you will be in more trouble with our colleagues.” He smiled as he said this and I got the impression that the country policemen were as un-enamoured as us truck drivers at the antics of their flashy motorway brethren. I thanked the boss profusely and once the cost of the call had been established handed over the twelve deutschemarkes demanded and received a stamped receipt. All very correct! Then my original chauffeur drove me back up the mountain once again at high speed depositing me at the spot from where I had been originally collected. We said our goodbyes and he sped off back down from whence we had come and I trudged through the gate only to find the flashing lights of the motorway police now parked behind my truck.

I knocked on the window of the Passat station wagon. “Ich bin kamion chauffeur,” I blurted out to the policeman in the passenger seat as he opened his door. “Where you haf been?” he demanded. Through the fast falling snow and the flurries of slush I told him the story of how I had been searching for a phone and then spotted the police car which had insisted on taking me to the local station. I know it was not absolutely a true version of events but I was in enough trouble without having to waste money on a compulsory fine. I also explained that my motor had died even though I had fuel in the tanks and I was now waiting for advice from London which would be relayed to them by the Wiesensteig police and could they please let me know. “You can not rest here,” he replied, “We will order a truck to tow you. What are you weighing?” I told him thirty eight tonnes and he seized a microphone and gave instructions to his control base before turning to me, “Now you must wait when our crash wagon comes. Do not leave your truck again. We will keep check on you.” And with that he ducked back into the car, the driver gunned the motor, and they were off in a cloud of slush as they swervingly regained the main carriageway.

Two hours later I was gloomily assessing my current situation. One police car had already flashed past, blue lights rotating and klaxon blaring and I assumed there must be an accident up ahead. I had thirteen days to drive out to Istanbul and back to Ludwigsburg for the last train. Heaven alone knew how much longer I would have to wait for the recovery vehicle and then how long it would take after that to effect whatever repairs were needed before I could continue the journey. My wife had been right. I was indeed a stupid idiot to have even thought for an instant that I could be back in time to play Santa Claus to the children. Luckily I had been able to idle the engine so the cab was warm and I was idly twiddling the radio controls searching for AFN on Medium wave when I spotted the tell -tale amber top lights of an American truck labouring up the hill behind me. I was wondering if it might be one of our Turkish sister company’s as it drew alongside, slowed and cut in front of me onto the hard shoulder. It was in fact a GMC day cab Astro and in big letters on the back of the boxvan trailer it proclaimed itself to be from the USAF. ‘Here might be salvation’ I thought as I jumped down from my cab to meet whoever was driving this hopefully heaven sent rig. “Hey Buddy, you from England,” was the greeting I received from a lanky individual. Sporting a baseball cap, a short grey parka type jacket, a pair of jeans and of all things a pair of cowboy boots, I started to wonder if I was indeed dreaming as this archetypal yankee trucker proffered his hand. “You in trouble man?” he asked. I told him the whole sorry story after we had sought refuge from the continual icy spray by ducking behind my cab. “Detroit V8, two tanks, one full, one nearly empty, no power but idles OK. That about it?” he asked. I nodded. That was indeed the situation in a nutshell. “Did you check the valve on the tank linkage?” he continued. “What valve?” I asked incredulously. “It should be under the ancillary tank which in your case would be the nearside,” he explained, “Just a sec. I’ll check it out for you.” With that he was under the chassis and ferreting about for a couple of minutes before he re-emerged smiling. “That’s it buddy. Your valve was off, meaning that the levels in the tanks were not equalising,” he pointed out, “These S.O.B.’s ■■■■ like crazy on steep inclines. Once your tanks run below a quarter, with the outlets at the front you aint got sufficient diesel to run your motor. Never run these guys below a quarter. That’s my advice. Now loosen off the cap on your ancillary and they’ll level up real fast.” I thanked him profusely and offered him a cup of tea. “No time man,” he said, “I’ve got a tight schedule. Got to be back up to Kaiserslautern by tonight. Hey man If I was you I’d get the hell out of here before the crashmobile arrives. That’ll be big bucks.” And with that he was off back through the spray to his truck. I looked into the open diesel tank and checked that it was indeed now only half full.

