£20 DAB radio solution for your truck

I,ve just bought a DAB portable radio from Tesco, it only cost £20 and comes with a USB power cable so you can either plug it into a power socket with an adapter or a USB socket if your truck has one fitted. The telescopic aerial works very well if its near the windscreen when stationary or mobile. The speaker is not great but if you have a aux in socket you can connect a 3.5mm lead from headphone socket on radio to your trucks audio system. The model number is DR1403 and its available in a choice of colours. If you like listening to Talksport, Planet rock, Radio 4 extra or Absolute radio its well worth the money.

cheers bud I’ll get one for the cricket.

cheers mate i will get my mrs to get me one for christmas

Have you tried it in the truck yet? If so, hows it perform? I just need a decent way of getting the cricket commentary. Its pants on MW and LW.

cheekymonkey:
Have you tried it in the truck yet? If so, hows it perform? I just need a decent way of getting the cricket commentary. Its pants on MW and LW.

listen on the web with you phone, tune in radio app for free, then bluetooth or 3.5mm aux to the stereo. just make sure you know how much data allowance you’ve got and keep a check on the usage

Yeah, Ive done that before. But its on from 10.30am till maybe 7-00pm! so Im concerned about the data useage. I dont know how much that would use over a 5 day test…probs too much!

cheekymonkey:
I don`t know how much that would use over a 5 day test…probs too much!

I use tune in radio 5 days a week 7 am till 3pm as much as I can (need a steady signal) and it uses just over 1GB of data :slight_smile:

I’ve got DAB Radio in my 2010 Mondeo, sound quality is good when reception is 100%, but it slow to load the station when you change.

Panick:

cheekymonkey:

I use tune in radio 5 days a week 7 am till 3pm as much as I can (need a steady signal) and it uses just over 1GB of data :slight_smile:

with these mobile phone contracts where you have unlimited data internet
its not actually unlimited
you are only allowed to use 1gb

villa:

Panick:

cheekymonkey:

Whilst it might be the case for some contracts, it’s definitely not the case for them all. Three have a genuine unlimited data.

I have a radio app on my I phone that I can connect to my radio aux via a 3mm lead , but the ruddy phone knocks itself off after 10 mins . anyone got a solution ■■ in case you haven’t guessed im more of a hit it with a hammer person than a tekno thingy :confused:

syramax:
I have a radio app on my I phone that I can connect to my radio aux via a 3mm lead , but the ruddy phone knocks itself off after 10 mins . anyone got a solution ■■ in case you haven’t guessed im more of a hit it with a hammer person than a tekno thingy :confused:

what app is it? there might be a prevent sleeping option or something similar.

the “tune in radio” app, i have it on android, but you can get it on iphone, automatically prevents the phone from sleeping

I have uk radios and the smooth radio apps .

syramax:
I have uk radios and the smooth radio apps .

try the tune in radio app, it’s free and has always worked spot on for me

stevieboy308:

villa:

Panick:

cheekymonkey:

Whilst it might be the case for some contracts, it’s definitely not the case for them all. Three have a genuine unlimited data.

Although even on Three’s all-you-can-eat data plans, it’s only unlimited if used directly on your phone - if you use the phone as a mobile “hotspot” for a laptop or tablet computer, you only get 4GB.

They also won’t let you use a phone SIM in a tablet computer or laptop dongle in order to circumvent this restriction.

I’ve been using the Roberts Robi for ages and find it perfect. Plugs in to the bottom of an ipod to draw power (no battery of its own) and has a 3.5mm headphone jack output.

Plug it into the aux in or a separate fm transmitter if the head unit doesn’t have aux.

Its tiny and also holds the signal very well everywhere I’ve been. Presume it uses the headphone lead as an ariel. 4extra and 6music available all day.

Also acts as a remote control for the ipod and has fm radio too. Its the size of a small matchbox.

Looooo:
I’ve been using the Roberts Robi for ages and find it perfect. Plugs in to the bottom of an ipod to draw power (no battery of its own) and has a 3.5mm headphone jack output.

Plug it into the aux in or a separate fm transmitter if the head unit doesn’t have aux.

Its tiny and also holds the signal very well everywhere I’ve been. Presume it uses the headphone lead as an ariel. 4extra and 6music available all day.

Also acts as a remote control for the ipod and has fm radio too. Its the size of a small matchbox.

how much love

Looooo:

Would 1 off these Robert Robi’s work just vier plugged into the aux socket in a radio ?
Looks a really good piece of kit and I’ve been looking for something for a wile to pick DAB
Up as I’ve had enough of some of the dross on normal radio .

Greggo:

Looooo:

Would 1 off these Robert Robi’s work just vier plugged into the aux socket in a radio ?
Looks a really good piece of kit and I’ve been looking for something for a wile to pick DAB
Up as I’ve had enough of some of the dross on normal radio .

No - it will only work with an Apple iPod. The Robi gets its power from the iPod. Halfords do the sort of thing you want for about 50 quid (same price as the Robi) halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/c … aptor#tab1 - but you’ll also need a DAB aerial which will cost few pounds too.

cheekymonkey:
cheers bud I’ll get one for the cricket.

I already have one for this same reason, got it about 6 years ago, I use an adapted sat nav holder to have the radio on the windscreen for better reception, and plug it into the truck radio aux with a 3.5mm jack plug and lead. I also have a couple off old computer speakers rigged up, and power them from my inverter, so when I and over the keys and truck radio wont operate, I plug the DAB into the computer speakers, Inverter is on a permanent live feed, bingo Cricket, or a bit off 6 music, or world service, or whatever I find. The reception can be a bit patchy, but its getting better :wink:

Ps TMS starts about 15mins earlier on 5live sports extra, for home summer Tests and ODI’s. than on radio 4 LW. No interruption for shipping forecasts, daily service or yesterday in parliament either :wink: