7.5t rules and regs, operators license

I’d imagine that in the UK only you might just get away with a restricted licence but going into Europe I’m sure you’d need an International O licence. You will also need a transport manager with an international CPC. Either someone on the firm could do their exams or they could look at getting an existing TM somewhere to look after it on a part time basis.

Just be aware that your C1E licence will be restricted to 8250kg combined weight, to tow a bigger trailer you’d need to take a C1E test or C then CE to get full artic. Actually a B+E car and trailer test would possibly upgrade your C1 but I’m not sure.

Digi card, fill in a form and send some cash off to DVLA. Job done.

Maintenance agreements are straightforward and whoever looks after the vehicle could provide a draft contract, the TC would want inspections between 6 & 10 weeks depending on use.

I’m sure there is more to be added below, and I cannot guarantee all this is 100% but someone will set me straight. It was 1999 when I set up an O licence for someone.

• Might be worth asking this in the owner / operator forum rather than the drivers one. It might get moved there anyway.

8wheels:
I’d imagine that in the UK only you might just get away with a restricted licence but going into Europe I’m sure you’d need an International O licence. You will also need a transport manager with an international CPC. Either someone on the firm could do their exams or they could look at getting an existing TM somewhere to look after it on a part time basis.

Just be aware that your C1E licence will be restricted to 8250kg combined weight, to tow a bigger trailer you’d need to take a C1E test or C then CE to get full artic. Actually a B+E car and trailer test would possibly upgrade your C1 but I’m not sure.

Maintenance agreements are straightforward and whoever looks after the vehicle could provide a draft contract, the TC would want inspections between 6 & 10 weeks depending on use.

I’m sure there is more to be added below, and I cannot guarantee all this is 100% but someone will set me straight. It was 1999 when I set up an O licence for someone.

• Might be worth asking this in the owner / operator forum rather than the drivers one. It might get moved there anyway.

Thanks for the info, just moved post here on advice of others, but getting the info i need, I wont be towing any trailer, and have also been advised that a cpc coarse will have to be achieved by sep 2014

sean twr:

8wheels:

Thanks for the info, just moved post here on advice of others, but getting the info i need, I wont be towing any trailer, and have also been advised that a cpc coarse will have to be achieved by sep 2014

that is the Driver CPC

for the operators licence, your company will need an Operators CPC holder, they are totally different CPC’s

Ah yes I forgot about the Dcpc, shame that the authorities can’t do the same thing!

-A Restricted Operators Licence - to operate vehicles within the EEC as long as you are only carrying your own goods. The main advantage of this type of licence is that there is no requirement to employ a transport manager with a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) and the financial resources that need to be in place are less. However as the operator must maintain the same standards as an unrestricted licence holder it is advisable to have access to professional advice
-A National Operators Licence - to operate on a “hire and reward” basis (charge for the transport of goods not owned) within the UK
-An International Operators Licence - to operate on a “hire and reward” basis (charge for the transport of goods not owned) within the EEC

the above is what we would be doing, am i correct in thinking this, or what i have found out of date, france spain are eec, is this right, hats off to you guys, this is mine field with rules and regs

sean

The restricted licence is as I understand it a bit of a grey area if you are hauling your own goods to another company. If you are using the vehicle to transport your goods that you are going to install or use then there is no issue. However if you are supplying your products and delivering them then this could be interpreted as hire & reward

In the UK I’m sure that you’d have no problems, I suspect that where you may hit problems is operating in Europe with a restricted disc in the window. Having read about how some of the drivers get shafted over some of the slightest things over there I’d think that getting it spot over in Europe would be well worth it. Getting stopped / delayed / fined in Europe is going to cause delays, aggravation and cost. I’m not sure how much it costs to do your Operators CPC but it might be a better use of the money.

To carry your own goods in the UK, You need a restricted o’licence.

To carry your own goods in the UK and Europe, You will need a international o’licence. You will of course be allowed to cover running costs by bringing goods back from the continent for third parties.

I have been involved with delivering windows in the past, and i would strongly suggest that you look at a vehicle with a higher gross weight. The fines for being overweight can be pretty nasty.

As you are an experienced driver, I wouldn’t think it would take you long to get your cat c/class 2 licence.

If you’re carrying your own goods then you’ll only need a restricted licence, whether you stay in the UK or go off to Europe. And although you don’t need a CPC holder I’d advise that whoever looks after your O’licence is pretty up on regs and paperwork. Including the stuff you need for Europe.

Good morning everyone,
Appologies if this is long winded, i will keep everything as brief as possible. I have a good number of questions and will number each question, hoping that will make it easy to put any replies to the relevant question. Here goes.

Abit of background, I work for a Window company as their delivery driver, Im driving a Merc sprinter long wheel base with 2 side racks, which makes me same width as a 7.5t with racks open, will have the odd lesson to familarise with longer length. Also delivered twice to spain, once via portsmouth ferry, and two weeks ago via euro tunnel, thru france to spain. We have set a show room up in spain and will be shortly running a add campaign over there, and well as a big add campaign in the home counties.

i have been asked to look into the rules and regulations for a 7.5t vehical. and its a mine field. but getting some good info from certain sites.

questions

1. operators license, whats involved. Info i found so far, is vehical storage, funds for servicing and regular checks, a good standing company, all of this we fit no trouble, also the paper advertisement is not a problem, we are on and industrial with companies storing HGV regualry. what is operations manager, do we need to do a course for this, can this be done online or do we need to attend somewhere. We are a company thats owns its own factory units, 3 factory units at our dispoal for storage of vehicals.