Regaining the wheel, I gingerly restarted the engine and gave it a few revs. which it took with no problem. Selecting drive and low ratio, I released the airbrakes as I pressed down on the accelerator and with baited breath allowed speed to pick up as we slithered up the hard shoulder. Gaining confidence I swung her over onto the main carriageway and she performed as she had always in the past. For the rest of that long hill and through the Lammerbuckel tunnel at the top of the pass, my eyes were glued to my mirrors dreading the possibility of those ominous blue lights. Once over the top, I stopped again on the hard shoulder, selected high ratio and cruised down the hill attempting to outrun Germany’s finest at my top speed of fifty six miles an hour! I was unable to relax for some time although once past Ulm I stopped staring into the mirrors every few seconds but it was not until I was on the Mittlerer ring around Munich that the panic subsided. My only worry now was that there might be a reception party at Swarzbach autobahn customs. The big question however was who had turned my intertank valve off and why?

That’s a great story so far. Can’t wait for the rest

come on jazzandy-more!!!

cheers keep it coming
Ade

Nice one Andy! Can’t wait for the rest!

Reg Danne from Sweden.

Ps no snow here yet,just rain… ds

Hi all.Danne,where you are there may be no snow but up here we have more than enough :wink:

Hi mike!
Yeah i know,I was up to Svapavara last week with a wheelloader so i got a good look at it :smiley:
I live in a litle village called Gottröra,it’s near Arlanda airport.
We had snow for some day a week or two ago but its now just rain…
Have a good weekend in the snow then :smiley:

I think he’s a dimond driver but a very slow typer lol

I promise this story will be complete by Christmas day but it is fresh and knew and takes a bit of time with checking I’ve got my facts right because essentially it is a true story and the little grey cells are not what they used to be!

Jazzandy:
I promise this story will be complete by Christmas day but it is fresh and knew and takes a bit of time with checking I’ve got my facts right because essentially it is a true story and the little grey cells are not what they used to be!

it’s now boxing day Andy …

Please complete the rest of this incredibly interested and moving tale

I apologise to you all. Put it down to a severe power cut and unexpected inebriation during the festive tide!

The rest of the journey down to Istanbul had gone as well as could be expected, Salzburg, the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Zagreb, Belgrade, Nis, Sofia, Kapitan Andrevo, Edirne , and then the coastal run through Buyuk and Kucuk Cekmece’s into Londra Asfalti (London Road) past the airport and definitely past Mocamp to the OHS garage which was behind the BP station at Topkapi. Here I was to stay the night before crossing the Bosphorous bridge onto the Asian side where was situated the Bedford plant. That evening was spent with a couple of OHS drivers, Stephan the Polish émigré and Hugh the Welshman. The best description of Stephan which springs to mind is that of a cuddly bear. He was a good six feet tall and well bulked out though by no means obese. His round face was surmounted by an ever unkempt shock of curly hair which always appeared to be in urgent need of a wash. His twinkly blue eyes gave away his wicked sense of humour and his generous mouth signified his warm heart. Despite his well-known leanings towards certain noxious and unlawful substances, I have yet to meet anyone who had a bad word for him. Normally dressed in a tight fitting denim jacket and jeans in colder climes he would, as he did now, wear a green/grey parka jacket. Hugh was a somewhat dour Welshman, thin of face and of slim build he was about my height at five foot six and was dressed in a black Turkish leather jacket under which was a patterned sweater. We walked over to one of the Pide (Pizza) restaurants we used and inevitably encountered some Turkish drivers from Contex, our Turkish sister company. As soon as they saw us entering they beckoned us over and bought us beers, thankfully Efes Pilsen as the Turkish Tuborg I found to be almost undrinkable. They knew me and Steve well enough but had never met Hugh. Steve spoke fairly fluent Turkish and gabbled away for some time after which the Turks were looking aghast in Hugh’s direction. Indeed Necmettin suddenly reached across the table and grabbed Hugh’s beer. “What’s going on Steve?” I asked fearing an international incident was about to occur. “Unfortunately,” Steve said in his slow halting but perfect English, “They don’t understand our sense of humour. I just introduced Hugh by saying ‘This is Hugh, he comes from Wales and Fxcks sheep’ They just spent several minutes telling me how wrong this is and that I must tell him to change his ways plus they will not share a table with him.” At that moment our Turkish brothers all stood up to change tables. “For goodness sake Steve,” I said, “Explain the joke to them.” Steve then spent a few minutes conversing in Turkish and I noticed a palpable relaxation of tension. The Turks sat down and Necmettin, with a very serious face, handed Hugh his beer. “Fxck sheep very very bad,” he said and then burst out laughing. They had a sense of humour after all. Hugh’s face was an absolute picture as he finally took in what the furore was all about!

