'84 Cargo Renovation

I’m in the process of renovating an '84 Ford Cargo 1013, but without a full manual have hit a few snags :confused: , anyone able to help? Firstly the rev counter won’t work, but trying to trace the wiring I can’t find the engine end of the cable or indeed where it could connect to? Secondly, the temperature gauge isn’t working either, following the cable to the sender everything appears connected ok, BUT there is a second temp sender fitted just forward of the one that is connected, but it’s red/black wires have be joined to bypass it, any ideas please? I’ve found a number of posts saying cargo’s run so cool the gauge never registers anyway, is this true and might the gauge be working but the temp is too low to register? [album]2488[/album]

Has it got the “dover” engine ■■? if so you might find that the thermostat has been removed as they where famous for blowing head gaskets. hence the running cool.

Dont know about the cargo specifically but usually an electronic rev counter picks up a pulse from the alternator.

Hope this helps

Hi I have a workshop mauel somewhere but dont holr your breath .
If you take the sender out reatach the wires & pop it in a pan of very hot water but not boiling & watch the temp gauge making sure the ing is on 7 the battery has some life in it

r slicker:
Has it got the “dover” engine ■■? if so you might find that the thermostat has been removed as they where famous for blowing head gaskets. hence the running cool.

Thanks Slicker, without a manual I hadn’t got as far as identifying the engine, I did try to post a pic but it hasn’t been included.

ERF1:
Dont know about the cargo specifically but usually an electronic rev counter picks up a pulse from the alternator.

Hope this helps

That’s what I would expect too ERF1, but I can’t find a trace of the signal wire from the rev counter anywhere near the alternator, so wondered if it might have a seperate sensor e.g. on the crank? or maybe some pillock has just hacked it out.

tribsa:
Hi I have a workshop mauel somewhere but dont holr your breath .
If you take the sender out reatach the wires & pop it in a pan of very hot water but not boiling & watch the temp gauge making sure the ing is on 7 the battery has some life in it

Thanks Tribsa, that’ll be the next step, having not found an obvious fault.

Sorted the picture in the OP, if it’s any help?

the rev counter runs of the alternator and temp issue is most likely sendor in the head was a common problem with them,
if i remember correctly the temp sender was the same as fitted to ford cars with the pinto engine.

kernowdragon:
I’ve found a number of posts saying cargo’s run so cool the gauge never registers anyway, is this true and might the gauge be working but the temp is too low to register?]

I have run a few of these over the years with the 130bhp engine and they do run cold, check the thermostat to see if it is there and also check that it actually works.

The only reason a Cargo would run hot is if the rad is clogged up. Not overly powerful trucks but will easily reach half a million kms without being taken apart. I also have a Ford manual for these and if I can find it you are welcome to it.

There appears to be several rusty marks on the hose which may suggest water or coolant problems, the thermostat housing looks like it has been apart, so first thing to do is look for a thermostat and then drop the sender in hot water as suggested.

Dont forget winter, and antifreeze when you sort it out.

Ford Cargo 1013

Built: 01.1982 → 06.1994
Performance: 94 kW (128 PS)
Cylinder capacity: 6223 ccm
Engine Code: 130/7 AA-Dover
Tonnage: 10000 kg
Axle Configuration: 4x2
Design: Platform / chassis
Engine Type: Diesel

it might pay you to back flush the rad out ie hose it out both ways you will be amazed at some of the crap that comes out, just a thought good luck passed my class1 in one of those, cheers fredm

your worried about that ?. what about the rust ?. iv got one and its just rusting away sitting awaiting renovation, or the burner.

dbcooper:
the rev counter runs of the alternator and temp issue is most likely sendor in the head was a common problem with them,
if i remember correctly the temp sender was the same as fitted to ford cars with the pinto engine.

Thanks for confirming the rev counter feed, I’ll have to have another dig round underneath, see what I can find.

brados:
I have run a few of these over the years with the 130bhp engine and they do run cold, check the thermostat to see if it is there and also check that it actually works.

