7 mins over a 15 for load security reasons

Right firstly just to stress here, I ain’t getting stressed out, and ■■■■■■■■ myself or anything,.because I drove over my time :unamused: :smiley:

I did a printout and explanation,.so job sorted,.
I just want to know (from guys who know more about this sort of crap than I do,…) . how I would have stood in eyes of law in certain unforseen and unfortunate circumstances. :bulb:
Cheers.

So…Coming back up M6, heading towards relatively secure truckstop, would have had about 10 mins to spare according to plan.

Came up against congestion on M6, had a valuable load on,.stuck there 5 to 10 mins.
I decided then I would be over my spreadover of 15 hours so thought about stopping at next MSA instead (yeah I know :unamused: ) in which case I would be ok on time.

Rang up explaining situation…,
Was told on no account to park in MSA due to lack of load security,.and to carry on to truckstop, which I did and was 7 mins over my spreadover.
So, as I said, printout to explain, shower,.meal, pint… no real dramas,.everything cool.

BUT my question is…
If in those 7 mins after intentionally passing the MSA, a severe ■■■■ up scenario happened,.,.
Would the fact that the reason I drove over my time was (only) for load security purposes,. and the fact if being actually told to do so, be mitigating circumstances in the eyes of the law, if my arse was on the line…■■
Would I be facing a legal ■■■■ storm for doing so,.even though I could have lost my job if I had ignored instructions, and got robbed through the night.

I ain’t stupid btw I recorded the phone call telling me to carry on over.as some sort of damage limitation/arse covering attempt,…(as I would expect no co. backing true to form. :unamused: )

Just curious that’s all.

Somehow i doubt you do this regularly, as such i doubt the DVSA folk would even bat an eyelid and nor would a mature police officer under the circumstances.

Having worked an 18 hour day once, would have been 13 or so but due to blow out on motorway one evening with an odd size tyre (the fitter ended up driving over half east anglia to find one) i then couldn’t find anywhere to stop for another half hour’s driving.
Sure enough following week got pulled for a weight check, handed over my tacho discs as requested and told them there’s a bad one from last week with explanation written on the back, not a problem they said when they came back, said they could see where i’d pulled into various laybys etc and had to pull out again until i could find a space to stop…but the important thing was this wasn’t my regular working practice pushing it to the max.

Its regular ■■■■ takers they’re after, not someone who through no fault of their own had to go over to do the job safely in the big picture, you hear some drivers complain about DVSA crews being shall we say unhelpful, my few experiences with them i’ve found them reasonable and friendly enough if you are that way yourself, but maybe if they come across a belligerent driver they’ll return the favour?

I would have driven into MSA, drive through slowly,looking for a parking place, then driven out to get to “safe parking”.
Sorry officer, there were no spaces. :open_mouth:

Yep I know all that Juddian, and you are right it ain’t a regular occurrence with me.
My point was, a severe ■■■■ up in those added minutes, .bad, or medium to bad rta with bad results.
Would they take pity or ■■■■ me.?
I suppose the only satisfaction due to my recorded call, the boss would be sharing my cell in Durham…(Christ what a horrible thought, him sharing,… not the cell :laughing: ) .
It just got my mind working after parking up that’s all mate.

This type of cavalier attitude to the law is one of the reasons that us youngsters are swamped with regulations after you cowboy old boys ignored every rule that was implemented for the safety of other road users.

If I was the traffic commissioner that you’ll no doubt appear in front of I’d sentence you wear a Sunderland shirt for the rest of your driving career. :smiling_imp:

If your imaginary fatal RTC event had occurred then I think you can safely say that the Daily Fail and all its so- well- informed readers would have been baying for blood. Whether then we would see the wiggies; slavering at the mouth over the thought of their fees and anxious to be part of the forever-quoted “Crown versus Robroy” decision; grasping the lapels of their gowns while pontificating about which clause of subsection whatever of THE ACT, mentions contingency exemptions and whether accepted working-practice previous interpretation can be said to apply to the specific circumstances of the case in question ; is something we would have to wait to see.

Ultimately it would be down to the Crown Prosecution Service to decide: not whether the interpretation of leeway in exceptional circumstance applies, but whether the it is worth risking the wonga on a bet that the jury will convict because they cannot understand the practicalities of a situation.

We know that those at the coal face who look at the tachograph details are realists and understand fully what happens every day, but it is their career-seeking higher level bosses we have to worry about.

the maoster:
This type of cavalier attitude to the law is one of the reasons that us youngsters are swamped with regulations after you cowboy old boys ignored every rule that was implemented for the safety of other road users.

