7.5t limits breach in London, newcomer advice please

Hello,

This is my first post, what a great site though!

Maybe a polite idea to give a little bit of background about me and would like some advice please?

Passed class 2 in 2005, age 29, did a little agency work, about 6 months multidrop ‘pallex’ work around the black country then some 6 wheel rigid rope and sheet flat bed work mainly on the bright steel bar, unfortunately got a 12 month suspension for drink driving, have learned my lesson since.

I had five years without work because of having to declare the dr10, wife worked,didn’t expect to get a job again to be honest but took class 1 anyway in Sept 11 and managed to pass.

We relocated in March 2012 with the hope of getting another chance and in Sept last year managed to get some work on a 6 wheel rigid curtainsider mainly timber work.

I guess you would say that I don’t have a massive amount of experience and maybe suffering from a lack of confidence to an extent after the ban but would like to get the chance on the class 1.

Hope this is of interest to you, would like advice on 7.5 t limits in London, breached a couple of times last week, no excuse really, lack of experience but refuse to use sat nav and up to my neck in it with the a-z, etc, and ploughed on anyway, what with surveillance 1984 big brother city now, what will I be expecting through the post to the boss, fine and or points?

Any help / advice / critism accepted. Many Thanks

Depends where you’ve done it and the time. I’ve nipped into it at 6.30am several times over the years and not had any comeback.

Frogz if you get caught… and thats a big IF, you will probably end up with a £60 fine. They may be more if its a 7.5T mgw as opposed to ‘Except for Access’ never any points.

And for Conor, i was like you until May this year when I got caught at 6:15 in a 26tonner with out a permit. The company got £450 reduced to £225 if paid within so many days, and I got £120 reduced to £60 if paid within 2 weeks I think. Luckily they admitted it was their fault and paid the my part of the fine as well as their own.

Owen

Thank you for your replies both, could do without this, trying to keep a clean as record as possible with the company if you know what I mean after my previous record! I suppose it will be a case of waiting to see IF, but either way doubt the boss will be impressed with a fine if it does come through. Is it really the case of someone sitting in a control room watching cameras all day, what a state off affairs!

Have got a real problem like most people with being screwed up the backside.

Thanks again.Frogz

“There exists in this country a plot to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office I intend to expose this plot”
John F Kennedy, 7 days before he died.

Hippo:
Frogz if you get caught… and thats a big IF, you will probably end up with a £60 fine. They may be more if its a 7.5T mgw as opposed to ‘Except for Access’ never any points.

And for Conor, i was like you until May this year when I got caught at 6:15 in a 26tonner with out a permit. The company got £450 reduced to £225 if paid within so many days, and I got £120 reduced to £60 if paid within 2 weeks I think. Luckily they admitted it was their fault and paid the my part of the fine as well as their own.

Owen

Not trying to have a go here but how can it be the companies fault unless I have read it wrong, you went into a 7.5tonne zone without a permit, I assume you knew you didn’t have a permit so why go in? Unless you phoned the office and they said go for it.

I really am not having a go I go through plenty of 7.5tonne limits just not in London as I know Big Bro is watching all the time

NewLad,

Have permit to be in London but that doesn’t allow access down 7.5t limit roads though does it?

Like you say mate, anywhere else not too much of a concern with the limits, but I hadn’t really done London for a good while and what a state it is now, where is it all going?

Anyway thanks for a reply,possibly expecting a fine if I’ve been clocked,would I have to offer to pay for the company’s fine aswell as I had no excuse, what you reckon?

Cheers,Frogz

“There exists in this country a plot to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office I intend to expose this plot”
John F Kennedy, 7 days before he died.

Newlad the big fine was going into London Lorry control zone in a 26tonner (the limit is 18t) before 7am. I did warn my gaffa I might get a fine and was told to get on with it… Hence they paid my fine :smiley:

The most I have ever got for running a 7.5t Except access is £60… And I have to pay them :blush:

Owen

Sorry,I should be on new drivers forum I think.

Thanks

Frogz:
Sorry,I should be on new drivers forum I think.

Thanks

Why should you?

It’s a valid question, I wouldn’t “offer” to pay anything, if I am told to pay it then yeah I would unless I was specifically told to go down that road then they can pay it.

Sometimes you have to go down them, I wouldn’t worry about it till it happens, you could be worrying for nothing

Frogz:
lack of experience but refuse to use sat nav and up to my neck in it with the a-z, etc

Why do you refuse to use a sat-nav :confused:

In-spite of all the people who will rubbish them, in responsible hands they can be a big help.

Good luck with the 7.5t roads you’ve gone down, hope it works out for you :wink:

Thanks Tachograph and NewLad for replies,

It could be worrying over nothing about these limits, I think it is more of a case of disbelief at the surveillance 1984 state we live in now especially in London and I know they can whack you with fines and endorsements quite easily.

As for the satnavs, I am a bit of a bibliophile so love the old a-z’s, having got most of the country covered and like to feel I have got an instinct finding places and not usually struggle with elsewhere, but now in hindsight, London different story, no rational logic at all? ! (Or is it me, bit inexperienced, hence the thought of needing to be on the newcomers forum!)

But, I wouldn’t entertain London or probably anywhere without a satnav in artic but if I’d have had one I wouldn’t be on this forum asking this question would I? !!
(At the minute driving 26t, had class 1 licence for nearly 2 years, itching to get out on artic though).

Sat navs and automatic gear box must make life so much easier, but have neither in the old ERF I usually drive, great and I love the job! I must do to be on a trucking forum sunday afternoons!