75 mph on M6

Can 7.5 tonners on for example a Y plate legally travel at higher speeds on a motorway than say a 7.5T on a 2008 plate?

I’ve seen a couple of old 7.5T’s traveling at what must have been 75mph recently on the M6. Not sure whether this is because they’ve messed with the limiter or because they’re old they have different speed restrictions?

Limiter restrictions have been in place since about D-Reg so that can’t apply.

Sure they weren’t down graded weight wise?

Think 7.5s didn’t need limiting until something like 04 :smiley:

edit jan 1st 2005 apparently vosa.gov.uk/vosa/repository/ … 0dates.pdf

I was about to go into the middle lane and saw him bombing up, thought I’d stay where I was and when he went past he was really shifting, easily over 70mph

Ours will do 75 like y reg

They can legally do 60 like every trucks, that’s the speed limit. Our M reg has no limiter either, or seat belts for that matter!

ibson:
They can legally do 60 like every trucks, that’s the speed limit. Our M reg has no limiter either, or seat belts for that matter!

Erm - no, speed limit for 7.5T on a motorway is 70mph.

wot he said, 70mph limit on motorway for 7.5 tonner, 60 on a dual carriageway and 50 on a single.

Strange, I always thought they couldn’t, I don’t think they should, can they use the outside lane as well?

I usually have a trailer behind our 7.5 tonner, that’s probably where I’m getting confused.

with a trailer = 60 on a motorway, but still 60 on a dc or 50 on a single.
See here: Speed limits - GOV.UK
They can only use the outside lane if they are not fitted with a limiter (and not towing, obviously).

Yes I can see where I was getting mixed up, thanks for the info, it’s good to know, not that our M reg will ever get over 60! Lol

oakeedokee:
wot he said, 70mph limit on motorway for 7.5 tonner, 60 on a dual carriageway and 50 on a single.

Those were the days! 80 plus just couldn’t keep up with national express in the outside lane though! :unamused: :sunglasses: :grimacing: :grimacing:

that’s why lots of bed & mattress manufacturers round w.yorks use old 7.5 tonners with a max dimension body on em.

oakeedokee:
with a trailer = 60 on a motorway, but still 60 on a dc or 50 on a single.
See here: Speed limits - GOV.UK
They can only use the outside lane if they are not fitted with a limiter (and not towing, obviously).

Can you show me where you get that information from?

I believe a 7.5t can still use the outside lane, even if limited, it’s something I’ve often argued against and said is stupid and dangerous, but as far as I know, still legal.

edit

It’s ok, found it in the highway code. Must’ve changed since I last checked up on that, which is when I last drove a 7.5t.

My bad :blush:

What is this outside lane you speak of. In Scotland most Motorways only have two lanes.In effect dual-carriageways but with blue signage.

alamcculloch:
What is this outside lane you speak of. In Scotland most Motorways only have two lanes.In effect dual-carriageways but with blue signage.

Emmmmmm part of the M74 have 3 lanes which I believe is in Scotland :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Didnt think Scotland had motorway above Glasgow :laughing: :unamused:

Just the M80, M90, M9, M876 and A823(M) :wink: :laughing:

alamcculloch:

It doesn’t mean its a duel carriage way because its got two lanes, a duel carriage way is when the road is separated by a solid object ie crash barrier etc this could be one lane two three or more, some are A rated and others are M rated ie motorway. example A3 London 3 lanes A rated duel carriage way but then there is the A38 (M) which has no separation between traffic and is a single carriage way motorway.

The Motorway “network” goes as far North as Broxden roundabout near Perth.We can drive tractors and cycle on duals where we cant on Motorways.

alamcculloch:
The Motorway “network” goes as far North as Broxden roundabout near Perth.We can drive tractors and cycle on duals where we cant on Motorways.

yes you can on A road duel carriage. ways but not M rated duel carriage ways. point was duel carriage way is not named for the reason it has 2 lanes but for the reason of traffic traveling in the opposite direction is split by a solid object creating 2 carriage ways hence duel.