If I was the traffic commissioner that you’ll no doubt appear in front of I’d sentence you wear a Sunderland shirt for the rest of your driving career. :smiling_imp:

No he should have had to of worn a half / half sunderland/borough shirt… also, a season ticket for both to make him suffer fully.

Your going to burn in hell,not bad for a guy who’s mantra is to park up at around 4hrs (“4.5hrs….it’s a limit not a target”) and it isn’t the first time you’ve done it, or have you forgotten about the time you were delayed loading at a customer, and it was your last shift. You had a choice of running over and getting home, or dropping the trailer and having an extra night out and collecting the trailer the next morning and running in. But the footy was scheduled to be on and you wanted to get home.

But having seen through this feeble fishing attempt all I can say don’t do it again

robroy:
Right firstly just to stress here, I ain’t getting stressed out, and ■■■■■■■■ myself or anything,.because I drove over my time :unamused: :smiley:

I just want to know (from guys who know more about this sort of crap than I do,…) . how I would have stood in eyes of law in certain unforseen and unfortunate circumstances. :bulb:
Cheers.

So…Coming back up M6, heading towards relatively secure truckstop, would have had about 10 mins to spare according to plan.

Came up against congestion on M6, had a valuable load on,.stuck there 5 to 10 mins.
I decided then I would be over my spreadover of 15 hours so thought about stopping at next MSA instead (yeah I know :unamused: ) in which case I would be ok on time.

Was told on no account to park in MSA due to lack of load security,.and to carry on to truckstop, which I did and was 7 mins over my spreadover.
So, as I said, printout to explain, shower,.meal, pint… no real dramas,.everything cool.

BUT my question is…
If in those 7 mins after intentionally passing the MSA, a severe ■■■■ up scenario happened,.,.
Would the fact that the reason I drove over my time was (only) for load security purposes,. and the fact if being actually told to do so, be mitigating circumstances in the eyes of the law, if my arse was on the line…■■
Would I be facing a legal [zb] storm for doing so,.even though I could have lost my job if I had ignored instructions, and got robbed through the night.

I ain’t stupid btw I recorded the phone call telling me to carry on over.as some sort of damage limitation/arse covering attempt,…(as I would expect no co. backing true to form. :unamused: )

Just curious that’s all.

Nothing to worry about , it happens now and again where things don’t work out . So being you tried your best and were parked up as soon as you could be in a spot that was suitable for your high value load . A printout along with your recording of the office telling you not to park in the MSA will save you being hung , drawn and quartered.
Was stopped in Perth one day by a policeman on a motorbike who quickly realised I had gone over 20 minutes on a 15 hour spread but still within daily driving limit of 9hrs . On telling him I had driven on to get to a parking place that was well off the road and that I would not park in a layby on the side of the road ( see the thread about the Turners lorry ) he told me I had done the correct thing , was happy with my explanation didn’t even look for a printout ( which had been done ) and was told to be on my way.

Will you…

Be signing the infringement when it arrives?

the maoster:

Ok, ok,.I accept all that, maybe apart from the Sunderland shirt…and definitely not the '"US youngsters ‘’. :open_mouth: :smiley:

peirre:
Your going to burn in hell,not bad for a guy who’s mantra is to park up at around 4hrs (“4.5hrs….it’s a limit not a target”) and it isn’t the first time you’ve done it, or have you forgotten about the time you were delayed loading at a customer, and it was your last shift. You had a choice of running over and getting home, or dropping the trailer and having an extra night out and collecting the trailer the next morning and running in. But the footy was scheduled to be on and you wanted to get home.

But having seen through this feeble fishing attempt all I can say don’t do it again

Wasn’t really a fishing attempt tbf, I just wondered if it was worth risking my freedom for a load of ■■■■ booze,.and how the law would sum it up in a worst case scenario.
As for parking up, I just maxed out for an earlier Saturday finish,.wasnt trying to be a hero. :smiley:

You’ll have to enlighten me what I did on the other occasion mate, …did I really run over? :open_mouth:

Can’t remember tbh, as I suffer a distinct lack of interest in the job these days to recall these sort of things… but I’ll take your word for it anyhow. :smiley:
Send me a copy link as I cba to trawl through. :wink: …then everybody can take the ■■■■. :blush: :laughing:

EDIT…It’s came back to me…
The yard shunter told me ‘‘You can’t park here’’ , and I politely told him to get the law, or ■■■■ off as my time was up.

So I did not break the law,.after all after all. :bulb:

na na na na na…sorry that was childish. :blush: :smiley:

#PIPEANDSMOKE. :laughing:

beefy4605:

robroy:

Cheers.

BUT my question is…
Would I be facing a legal [zb] storm for doing so,.even though I could have lost my job if I had ignored instructions, and got robbed through the night.

Just curious that’s all.

Nothing to worry about , it happens now and again where things don’t work out . So being you tried your best and were parked up as soon as you could be in a spot that was suitable for your high value load . A printout along with your recording of the office telling you not to park in the MSA will save you being hung , drawn and quartered.
Was stopped in Perth one day by a policeman on a motorbike who quickly realised I had gone over 20 minutes on a 15 hour spread but still within daily driving limit of 9hrs . On telling him I had driven on to get to a parking place that was well off the road and that I would not park in a layby on the side of the road ( see the thread about the Turners lorry ) he told me I had done the correct thing , was happy with my explanation didn’t even look for a printout ( which had been done ) and was told to be on my way.

As I said I fully realise nowt to worry about in NORMAL circumstances and how it actually did turn out in the end…no dramas,
It was my hypothetical situation that may have caused a different view I thought.

Asked the boss what he thought this morning.
Was told…
‘Don’t worry, the high value load takes precedence in the end…100 %’':
unquote.

So that definitely put my mind at rest as I believed EVERY word… (NOT) :unamused: :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:
Will you…

Be signing the infringement when it arrives?

If I do there will be a few comments underneath it. :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback chaps, got a bit of a bee in my bonnet on this one,.may even give DVSA a bell (anonimously) and ask them what the score would be.
In meantime I need to look around for a ■■■■ Sunderland shirt. :open_mouth:
:laughing:

robroy:
na na na na na…sorry that was childish. :blush: :smiley:

#PIPEANDSMOKE. :laughing:

Just to rub it in, I pulled my card a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve another one to go before I’m back to work, I’m down in the Algarve atm for the annual motorcycle rally, where it’s 30’C+ the beer is cold and there’s nakid flesh everywhere

na na na na na…Back at ya
#PIPEANDSMOKE. :lol

As others have pointed out unless this is a weekly occurrence they’d barely even mention it at a checkpoint, and probably wouldn’t if you’d handed them a printout to explain. Or you could have gone down the Dozy route and pulled the card as that’s always a good idea…… :wink: Awaits someone missing h the sarcasm to pipe up horrified that a CPC trainer advocates law breaking….

I did a TikTok vid about law breaking in the U.K., as it’s very impressive how it’s been mostly stamped out over the years by DVSA/VOSA/Ministry of Transport TikTok - Make Your Day

switchlogic:
As others have pointed out unless this is a weekly occurrence they’d barely even mention it at a checkpoint, and probably wouldn’t if you’d handed them a printout to explain. Or you could have gone down the Dozy route and pulled the card as that’s always a good idea…… :wink: Awaits someone missing h the sarcasm to pipe up horrified that a CPC trainer advocates law breaking….

I did a TikTok vid about law breaking in the U.K., as it’s very impressive how it’s been mostly stamped out over the years by DVSA/VOSA/Ministry of Transport TikTok - Make Your Day

Call yourself a CPC trainer?? :open_mouth:
Aye it was the fact that I knowingly passed a designated truck park (MSA) (still within my time :bulb: ) which as a matter of opinion could be construed as a suitable place to park in a court of law, despite my boss’s opinion to the contrary for the potential load theft aspect, but decided to knowingly go over my time to the next park instead.

So is potential load theft as the only reason, a good and recognised defence for doing so if a serious rta occurs during the time I went over.
I get all the one off/not making a habit of it stuff.

peirre:
Just to rub it in, I pulled my card a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve another one to go before I’m back to work, I’m down in the Algarve atm for the annual motorcycle rally, where it’s 30’C+ the beer is cold and there’s nakid flesh everywhere

na na na na na…Back at ya
#PIPEANDSMOKE. :lol

Someone asked me same with exact same scenario the other day. Held up in a delay for 3 hours and ended up going over his 15 by 20 minutes despite going past a services with spaces. Like you he had a high value load on, pharma I think and to me that means a non secure service area isn’t a suitable stopping area, and if it went to court I could see them agreeing. On a course the other day we we talking along similar lines about livestock. One trucks suitable stopping place isn’t necessarily the same as another’s