999 calls

Am parked on the A1 and I just had to call 999 coz of some very drunk guy who pulled up in a lexus and started harassing me and another trucker parked up in the same layby. He was stumbling everywhere and he tried my door and banged on my window. I can only think maybe he was after some ■■■■■■■. I started my engine ready to go as soon as i realised someone was trying my door, then opened the curtain and window but i just couldn’t make out what this guy was saying. By the time the police van turned up the guy had driven off. As truck drivers we see a lot of things that warrant a 999 call. Just in the last 6 months i have made a call to report a massive piece of debris on the m6 that tore my mudguard off, a woman driving without lights in the middle of the night, an overturned car lying in the middle of a field, a car on fire and a van offloading goods off an artic in a layby. I have never had feedback from all these reports. I’m starting to feel that maybe the police have my number down as a prankster due to the number of calls i have made from the same number and them not managing to catch anyone. I might tone it down a bit and let other road users report instead. What about you guys? Have u ever had to call 999?

i had a stange call myself years ago when it was the old dial phones…the phone rang.i answered a a guy says.is that 7777 777 7777…i said yes,what do you want.he says…
could you please call 999 for me cos ive got my finger stuck in the 7… :unamused:

I did call 999 once to report a building fire but the operator was more obsessed with getting my name, address, national insurance number, inside leg measurement and what my favourite colour was rather than sending a fire engine so I wouldn’t bother again.

You won’t get feedback, if they thought you were pranking they would challenge you at the time of the call .

Harry - Generally speaking Operators will have another team of Colleagues called Dispatchers, who will have been send the incident electronically, either across the room or across the county depending on the setup, and they will be getting that fire-engine out to the fire , whilst the operator keeps taking information from you.

Harry Monk:
I did call 999 once to report a building fire but the operator was more obsessed with getting my name, address, national insurance number, inside leg measurement and what my favourite colour was rather than sending a fire engine so I wouldn’t bother again.

Ha this made me laugh, so British :laughing: . 999 gave me a rubbish service so I won’t use them again when I’m on fire . Quality :smiley:

Had to call 999 a few times for the usual stuff, cars in ditches, cars in fields, inverted cars and so on. The last time was a few nights ago. Driving down the a1 somewhere near Grantham when I saw a car on its side in the bushes. It’s lights were still on, but as I couldn’t stop safely to check, I called 999. I was giving them the details when I saw somewhere to stop, she asked me where I was, but unfortunately I was a little vague as I didn’t exactly know (yeah yeah, I know, shame on me), when she said “ah, it’s OK, I’ve got you now”. Thinking ab out this afterwards, they must be able to track where a mobile is calling from to locate them.

Came into Calais to see a truck smoking at the side of the A26 opposite carriageway a few months back now, called 112 Sapeur Pompiers who said a fire engine is now being despatched. Dropped tilt, picked up another, had a cup of tea and went on my way, must have been nearly 30 mins or so, went past same truck which was well on fire by now, the cab was ablaze and flames licking the trailer with hazchem markings but no fire engine to be seen and i wouldnt have been the only caller :unamused:

I saw a Bedford TK on fire on the old A2 coming up out of Rochester towards London. Both his flaps were up, so I raced across and squirted the fire extinguisher around under the lid. Some geezer started ■■■■■■ and jeffing at me and said he’s burst a radiator hose. :blush: :laughing:

I saw a flash Audi with the back window smashed in and 4 jakey looking characters in it.

I phoned the dibble straight away and told them where I was and what I’d seen and the operator woman was very happy as apparently a unit had just lost sight of them.

"You better hurry up then, they’re just going up the slip for Junction 7 " was all I could think to say.

Hope the filth caught the theiving little scrotes.

A.

Mrs Windrush is very prone to falling (she has severe mobility issues and brittle bones) so I reguarly need to call 999 to get assistance to help her up again and, as been said, the operator asks all sorts of seemingly daft questions but in reality an ambulance (if avaulable!) is dispatched more or less immediately the call is answered. If you watch the Emergency Service programmes on TV they do get plenty of idiots calling so the operator has to make a quick decision about wether the caller is genuine or not, can’t be easy at times.

Pete.

