999... There are some scumbags in my trailer

Silly man he should have just turned around and joined the end of operation stack. He could then have opened the doors when he got to Calais. :smiling_imp:

I have scumbags in my trailer most day’s.

They usually get out though once its loaded.

albion:
i was trying to work out how long this had been going on and I was thinking it really started to be bad about 2007 and then I found this from April 2006

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/726478.stm

15 years later and all the problems highlighted have not even been slightly addressed.

So in nearly 20 years no firm individually, or collectively via a transport association, when ordering a new trailer/ wagon made any attempt to work with the firms making them to develop a more secure system? A bit of cord, plastic tags or padlocks is as far as their imagination can reach? Maybe if enough get heavily fined then the hauliers will make a concerted attempt to make THEIR vehicles more secure?

Speaking purely personally, I’m not an engineer, I wouldn’t actually have the knowledge to discuss that; I can go so far, but I’m not an innovator. We actually run very secure trailers hence our only once blemished record around 8 years ago, but that relates to the product we carry being high value and the premium that consignors are willing to pay.

However, it does sort of miss the point that there is a limit to how secure you can make anything. I was burgled once and changed my doors from standard uPVC to a strengthened composite door. I’d have been quite narked if the copper had turned up and said, ‘You didn’t make your house secure enough, here’s a £2k fine’.

There has to be a reasonable expectation for everyone to do their bit. In 15 years +,the governments should have sorted out whose responsibility it is to control the migrants at this pinch point and arrived at a solution. No idea what that solution is, I’m paid to shift stuff, not make government policy relating to global refugee problems. Instead of which, 15+years ago, loads of people hanging around trying to get into trucks. Present day, lots more people hanging around trying to get into trucks…

Yeardley’s AFAIK, have spent over 70k making their trucks more secure and taking preventative action and they still ended up with four illegals in the back of one of their trucks last week

albion:
However, it does sort of miss the point that there is a limit to how secure you can make anything. I was burgled once and changed my doors from standard uPVC to a strengthened composite door. I’d have been quite narked if the copper had turned up and said, ‘You didn’t make your house secure enough, here’s a £2k fine’.

No, it won’t be the police handing you a fine but effectively you get fined by an increase in insurance premiums, make no effective attempt to secure your property and get burgled again and your premiums rise again. Your property, the onus is on you to make a reasonable attempt to safeguard it.

Indeed, reasonable. Re-designing trailers, IMO, is beyond what could be classed as reasonable.

Vid:

albion:

No, it won’t be the police handing you a fine but effectively you get fined by an increase in insurance premiums, make no effective attempt to secure your property and get burgled again and your premiums rise again. Your property, the onus is on you to make a reasonable attempt to safeguard it.

Hmmm Vid not sure what line of work you are in would guess however that you are not through Calais on a regular basis. The people trying to get into trailers are a fairly ingenious bunch, had illegals get into a curtain sider in 2005 cords secured large padlock on the doors and another on the cords yet found 8 Chinese in there in the morning. On checking the trailer everything was all intact no cuts in the curtain or roof they had used a ratchet strap slung over the trailer and pulled it down to release the buckles and slid in then someone had done them up afterwards only sign of a break in was scuffing at the top of the trailer where the ratchet strap had been thrown over. Also know of drivers who thinking they are doing the right thing have told customs they have illegals on board and still been fined must be the only time you report a crime and then get fined for your efforts, be interesting to know if the border agency fined themselves when an illegal came through underneath on one of their vehicles!!!

Vid:

albion:
i was trying to work out how long this had been going on and I was thinking it really started to be bad about 2007 and then I found this from April 2006

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/726478.stm

15 years later and all the problems highlighted have not even been slightly addressed.

So in nearly 20 years no firm individually, or collectively via a transport association, when ordering a new trailer/ wagon made any attempt to work with the firms making them to develop a more secure system? A bit of cord, plastic tags or padlocks is as far as their imagination can reach? Maybe if enough get heavily fined then the hauliers will make a concerted attempt to make THEIR vehicles more secure?

Maybe if France got sufficiently fined they would secure their boarders. Perhaps the hauliers should get together and file a joint action against the European Union. After all, if it wasn’t for the open boarders across mainland Europe it would be very likely that one of the intervening boarder checks would catch the buggers before our drivers have to deal with them in Calais.

if the europeans are so hot on the human rights thing maybe a case could be brought concerning the human rights of drivers to go about their work unmolested and unpunished . the problem is not of their making .