80 tonne on normal tri axle?

Any opinions of the feasibility of running 80 tonnes on a normal tri axle trailer to Southern Spain, legally and with permits.

Apart from the trailer not being plated for 80 ton ? Heaviest i.ve ever ran a bog standard Broshous tri axle extender was 63 ton and that looked too much

Surely you mean standard as in overall dimensions not axle/ trailer gross weights ?

Dan Punchard:
Surely you mean standard as in overall dimensions not axle/ trailer gross weights ?

Sorry for delay. been out!

I mean a standard dimension/gross weight UK legal tri axle trailer.

The reason I am asking is that someone is claiming they regularly ran to Gibraltar with 80 tonnes on a tri axle trailer, when questioned no mention of special trailer.

I would doubt that a standard tri axle would get very far with 80 tonnes on board

No way the tyres would hack that in southern Spanish heat.

80 t on a normal trailer?
don’t know what axles your mate’s got, even if they were 9 ton rated you would still be 3 times over weight, most axles on general haulage are only rated at 8 t to save weight, if they were BPW the springs would snap on the first pothole, if they were Merc like the ones fitted to a tipping trailer I repair they will crack and fall to bits carrying 29t after a while, the hangers would fold up like a ■■■ packet going round a corner!
your mates talking out of his arse

Moose:
80 t on a normal trailer?
don’t know what axles your mate’s got, even if they were 9 ton rated you would still be 3 times over weight, most axles on general haulage are only rated at 8 t to save weight, if they were BPW the springs would snap on the first pothole, if they were Merc like the ones fitted to a tipping trailer I repair they will crack and fall to bits carrying 29t after a while, the hangers would fold up like a ■■■ packet going round a corner!
your mates talking out of his arse

Those were my feelings exactly, I have never been involved in heavy/abnormal load work so just wanted to check. From what I have seen crane ballast trailers carrying 80t run on six axles.

I think the guy is a bit of Walter Mitty, SAS,Herald of Free Enterprise etc.

When i worked for Prestons we used to run at around 60T gross with a standard extender doing the concrete beams out of Tarmac at Tallington, we had a payload of around 42 ton which the fleet engineer said was fine on a 6x2 special types tractor and boggo standard broshius extender, so you can run over weight without all the fancy tackle but 80 ton is a bit far fetched