AndrewG:
Came into Calais to see a truck smoking at the side of the A26 opposite carriageway a few months back now, called 112 Sapeur Pompiers who said a fire engine is now being despatched. Dropped tilt, picked up another, had a cup of tea and went on my way, must have been nearly 30 mins or so, went past same truck which was well on fire by now, the cab was ablaze and flames licking the trailer with hazchem markings but no fire engine to be seen and i wouldnt have been the only caller :unamused:

they were probably still at the station pulling out the dyslexic illegal immigrants who were hanging onto the axles and had flung out all the equipment hiding in the lockers… :slight_smile:

Sat outside a nice place in wilmslow in summer, 458 Ferrari spyder pulls outside the place, beating in mind come through a no entry and decided to park in a disabled space! :imp: so I said " nice parking, forgot your wheelchair? " :grimacing: " foxtrot oscar the reply! " :sunglasses: no probs think i :smiley: " you’re on fire, you pompous richard head! :smiley: " his face as he turned around, PRICELESS! :wink: said to restaurant owner who owns the place, " don’t give the [zb] the fire extinguisher! Lol " :sunglasses: beautiful. Just beautiful. :sunglasses:

I’ve called for the usual things you’d see at night.

Drunk drivers (although i never assume this, driver could be having some kind of medical issue, this seems to be happening more and more)

While i don’t bother to call in every mobile phone user, i have called in people really taking the ■■■■. Most recent was a van driver on the M6 who had a laptop perched on his dashboard so he could watch the wrestling. Speed was hovering from 50 to 60 so you can imagine how much of a pain he became for every truck around him constantly re overtaking him.

Seen a couple of cars that’ve left the road, always call it in incase anyone inside is trapped

Saw recently on the M1 that a car on the other side had hit the central res and was smoking pretty badly but given the state of our motorways there was no hard shoulder for me to stop on. It was around 2am on a sunday so would’ve been easy for me to throw a hi vis coat on and run over as there was nobody else on the road but the endless roadworks didn’t allow it. Police had already found in on the camera system but thanked me anyway.

Only other thing is debris really, every now and then you come across something large enough to do some damage thats found its way into the middle of the road.

I find its always worth a call, you could be saving someones life by doing so wether its someone trapped in a crash, someone having medical problems or stopping some drunk from killing an innocent driver.

I’ve phoned 999 twice whilst on the road one for a drunk driver and once for a van that was in a field after coming off the motorway…both times I’ve had a call back thanking me for ringing it in,and they told me the drunk driver was twice over the limit :open_mouth:

don’t know where you blokes drive but in 28 years of driving I have never had to call 999,i’ve driven up and down most of the country but never seen anything like the stuff you guys have seen,you allways see these police chases on the interceptors but I have never seen one live on motorways,never had to report drunks at the wheel,nothing,never been to Scotland so maybe it all happens there [lol]

i crashed through a fence and ended up skidding through a field,then into a river…after climbing up onto the roof and calling 999 for someone to come and rescue me…i got the question,where are you ringing from ■■?..from the neck down ffs!!!..
should i get my coat on now as well?

truckman020:
don’t know where you blokes drive but in 28 years of driving I have never had to call 999,i’ve driven up and down most of the country but never seen anything like the stuff you guys have seen,you allways see these police chases on the interceptors but I have never seen one live on motorways,never had to report drunks at the wheel,nothing,never been to Scotland so maybe it all happens there [lol]

I’v done a lot of driving round Scotland and never had to call 999 either - I sem to miss out on all the action too.

I did once see and odd one though - I come across an incident taking place (heading east from spean bridge) . In front of me was a traffic police car all the lights and sirens on following another car who wasn’t going very straight both travelling at about 10-15 mph this went on for a mile or two before they both stopped and the police officer got out and waved me past. Someone said that under HS they wern’t allowed to pull round folk ? it was all very surreal

Bluey Circles:

truckman020:

I’v done a lot of driving round Scotland and never had to call 999 either - I sem to miss out on all the action too.

I did once see and odd one though - I come across an incident taking place (heading east from spean bridge) . In front of me was a traffic police car all the lights and sirens on following another car who wasn’t going very straight both travelling at about 10-15 mph this went on for a mile or two before they both stopped and the police officer got out and waved me past. Someone said that under HS they wern’t allowed to pull round folk ? it was all very surreal

very strange I must say

Ive phone the police about 5 times in the last year whisto driving. debris on a slip road pedestrian in a suit strolling up the hard shoulder next to the slow lane kids playing touch the central reservation dangerous driving and cos some kids in scouseland threw something at my window while i pulled up at traffic lights then chased up the road after me to do it again at the next lights

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

truckman020:

Bluey Circles:

truckman020:

very strange I must say

Certainly one of the oddest things I have ever come across, no where near as the night of the encounter with the space shuttle, but very odd all the same. It was the interesting dilemma when we got up near the dam and the opportunity to over take presented itself. Is it illegal to over take a police vehicle who is in pursuit of another vehicle with its blues and twos on? I decided not to, the newspaper headlines wouldn’t have looked good “Idiot logger overtakes high speed police patrol vehicle” Even 15 years later I would still love to know what was going on that night.