The restaurant was a typical low end Turkish establishment. In the middle of a concrete block of shops and cafes, it was white walled, concrete floored with no carpet, and overlit with harsh white neon battens. Heating was by smelly oil stoves which gave out a good blast of warmth but also gushed noxious fumes from their rickety corrugated metal chimneys. Once the pizzas arrived we bought a round of drinks and so the evening progressed very pleasantly with our Turkish knights of the road. “Loaded at Soktas today,” Steve remarked, “Me and Hugh here.” “Hey” I interjected, “I hope you haven’t taken my load.” “No,” Steve assured me, “There’s five more loads waiting, all spun mohair going to Bradford. By the way man, watch out if you’re loading there, it’s a mud road for the last five hundred metres, you know what I mean? The snow has churned everything up and there’s a sharp turn over a culvert over an open sewer so if you fall in you’re really in the ■■■■, know what I mean?” here Steve laughed his inimitable laugh. “Thanks for the warning,” I replied, “I’ll definitely watch out for the bridge. “If it was west of London man,” Steve carried on in his slow laconic way, “We’d call it the Slough of despond, know what I mean?” he laughed again.

Next morning, the inbound commuter traffic woke me up and I had crossed the Bosphorus bridge and arrived at the Genoto plant on the main Ankara road, called at this point Camlica Baglantisi, by breakfast time. Incoming trucks were handled by a grand old ex-army officer, Emin Ali Ekendiz, with whom I had made good friends, From time to time I had brought him fishing equipment including the latest lightweight rods from England which were unobtainable in Turkey. He sent me straight over to the canteen for breakfast while his crew offloaded my truck. Sitting in the capacious dining room on a bench seat at a long communal table virtually on my own, I enjoyed boiled eggs, and rolls with butter and jam and reflected on the fact that today was the 15th. of December. I had plenty of time to get back to Dover for Christmas. There was a load waiting for me at Soktas which with luck I could load that afternoon and be away from Istanbul on the morrow. What could possibly go wrong?

About ten minutes later Emin Ali entered with his distinguished military gait and sat down opposite me. “We are almost completed,” he said and then he told me about a particular type of fly he would like me to find when I returned to England. I told him about the lack of time if I was to make England for Christmas and asked if he knew a good leather shop locally where I could pick up a good quality leather jacket. “Ah,” he thought for a minute ■■■■■■■■■ his handlebar moustache, “We give our delivery drivers very good jackets. You would like to see one?” I nodded and he barked a command to one of the waiters behind the self-service counter. Within a few minutes he returned with a dark green jacket wrapped in cellophane. “These are very good quality,” he assured me, “you will not find this standard in the tourist shops.” I unwrapped the cellophane and tried it on. It turned out to be an almost perfect fit. “How much,” I asked tentatively. I had been down the road of friends selling goods for their brothers and already discovered to my cost that these were not always the bargains they purported to be. “No charge,” Emin Ali smiled, “It’s a Christmas present from Genoto.” I thanked him effusively. He stood up to go. “Half an hour and your papers will be ready,” he said with a click of his heels as he turned and marched out of the room. He was as good as his word and within three quarters of an hour I had phoned the office, Madame Ira had agreed to send a messenger up to Soktas to receive my inbound papers, and I was out of the road heading back to the Bosphorus bridge.

