7.5t weight limit, what if

Got lost the other night and “accidently” went through a 7.5t weight limit, what are the possible consequences if I have been caught?
Oh, I was carrying 24 pallets of beer so cannot really pretend I thought it was OK, thing is the delivery was about 400mtrs away and did not realise until I reached the signpost! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Are you saying the delivery was inside the 7.5 limit?

You’d have to look at the actual wording of the Traffic Regulation Order in question to see if you had a defence…there may well be an exemption for access to premises.

Or its (I believe) 3 points and £60 fine, but I’m not sure if you get the points for a weight offence as its obviously less serious than (for example) going the wrong way down a 1-way.

You don’t get points just a fine, think its 30 quid but mite be 60 no more though. My mate got caught going through one wasn’t a big deal. I certainly wouldn’t lose sleep over it, its highly unlikely you’ve been caught.

If you are caught,
Your company will get a letter from council most likely with your reg etc, with either warning or fine / fine + points

If they had reason to go through (delivering etc) then you might get shot,

just be honest and things won’t be as bad, thats god forbid if your caught :smiling_imp:

I got an official bollocking once as I’d been seen to pass through a 7.5t limit without stopping to load / unload whilst in the restriction. I wrote a letter stating why I’d taken that route believing it to be the only way around an actual weak bridge and that I was under the impression the restriction covered a greater length than the 1/4 mile or so that it actually did.

I got a warning and no further action taken.

That was a genuine mistake and the only time I’ve ever been caught, but in the past I used to not worry too much about them and often would nip through here and there. Being older and wiser I try and keep things right these days.

I got done in Shrewsbury about 3 years ago,cost me £200 fine plus £110 costs :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: No points though.
My own fault though,just trying to save a couple of miles :unamused:
A local counsellor just happened to live in that particular road,and his hobby was peering through his curtains and catching mugs like me :frowning:

If you get a letter from the council, ask them when it came into force? I got stopped for the same thing and it turned out that the council hadn’t completed the legal requirements and it was unenforceable. restriction eventually came into effect 2 months later.

I’m fighting one at the moment, I allegedly went over a 7.5T MGW bridge in a 26tonner, I have watched the Lambeth council video, and I can’t see any signs of a weight limit. On google street view there is nothing about the weight limit on the route in I took. However there was a warning of a weight limit had i entered the road from a different turning.

£65 fine if I lose.

Owen
P.s. annoyingly I was actually delivering to the bridge, just the access was on the other side of it.

Delivery was not within the weight limit.
It was a genuine one off, and a mistake on my part. I did not know the “correct” way in. However it was about 4am on a Sunday morning, couldn’t see any cameras (hoping!!) and I didn’t hit anything or cause a nuisance.
If I go again I will enter from another direction, as they say…

Wouldnt worry to much about it. I go through weight limits @ least 2 times a week.

The old A1 through Fairburn in North Yorkshire is now a 7.5t weight limit. If you’re an old timer and rely on a map and not Sat nav you might go up that way cos you know it to be the A1 when it isn’t now.
Plod was ticketing drivers a bit since, and someone possibly here was facing a court appearance and a hefty fine.

Baggie:
A local counsellor just happened to live in that particular road,and his hobby was peering through his curtains and catching mugs like me :frowning:

More often than not, this is the reason such limits are imposed, nothing whatsoever to do with the condition of the road. I concede that it’s better for HGV’s to avoid residential areas where possible, but it’s quite often the case that genuine mistakes are inevitable due to an alternative route not being signposted.

For example; anyone who’s ever tried to deliver to Usk, Monmouthshire will know that there are a plethora of 7.5 limits, whilst there is indeed an alternative route signposted, there’s also a road signed back to Usk along that route which does not have a limit , but drops you back where you started. To deliver to one of my drops in that area involves either going through a 7.5 limit or winding through some particularly narrow lanes which also happen to be a commuter rat-run; the results can be well imagined. Councils need to show a bit more imagination and understanding when setting these limits out; it is not enough to ringfence the housing estates, a viable delivery route for goods vehicles also needs to be in place, and preferably tested using a full-size artic.

Faced a similar situation in Chigwell, Gravel Lane to be precise. I Had delivered into a weight limit as allowed, and not knowing the area left the site in the only direction I could as I could not physically turn right to leave the job due to a trench and temporary traffic lights.

So I elected to turn left and came to a T junction with 7.5 signs every way except to Romford, which was no help at all, slung a left down Gravel lane hoping to turn around somewhere to retrace my steps, but I couldnt, so I had to carry on to the end of the weight restriction. I then entered a normal non restricted road, and home I went.

Two weeks later a letter from Essex Trading Standards with a frightening letter pointing out the error of my ways and that I could face a £2000 maximum penalty :open_mouth:
I too wrote a letter explaining my predicament and no further action was taken, on this occasion anyway!

I’ve loaded out of the waterworks on Pudding Lane, which is itself a 7.5t weight limit. I was heading for Ongar and turning left out of the works is iffy but technically legal. I turned right and exited the restriction at the junction with Gravel Lane before turning left into Gravel Lane back into the restriction.

Otherwise it’s bloody miles to get round. Got away with that one!