A bad TomTom 5150 review

Im writing this as quinny asked me to let me know what i thought of my new 5150. (the c key on my computer is playing up so there may be some bad spelling!)
My trusty 910 has packed up after 7 long years, it got me up to Finland Norway and as south as Istanbul no probs and everywhere inbetween, i never updated a map on it, so it was a bit out of date.
When driving new routes (for me) as i went past a service station i would press the where am i button, then press add poi, then add as (in this case a motorway services) a poi.
I did 100’s of these for decent laybys, services, marking exatly where an entrance to a factory was, i would add little markers on roads if there were weight limits getting to somewhere. To do 1 of these would take 5 seconds plus whatever i wanted to write (eg Smiths Haulage entrance here)
Anyhow, after a bit of humming and harring i decided to get a new nav. As i had a TomTom before and found it easy to use i went for another one, and thought i would treat myself to a 5150 as it was lorry specific, top of the range alll bells and whistles.
Ive had it 2 weeks and hate it, i would happily sell it!
TomTom my drive is what i have to connect to to get started, what happens here is when i click on the symbol for it in the bottom right corner of laptop, it says 5150 not connected, so i connect the device, there are 2 new items available, underneath that it says… my drive, settings, close, exit, so i click on my drive, and there is a picture of a forest road, and in the middle is a box to log in, my email address is already filled in, so all i need to do is click on the password box and enter my password.
This is where the problem is…
The box that has my email address and the box to put password in only stays on screen for about 2 seconds (not giving me nowhere near enough time to do it) before being replaced with another box (still with the forest road background) that says connect your device (underneath that it says…please connect your device to your computer to manage it.)
Now i connected my device when i started all this.
Sometimes the satnav says Connecting to your computer, to make a connection between your TomTom navigation device and your computer, all you have to do is go to tomtom.com/get started… sometimes nothing happens, just the map is on the screen asit would be when you use it.
So logging on to mydrive is a total pain, then when i do (if possible) the bloody tomtom isnt linked to laptop, the lead is slack, not tight, both ends are secure in the relevent places, so its not the lead.
Another thing is it doesnt hold a charge.When its in my lorry and plugged in, if i have the key on one click and want to start the lorry up, i turn the key off then immediatly on so the engine starts. Well, in the 0.25 seconds between flicking the key off then back on again, the tomtom says shutting down in 10 seconds, so there is no charge at all in the unit.
The unit itself seems to work ok, thou ive never seen live services work once.
The thing that ■■■■■■ me off when it is in cab and working is, how can it be a ‘truck’ nav… i put all the settings in… weight height, length etc, i havent seen a bridge height marker on the screen, there isnt a bridge height poi in the menu, there isnt even one on the tomtom mydrive, ive seen pictures of roads going red when the vehicle is going past it as its a weight limited road (7.5ton limit) my device doesnt do this.
In fact all the settings i have to put in seem irrelevent to the device, as when i ‘come up against them’ when im out on the road, the device doesnt do anything, or warn me. As said before, there are no poi’s to add to the device like there were with my 910 when i used tomtom home. Mydrive doesnt have any poi options to put on the screen.
There is probably something simple i havent done, but at the moment im wishing i had bought the basic tomtom for a car, then i wouldnt be any worse off with the device and i would have saved myself £200.

As an aside, i connected my tomtom to my laptop when i started writing this, and in the time it has taken me to write all these ramblings, AND eaten a Sunday roast, the sreen on tomtom is STILL saying conneting to your computer, and im not logged in :imp: :imp:

The tom tom turns off when you turn the power off change the settings and yes it is the worst tom tom I’ve ever owned for updating my drive is a load of rubbish

Carl.

I have the same problem with mine, and it is a known TT flaw, but once you have set your account up, you don’t need to put the details in again when you see that screen, as it’s already logged them when you set your account up.

As for the items to download, yes that is it’s achilles heel, so all I do re-open that page, and when you have selected the items you want, it should then show you a spinning circle which tells you it’s working, if that makes sense.

POI options are contained within the Add Community Content tab, which shows itself when you connect the unit, and start the process.

It really does take some working out, but once you know how, it’s actually not that bad, but TT seem to have deliberately made it hard.

In so far as the live services, I’m sure you have to register the unit with TT, and then it will give you the live services.

Ken.

Have a look at the drivel I have written in TomTom/Garmin/Pro in this forum, I too have had major probs with connection and download which is not handy when technology to me is take it and give it a hefty thwack to help it flow better (Does’nt work but the immediate warm feeling helps ).
Have you had it suddenly stop working and show ‘Searching for Valid GPS Signal’ ? If you have you will need to re-boot it (No…this does not mean kick it all over the floor… but set to manufacturers original setting ) means you lose all your POI, favourites etc.etc.
TmTm know about this but conveniently don’t put it on their forum Or let you know.
How did I overcome it …well …press…View route…press …Show instructions…it will give you a turn by turn list of instructions that will help you get to where you want…or lost if you are a complete pleb.

I bought a £53 sat nav off eBay brilliant could not fault it gave clear instructions around London avoided low bridges and weight limits perfect . Until my accountant told me to buy a new sat nav so I bought TT 5150 biggest waste of £270 ever poor routing slow freezes looses signal gunna stick it on eBay I recon and stick to my cheap eBay model wish I had known earlier