It was as I was sidling up the truck queue to the bridge toll booths that my day suddenly started to go to pieces. The realisation dawned as I hunted through my wallet that I did not have enough Turkish Lire for the bridge toll. All I had was a one hundred lire note. I pulled out of the line of trucks just past the point where the slip road which leads up from the Bosphorus joins the main carriageway, and I was able to park on a wide hard shoulder about two hundred yards before the booths. I hunted through all my papers, wallet and attaché case but Turkish lire there were none. Jumping down from the cab, I walked towards the control building with the legend ‘Polisi Kontrol’ in large red letters emblazoned on a white board above the single storey structure. Before I reached it I was accosted by a soldier with a white hat. I tried to explain to him my predicament, the main words of Turkish which I could summon being “Para Yok.” He shrugged and almost frogmarched me to the Kontrol point where I was able to talk to an officer whose English was sufficient to point out to me that basically I was in a ‘Catch 22’ situation. I could not cross the bridge without money. I could not use the phone. I could not park my truck where it was. Finally he agreed to call his superior in Istanbul city and I was commanded to wait with my truck until that official would deign to attend to my desperate situation. “How long must I wait,” I innocently asked. The officer shrugged and gave me the typical Turkish “Tsk” raising his head and rolling his eyes at the same time thus letting me know in no uncertain terms that my case was very low on his list of priorities. I looked across the bridge at the absolute mountain of traffic waiting to cross. Even if the superior was to leave his office now, a fact which I seriously doubted, and hot-foot it up to the bridge it would be hours before he could arrive on our side.

Despondently I made my way back to my yellow twin stacked GMC with its black Dorsey trailer surmounted by its bright yellow tilt. It was eleven thirty. I had no way of contacting the office and for all the ‘powers that were’ cared I could sit there all day. The thought of the joys of Christmas at home was starting to fade. As I walked along the pavement towards the truck I looked down the several hundred feet drop to the road which skirted this side of the Bosphorus. In effect we were on a bridge leading up to the massive towers which held the bundles of suspension wires supporting the massive structure built by the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company. Just behind my truck the slip road wound down around a one hundred and eighty degree turn to the road below. Looking north I could see the lushly vegetated gorge of the Bosphorus narrowing on its way up to the Black Sea. Looking south across the two carriageways I could just make out the minarets and domes of the Blue Mosque and Santa Sophia on the far side of the Topkapi palace. However, looking down to the water in this direction I could also see the ferryboats criss-crossing between Europe and Asia and a plan began to formulate. If only I could jump on one of those, I could make my way up to the office on ■■■■■■■■■■■ Caddessi and obtain the toll money but I could not leave my truck. If I did, I knew that they would impound it and I would be in serious trouble. I was in another Catch 22. Beaten but not down I regained my seat behind the large green GMC steering wheel weighing up my options which were actually none other than wait, lose a day or more and fail to meet that last train at Ludwigsburg. I jumped back down from the cab and once again looked over the precipitous drop. The slip road was single carriageway with a hard shoulder all the way down. There was nothing for it I decided other than to reverse the rig all the way down to the bottom hoping that the polis, overburdened with the massive build-up of traffic, would not notice.

Regaining my driving position I started the motor having observed that the polis were not looking in my direction and gently started to ease the rig back along the hundred metres of hard shoulder that remained between me and the slip road. After fifty metres I stopped, turned the engine off, jumped down and nonchalantly strolled about by the side of the truck. There was absolutely no movement from the direction of the Polis Kontrol so I once again started the motor and gingerly continued the reverse. Once I was on the slip road it was all or nothing so I continued in starts and stops as I re-aligned the rig until I had reached the bottom where I was able to reverse out onto the lightly trafficked Bosphorus road. As I changed from Reverse to Drive I looked up and I could swear I saw the polis officer looking over the bridge parapet directly down at me while scratching his head incredulously!

Good reading Andy! Can’t wait for the rest!

Reg Danne

Great stuff ‘Jazzandy’ as always, can’t wait for the next installment :smiley:

Thanks & Regards
Dave Penn;