7.5t except for loading&unloading

Had never seen one of these signs until yesterday, are they new :question: :question:

Normally you just see sign which I take rightly or wrongly to mean loading and unloading just play on words. but this one stipulated both. So just wondered why this one was different to the rest and does the “loading only” mean just loading and not unloading if it does not say unloading :question: :question: :question:

I’d contend that making a delivery is loading. You are loading the shop with stuff. :smiley:

tofer:
I’d contend that making a delivery is loading. You are loading the shop with stuff. :smiley:

yup :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: thats what i meant by the play on words

allright orficar, i am ‘loading’ goods from my truck to this shop:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Anyone know what the legal DEFINITION of loading is in regard to the signage :question:

ROG:
Anyone know what the legal DEFINITION of loading is in regard to the signage :question:

from direct.gov.uk

Goods vehicles. Vehicles with a maximum laden weight of over 7.5 tonnes (including any trailer) The only exception is when parking is essential for loading and unloading, in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended.

ROG:

Scarab:
from direct.gov.uk

Goods vehicles. Vehicles with a maximum laden weight of over 7.5 tonnes (including any trailer) The only exception is when parking is essential for loading and unloading, in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended.

From that quote it seems that the word ‘loading’ means loading and unloading…

vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended

So taking, for example, a cage into a shop or going into a factory to get the notes signed, would not be allowed :question: :question: :question:

ROG:

So taking, for example, a cage into a shop or going into a factory to get the notes signed, would not be allowed :question: :question: :question:

Sounds good to me! I’ll just sit on the back then.

Scarab:

ROG:

Sounds good to me! I’ll just sit on the back then.

so technically then a traffic warden could wait for you to push the good into the store etc and then give you a ticket :exclamation: :blush: never realised that, we deliver down some weight limit roads and we push a few racks etc from the truck to the hotel so are away from the truck for quite some time :exclamation: :exclamation:

pecjam23:
we deliver down some weight limit roads and we push a few racks etc from the truck to the hotel so are away from the truck for quite some time

That would make you illegal according to that quote.
If it is illegal then your boss needs to be informed so your boss and the customer can come to another arrangement.

ROG:

pecjam23:
we deliver down some weight limit roads and we push a few racks etc from the truck to the hotel so are away from the truck for quite some time

That would make you illegal according to that quote.
If it is illegal then your boss needs to be informed so your boss and the customer can come to another arrangement.

what about delivering to a shop though? your still away from the truck, push a rack bring one back, push one in etc etc you could be away for say 5-6 mins (to me thats a long time) at a time depending how far rack has to be pushed/ how does that make us illegal then as we need to load/unload :question: :confused: :confused:

other arrangments: we’ll leave your delivery in a lay by just out of the weight limit - come and get them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If it is illegal then it would have to be arranged that either you had a drivers mate or the customer would have to take control of the goods at the point where you had offloaded them.

That is what those scumbag traffic enforcement officers do in London, they hide behind posts until they see you go round the corner, then stick a ticket on the truck.

At Ontime Automotive we would probably get 2 or 3 tickets a week, we were so popular that Ontime took over the parking enforcement :smiley:

ontime-auto.com/ParkingSolutions.asp

Wheel Nut:
… traffic enforcement officers do in London, they hide behind posts until they see you go round the corner, then stick a ticket on the truck.

Agree with their tactics or not, if it is illegal for the driver to leave the vehicle unattended then who’s fault is that :question:

Scarab:
from direct.gov.uk

This is specific to vehicles over 7.5t though, the full rule reads:

Goods vehicles. Vehicles with a maximum laden weight of over 7.5 tonnes (including any trailer) MUST NOT be parked on a verge, pavement or any land situated between carriageways, without police permission. The only exception is when parking is essential for loading and unloading, in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended.

We’ve started to see signs appearing that are the round 7.5t as above but the plate underneath now says

"except for loading and unloading by "(then a picture of the lorry as above)

effectively telling you the same thing twice.

We’ve started to see signs appearing that are the round 7.5t as above but the plate underneath now says

"except for loading and unloading by "(then a picture of the lorry as above)

effectively telling you the same thing twice. :laughing:

I’d contend that if the course of my duties have taken me into the building outside which my vehicle is parked, whilst the back doors are open and the tail-lift is down, then it is ATTENDED regardless of whether I’m stood by it or not. If the back is closed up and I’ve ■■■■■■ off to the shop then fair enough it’s UNATTENDED. As for parking on kerbs I’ve done it in Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury today, soley because of the steepness of the camber in the roads. Parking with one side up the kerb levels the back out, making things far safer.

tofer:
I’d contend that if the course of my duties have taken me into the building outside which my vehicle is parked, whilst the back doors are open and the tail-lift is down, then it is ATTENDED regardless of whether I’m stood by it or not. If the back is closed up and I’ve ■■■■■■ off to the shop then fair enough it’s UNATTENDED. As for parking on kerbs I’ve done it in Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury today, soley because of the steepness of the camber in the roads. Parking with one side up the kerb levels the back out, making things far safer.

What exactly is the definition of ‘unattended’? I’ve probably posted here before about an incident which happened quite some time ago: I was unloading, and the only place I could stop sensibly was down a side street, directly opposite the shop I was visiting. Since it was only one box, that wasn’t a problem. I left a large note in the window saying ‘DELIVERING TO [SHOP NAME],’ with the time of arrival, and not wanting the rest of my cargo to be unloaded for me, I shut the tailgate. I’d been in the shop for about a minute, waiting for paperwork, when I saw a parking warden writing me a ticket. After a ‘friendly chat’ :slight_smile: he didn’t issue the ticket, but it did make me wonder whether I’d have had ground to challenge it.

Scarab:
in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended.

i would say carrying cages to and from a shop means that you are attending to your vehicle so you are not leaving it unattended. however walking into to town on your break would be leaving it unattended