90 hour driving limit

I was asked a question by another driver today and it stumped me a bit.
Driver parks Saturday morning and takes a reduced weekly rest, and has 7 hours driving left on his 90 hour fortnightly driving. He starts work about 16:00 on Sunday and by midnight has driven out his 7 hours, he then continues to drive (after midnight) for another hour before parking up. He then asks me if this is legal, I say that I think it is - but I want to check. Thoughts?

I would personally say it is legal as long as he stays within the 7hrs before midnight Sunday!

He did, so I think he’s OK. But I don’t guess when it comes to the regs, if I dunno I ask :wink:

Retro rob:
I would personally say it is legal as long as he stays within the 7hrs before midnight Sunday!

Oh hang on! Was Saturday morning his 5th or 6th shift?if its his 6th shift(card in old fashioned days) it would be illegal as you can only do 6 week! So I’m led to believe!

Between weekly Rests - he had his weekly rest, so Sunday is his first card of the following week :wink:

Yup think its ok then! Just not sure on that working Saturday and Sunday stuff! So I keep myself below the law and only do one or the other but preferably neither!

90 hrs is over two fixed weeks 00.00 Sunday to 00.00 Sunday so he’s fine as long as it was past midnight before he went over the 7 hrs.
No such thing as “6 cards/shifts” it’s 144 hrs ( 6 x 24hr periods ) between weekly rests. So say mid day Monday to mid day Sunday for example. As many cards/shifts as you want , as long as you don’t reduce your daily rest more than 3 times and don’t exceed 56 hrs driving in any fixed week.

Retro rob:

Retro rob:

Oh hang on! Was Saturday morning his 5th or 6th shift?if its his 6th shift(card in old fashioned days) it would be illegal as you can only do 6 week! So I’m led to believe!

No such thing as 6 cards anymore… Very old fashioned.

You can work 7 days as long as you do not cross over the 144 hours mark. ie, if you start work at midday Monday you have to be parked up by midday Sunday.

Monday start midday, finish midnight, 9 hours rest
Tuesday start 9am, finish 9pm, 11 hours rest
Wednesday start 8am, finish 8pm, 11 hours rest
Thursday start 7am, finish 7pm, 9 hours rest,
Friday start 4am, finish 4pm, 9 hours rest
Saturday start 1am, finish 1pm, 11 hours rest
Sunday start midnight, finish 11:45am Sunday lunch time.

As long as you don’t go over 56 hours for the week or 90 hours for the fortnight this is 100% legal

I got an Infringement for the exact same thing I started a shift on the Sunday evening did bout 8 hrs driving , the week after I got an infringement as because the shift started on the previous week , the total driving counts on the previous week immaterial that I’d had my weekly rest or that up to midnite I hadn’t done 90hrs ! Absolutely bonkers

Also if you are on 86 hours for the fortnight when you park up Saturday lunch time and then take a 24 hour rest… After you start again Sunday you can only drive for 4 hours before midnight.

WhiteWhiteWhite:
Also if you are on 86 hours for the fortnight when you park up Saturday lunch time and then take a 24 hour rest… After you start again Sunday you can only drive for 4 hours before midnight.

And how many miss that 1 ? Quite a few. Also a lot of our lads can’t seem to get their heads around ferry breaks and the fact that a 11 break is not possible after a 15 hr shift.

I know a driver who thinks of you do a 13 hour day and have 9 off, it doesn’t count as a reduction!

WhiteWhiteWhite:

Retro rob:

Retro rob:

No such thing as 6 cards anymore… Very old fashioned.

You can work 7 days as long as you do not cross over the 144 hours mark. ie, if you start work at midday Monday you have to be parked up by midday Sunday.

As long as you don’t go over 56 hours for the week or 90 hours for the fortnight this is 100% legal

Thanks White, guess I’m just old fashioned and too long in the tooth for this job!

Taxi for Retro! Lol

The same issue has reared its head again … two lots of rules … some for the fixed week(s) and some for between weekly rests

Its about time the powers that be in the EU made everything between weekly rests and daily limits because the rules state that its the safety that matters which in turn means having rested drivers so why should a rested driver be made to adhere to fixed week rules ■■

turnip:

WhiteWhiteWhite:

And how many miss that 1 ? Quite a few. Also a lot of our lads can’t seem to get their heads around ferry breaks and the fact that a 11 break is not possible after a 15 hr shift.

I had to go through this with the drivers, most of them found the ferry rules complicated !!!

IMO this is a ■■■■ rule… You are hardly going to get to the overnight ferry after doing 13 hours and 5 min work and not get on it are you !!!

WhiteWhiteWhite:

turnip:

WhiteWhiteWhite:

I had to go through this with the drivers, most of them found the ferry rules complicated !!!

IMO this is a [zb] rule… You are hardly going to get to the overnight ferry after doing 13 hours and 5 min work and not get on it are you !!!

Totally agree and I will put my hands up to completely ignoring this rule when it suits me. However it did become an issue with our gang because it cost one of our drivers a few hundred quid in France last year.

WhiteWhiteWhite:

Apart from possibly being illegal under WTD if you exceeded the maximum 60hr per week working limit.

Screw the WTD! :smiling_imp:
Looks like I got the advice right tho’ - result :smiley: