7.9mpg

Not the driver being the ■■■. I meant the bloke in charge.
What a mint way to prove a point. :laughing:

Our FH12 480s average 9.7 or something like that, all I-shift. I tend to reset my fuel trip before I leave just out of curiosity and see what it’s like at the end of the day, it’s usually between 9.8 and 10.6 but have seen it as low as 8 and as high as 11.8. The biggest factor is obviously weight and roads, if i’m doing a lot of hilly single carriageway with villages, junctions, roundabouts it tend to take a reasonable hit, if i’m heavy aswell it obviously takes a bigger hit.

As said being auto there’s not a huge amount you can do, I personally only ever use the semi auto mode on steep hills as the auto mode sometimes make a bit of a mess of it and you end up losing a lot of speed unnecessarily.

And the P mode I hardly ever use, normally only when I need to pull out onto a busy roundabout as quickly as possible, it’s impossible to leave it in P mode though as it defaults back to E after a short while of driving normally again.

I rarely bother using full throttle, the trucks pretty quick on half to 3/4 so am never foot to the floor, again gonna cost mpg if you just floor it every time you accelerate, gearchanges are smoother with half throttle too. And I use cruise all the time, single carriageway, dual, motorway, always have it on cruise unless the road doesn’t suit it (driving through a town). Oh and in my experience I find setting the cruise at 2mph lower than the limiter makes bugger all difference to economy. All our unit limiters vary from 85 to 90 and if you view the dynafleet logs there is no correlation between speed limiter and MPG, you’d need to set it down to below 50mph to start seeing differences I’d imagine.

I have never done a SAFED course but did a fuel saving and familiarisation course with MAN about 10 years ago.

This involved taking a bloke with us from the MAN factory for a week to see how the new trucks performed. There were three of us on the company then and a regular job was from Holywell Green near Elland to Germany. Barry was the first driver and drove up the hill towards Ainley top and was getting advice from Klaus. He told me later he just drove as he normally did ignoring Klaus.

One of the other drivers had tipped & loaded and had also carried this bloke for a couple of days in the UK. Now it was my turn I picked him up from our UK office and we set off to Elland. My drive there was ok and he gave me a couple of tips. it was a 403 Roadhaus with 16 speed ZF box. After loading and chatting for a couple of hours in the factory, it was time to leave. I suggested he drive the first couple of hours and I would watch him :wink:

It is a fair old climb back up to the M62 and Klaus is showing me how to let the engine do the work. I hope he didnt see me smiling as he approached a particular nasty ■■■■■■. The revs dropped, he tried to grab another gear, failed and had to stop with his hazards on.

I took over and drove up the hill with the smell of a very hot clutch while listening to his excuses about container tanks and moving liquid :smiley:

Saving fuel is one thing, replacing modern clutches is expensive too