The only reason a Cargo would run hot is if the rad is clogged up. Not overly powerful trucks but will easily reach half a million kms without being taken apart. I also have a Ford manual for these and if I can find it you are welcome to it.

Thanks for that Brados. I’ll be stripping off the housing to clean it up and reseal it, maybe replace the hose too as it’s looking very tired, so I’ll discover if there’s a thermostat. If you find the manual that would be brillant, thanks!

Wheel Nut:
There appears to be several rusty marks on the hose which may suggest water or coolant problems, the thermostat housing looks like it has been apart, so first thing to do is look for a thermostat and then drop the sender in hot water as suggested.

Dont forget winter, and antifreeze when you sort it out.

Thanks Wheel Nut, yup there’s some rust and crusty coolant, so it’ll be coming off and sorted. It certainly needs fresh anti-freeze too. Thanks for the specs too.

fredm:
it might pay you to back flush the rad out ie hose it out both ways you will be amazed at some of the crap that comes out, just a thought good luck passed my class1 in one of those, cheers fredm

Thanks freedom, yup it’ll get a flush when I replace the coolant.

ringfur:
your worried about that ?. what about the rust ?. iv got one and its just rusting away sitting awaiting renovation, or the burner.

The cab originally on this one was a touch rusty, well, more of a flintstones job really! Sourced a sound replacement, and now putting the finishing touches to reconnecting everything. Spent today scrubbing the old signwriting off!

If the rev counter doesn’t work it’s probably because on an A-reg (1984) Cargo 1013 Ford never fitted a rev counter AFAIK! They certainly didn’t on the lighter 'Dover or ‘Dorset’ engined variations of that age with XR3 seats :unamused: (0609, 0709, 0811, 0813, 0911, 0913 etc). Rev counters on the lighter Cargo’s were not fitted until Ford merged with Iveco around 1986 (mainly from E-Reg onwards, but a very few later D-Reg registered trucks had them too) . Chances are, it has had a different dash panel fitted from a later model and a botched attempt at getting the rev counter to work. Just a thought!

Wheel Nut:
Ford Cargo 1013

Built: 01.1982 → 06.1994

1st Generation Cargo manufacture ceased in the Winter months of 1992 at Langley as I recall; and a few Cargo’s (most notably heavier weights were registered on a K or even an L-plate). Then Iveco used the plant to make it’s own version of the Cargo after retaining market share after Ford bowed out. This carried on until 1997, when Iveco itself bowed out of UK production and sold the site for housing development.

Arrr harr, found the right info!! Having just checked my Cargo brochure from April 1983, ‘Tachometers’ were only standard on the ■■■■■■■ engined variations of that age, anything else was a Ford Option and probably ridiculously expensive, hence few people went for it. Hope that helps!!

sdg1970:
If the rev counter doesn’t work it’s probably because on an A-reg (1984) Cargo 1013 Ford never fitted a rev counter AFAIK! They certainly didn’t on the lighter 'Dover or ‘Dorset’ engined variations of that age with XR3 seats :unamused: (0609, 0709, 0811, 0813, 0911, 0913 etc). Rev counters on the lighter Cargo’s were not fitted until Ford merged with Iveco around 1986 (mainly from E-Reg onwards, but a very few later D-Reg registered trucks had them too) . Chances are, it has had a different dash panel fitted from a later model and a botched attempt at getting the rev counter to work. Just a thought!

Thanks sdg1970. The drivers manual I have shows the rev counter as an option too, so the cabling for it should have been included in the loom regardless of whether it was fitted, and as far as I can see the plugs/wiring I’m working with does disappear into the wrap of the main loom, looking very factory. It just doesn’t appear to come out at the bottom end with a connection to the alternator, so I’m starting to wonder if it’s been hacked off at some point.

sdg1970:
This carried on until 1997, when Iveco itself bowed out of UK production and sold the site for housing development.

I was working in Langley at the time, although not for Ford.