9 hours daily rest no sleeper cab

I’m being asked to take my nine hour rest period during the day in order to still be legal for the return drive. The lorry isn’t equipped with any sleeping facilities. Does my employer have to provide somewhere for me to be able to sleep?
Nothing being offered so far.

A hotel should be required

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

A driver may reduce their daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods; no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily rest period.

When a daily rest is taken, this may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities and is stationary.
Taken from Gov web site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tbh i don’t know the legalities of this but the morality of it is shocking! I’d only agree to it if my employer undertook to taking his time off between shifts sat in his car in the Co car park.

Sorry I couldn’t be of any further help, tell them to stick it.

Name and shame them

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

the maoster:
Tbh i don’t know the legalities of this but the morality of it is shocking! I’d only agree to it if my employer undertook to taking his time off between shifts sat in his car in the Co car park.

Ilegal as it’s written in black and white in Tacho regs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crosstown traffic:
I’m being asked to take my nine hour rest period during the day in order to still be legal for the return drive. The lorry isn’t equipped with any sleeping facilities. Does my employer have to provide somewhere for me to be able to sleep?
Nothing being offered so far.

Legally you cannot have a daily rest period in a vehicle without sleeping facilities, if your company want you to have a daily rest period away from base/home they need to book you into a B&B or hotel or make some other arrangements so that you have proper sleeping facilities.

On the other hand if your happy to sleep in the cab no-ones going to know so it’s up-to you really, I wouldn’t do it but…

the maoster:

Some months back I was on a run around North Lincolnshire, and part of the truck broke down. I had to go across to Manchester to get it repaired as it had to be in the workshop.

I kept the company updated as I was only at a day driver but could cope with sleeping in the truck overnight as it had a bunk and a working night heater.

They wanted to get rest of the deliveries done, so they sent out a replacement driver for my unit and a rigid to take me back with its own driver. Richard was a day cab, and by the time they met up with me I was just approaching my 15 hour limit. I spoke with the transport manager and the transport supervisor. Because it was over 15 hours, I refused to come back in the rigid and ended up taking a nearby hotel and the two other drivers went off to complete the deliveries in the artic.

The supervisor had no problem with me going over my 15 hours, even though in the past they refused to collect me from five minutes down the road from the depot, because I had reached my 15 hours.

So it went back to them, and I had a hotel room.

But in my view you cannot have nine hours off without a place to peacefully sleep and rest. Just waiting in motorway services in the sitting area does not count.

Most people need to have to block the light out, and stretch out. Remember that you have to then drive on the road for hours afterwards so you need your rest.

Cheers for the replies.
I’m currently on my daily rest period in a travelodge, however my company say they are still unsure of the regulations on this. We are entertainments industry not haulage so the management haven’t a clue. I’ve only ever driven as a day driver before and rarely came close to my maximum working hours so was unsure.
Feeling a lot more sure of my ground on this subject now though.

Crosstown traffic:
however my company say they are still unsure of the regulations on this

Article 8 - Section 8 (EC) 561/2006.

1. Where a driver chooses to do this, daily rest periods and
    reduced weekly rest periods away from base may be taken in a
    vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities for each
    driver and the vehicle is stationary.

tachograph:

Crosstown traffic:
however my company say they are still unsure of the regulations on this

Article 8 - Section 8 (EC) 561/2006.

1. Where a driver chooses to do this, daily rest periods and