2 The license to drive a 7.5t i have the C1 and C1E on my license, so i guess from that part i would be good to go. Passed my test 1992

1. Digi tacho card, what do i need to apply for one and what is the criteria

2. What operators license would be looking to go for, We would be transporting our own goods to companies, with a view to delivering in the uk and europe.

3. The regular servicing of vehicals is not a problem and a contract can be gained for that, we have 4 sprinters which are all serviced at the appropiate mileage or time, the two vans i drive are serviced 4 times a year each on average.

4. If there is anything i have not thought of, i would be greatful for suggestions, what else i need to do. I have been tasked with this from my employer to try and get as much info as possible.

Thanks guys for any info, im sorry if i have asked to much, but we are very new to this, and my empoyer is a by the book company, he likes to dot the I’s and cross the T’s so to speak, Finance for what we need to pay for things is not a problem

1. Is the easy bit gov.uk/apply-for-a-digital- … smart-card

You licence is ok for a 7.5

Are you aware that you will also need 35 hours of driver cpc periodic training beofre 09/09/2014 so that you can drive a LGV C1 commercially after that date?

ROG:
Are you aware that you will also need 35 hours of driver cpc periodic training beofre 09/09/2014 so that you can drive a LGV C1 commercially after that date?

No i didnt, is that a full 35 hour course or can it be done in stages, that also gives us time to get things up and running.

thanks for the good info

sean

sean twr:

ROG:

No i didnt, is that a full 35 hour course or can it be done in stages, that also gives us time to get things up and running.

thanks for the good info

sean

It is done in 7 hour blocks which can be done all in one go or as you see fit

You can do the same 7 hour course 5 times in 5 days if you want to !!

There are no set modules to do - you can choose from hundreds of 7, 14, 21, 28 or 35 hour courses

If you have not been running under EU driver regs then I suggest at least a 7 hour course on them
eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 013:EN:PDF
businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … 1111_3.pdf

You can do any of the courses right now as you have the C1

ROG:

sean twr:

ROG:

thanks for the good info

sean

It is done in 7 hour blocks which can be done all in one go or as you see fit

You can do the same 7 hour course 5 times in 5 days if you want to !!

There are no set modules to do - you can choose from hundreds of 7, 14, 21, 28 or 35 hour courses

If you have not been running under EU driver regs then I suggest at least a 7 hour course on them
eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 013:EN:PDF
businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … 1111_3.pdf

You can do any of the courses right now as you have the C1

Im 99.9% that this will go ahead, as we are now stretched with the van i use, i was down london from north east 3 times this week, and that was down to load capacity. whats is the eu regs u mnetioned. also any idea ball park cost of the coarse

sean

I have put in two links for the EU driver regulations in my last post

Dcpc courses can range from £40 to £300 for a 7 hour course

Take a look at the JAUPT site for dcpc courses

sean twr:
4. What operators license would be looking to go for, We would be transporting our own goods to companies, with a view to delivering in the uk and europe.

As it’s your own goods a restricted O licence will cover you for the UK and Europe.

mrpj:

sean twr:
4. What operators license would be looking to go for, We would be transporting our own goods to companies, with a view to delivering in the uk and europe.

As it’s your own goods a restricted O licence will cover you for the UK and Europe.

I’ve looked at the regs, and it dosn’t look like you can use a restricted licence in europe. They arn’t very clear though. Nothing new there then.

limeyphil:

mrpj:

sean twr:

I’ve looked at the regs, and it dosn’t look like you can use a restricted licence in europe. They arn’t very clear though. Nothing new there then.

You can’t ! You can however transport your own goods abroad on a standard national licence !

From A&D

Classification of Operator Licences — There are three classes of licence:
ï‚· A Restricted (R) licence authorises the use of a goods vehicle on public roads in Great Britain for the carriage of the licence holder’s own goods in the course of his trade or business. The licence holder cannot carry goods for other people for hire or reward;
ï‚· A Standard National (SN) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward, on public roads in Great Britain. He can also carry his own goods on journeys abroad;
ï‚· A Standard International (SI) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward. These activities can be undertaken both in Great Britain and on international journeys.

limeyphil:

mrpj:

sean twr:

Your fine to use a restricted licence in Europe - delivering your own goods and collecting things to be used in there production is all fine to.

If your going for any type of operators licence make sure you have a Margin put on - i.e. if you want 1 truck put on 2 - therefore if your truck brakes down, or is off the road then you can hire one in… if you are going to go to France and Spain etc - then you will have all sort of hurdles to jump through - ie. Spain is alway closing the roads for various festivals - France you will need all sorts of things - it really is not an issue - it may be worth getting someone in for a day and going through with them on a face to face basis.

I am not the sharpest tool in the box - but happy to try and help if i can.