A bit of info for uk-Ireland drivers

If you have a phone on the 3 UK network, you will not be charged any roaming fees in Ireland. You can also use your data and minutes over the water too.

Might come in handy to someone and would have saved me a few quid 4 years ago.

There are a few other countries but not very many that us truckers would be visiting in our line of work.

Where Feel At Home applies.
You can currently enjoy Feel At Home in the following destinations:

Australia
Austria
Denmark
Hong Kong
Italy
Indonesia
Macau
Republic of Ireland
Sri Lanka
Sweden
USA.

More info - tinyurl.com/m7gvstv

I’ve been with orange for about 15 years. I don’t want to change to 3, But if they don’t follow 3’s lead, i’ll be getting me coat.

limeyphil:
I’ve been with orange for about 15 years. I don’t want to change to 3, But if they don’t follow 3’s lead, i’ll be getting me coat.

To be honest (I dont have shares in 3 honest…) I have found three to be the best network, I bought my phone outright and I pay £15 a month sim only and get 2000 mins 5000 texts 3000 3 to 3 minutes and unlimited internet including tethering. I very much doubt that can be beaten. it is £36 with a top end phone on a 24 month deal.

I also have a 4G handset, it is available on the same deal (Unlimited including tethering) once it is rolled out at no extra cost!

I was in the EE shop to try out the 4G, I put mine side by side and I got 25 MBPS and the EE one got 12! - Bearing in mind mine was not on a 4g connection, it was the DC-HSDPA whatever that is :smiley:

Anyways, if loyalty is important, EE do have the option of adding your plan to the whole of europe, it costs £5 a month and is only valid on 24 month contract so no good if only a temp.

I moved over to 3 from o2 a while ago now , same plan as the OP with the eat as much as you like data plan ( reason I did ) ,I watch sky sports while its tethered to my Tab 3 and it never buffers :smiley:

As they say " Three , it was built for the mobile internet " and I have to agree

I also moved to 3 from orange a couple of months ago, best move i ever made, I’m on the sim only one plan, All-you-can-eat data, 2000 minutes for calls, 5000 texts and 5000 minutes from three to three calls, also i get tethering as well, which i use to connect to my ipad, all in all a much better deal than orange and at half the cost

What’s this teathered thing?

I’ve bought a 3 sim for my second sim but I’ve found that I don’t have coverage in a lot of areas, mostly south and East England. Does anyone else have this problem or is it more likely to be the phone?

3 is crap in my area (Somerset) and simply doesn’t work in the town I live in (Sherborne, Dorset)

limeyphil:
What’s this teathered thing?

Sort of WiFi for your laptop iPad using your mobile for the internet

Tipper Tom:
3 is crap in my area (Somerset) and simply doesn’t work in the town I live in (Sherborne, Dorset)

Three mobile simply doesn’t work anywhere in the South West. And they aren’t really that bothered about fixing it.

3 + Orange are absolute rubbish down south, although i think they have joined forces, my wife had no end of trouble with them, and often had to go outside to make calls. I am with Vodafone, but find them expensive, although tbh i dont use the phone that much these days. But i am considering getting a sim only from somewhere, and getting the phone opened up, as i`m paying £15 for 200 minutes, and 200 texts.

^^^ you can get unlimited texts 300 min calls and some data for 10 a month from Vodafone payg

I was also a long term orange customer,but going back tramping,i wanted to tether my laptop
I found the one plan with three the best deal,
I always seem to get internet wherever I am, but if I want to watch anything, it’s usually a waste of time as it spends so long stop start buffering, but just viewing sites like this are generally ok
I don’t know if its because the phone I got with the deal is a low budget phone, or that’s how mobile tethring usually works.

I have a HTC explorer, it has the internal memory of a goldfish :imp:
When my contract ends, I want to buy a phone outright, but I don’t know what sort to go for, as they all seem so expensive
Has anyone got any ideas??

tonyb70:
I was also a long term orange customer,but going back tramping,i wanted to tether my laptop
I found the one plan with three the best deal,
I always seem to get internet wherever I am, but if I want to watch anything, it’s usually a waste of time as it spends so long stop start buffering, but just viewing sites like this are generally ok
I don’t know if its because the phone I got with the deal is a low budget phone, or that’s how mobile tethring usually works.

I have a HTC explorer, it has the internal memory of a goldfish :imp:
When my contract ends, I want to buy a phone outright, but I don’t know what sort to go for, as they all seem so expensive
Has anyone got any ideas??

Google Nexus 5 if you are buying SIM Free