7.5t except for acsess restrictions and the law

Hi guys after some advice,
One month into my tipper job and the odd occasion the road I require is a no go zone,

Not to worried about that bit but sometimes my truck sat nav calculates a route and wants me to go down these roads that are a few miles away from my location ,

I don’t 100%trust the sat nav and I do use my brain and look for other routes with no restrictions first

Got me wondering where do I stand with the law?
Is there a set radial miles that this would be allowed, say if only a few miles away it’s considered ok?

Any advice is much appreciated
Cheers
Dave

You need to use the shortest route through the restriction to your destination, that is the law. Assuming there is no unrestricted way in of course.

These “environmental weight limits” apply to lower standard or minor roads where there is a better road as an alternative route.
The exemption for access applies if you are accessing somewhere within the restriction.
Obviously you can’t always tell the extent of the restriction, but common sense in the specific circumstances should tell you if there is a better road you could use to avoid that route.
This is why it is a good idea to use a map to plan your routes rather than relying solely on a sat-nav. The classification of roads on a map should give you some idea which roads the restriction applies to.

There is no requirement to use the shortest route with the restriction, as long as your destination is within it the access exemption applies. The shortest route rule is only for the London Lorry Control.

If a sign say no access for vehicles over 7.5t you cannot legally enter the area in a vehicle over 7.5t.

If the sign says except for access you can only legally enter the area in a vehicle over 7.5t to reach a site within the restricted area, I’m not aware of any rule that says you have to take the shortest route if you’re legally allowed access.

Ok guys cheers,
Yeah truck sat nav ■■■■ sometimes I’ve been using Google and street view to get out of some situations,
Need to invest in a map,
Thanks

tachograph:
I’m not aware of any rule that says you have to take the shortest route if you’re legally allowed access.

Glen and your good self are spot on. I’ve got no idea where I picked that up from. Acknowledged, filed, hopefully remembered!

Speaking to experienced drivers who regularly do go into these area (not London), they say that when they have been stopped by the police, generally it’s just a chat about why they are in the restriction, which may result in the officer suggesting a better alternative…
However if you are using a weight limited area JUST to get to the other side as a shortcut, then you’re on your own mate! :smiley:

F-reds:
You need to use the shortest route through the restriction to your destination, that is the law. Assuming there is no unrestricted way in of course.

Yet another bit of brilliant advise on truck net !

Jesus give me strength!

I remember you on another post telling me you had a TMS CPC - please tell me you were joking.!!!

tachograph:
If a sign say no access for vehicles over 7.5t you cannot legally enter the area in a vehicle over 7.5t.

If the sign says except for access you can only legally enter the area in a vehicle over 7.5t to reach a site within the restricted area, I’m not aware of any rule that says you have to take the shortest route if you’re legally allowed access.

This.

Coolrider:

F-reds:

Yet another bit of brilliant advise on truck net !

Jesus give me strength!

I remember you on another post telling me you had a TMS CPC - please tell me you were joking.!!!

I’m not unable to admit I’m wrong though pet :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
Speaking to experienced drivers who regularly do go into these area (not London), they say that when they have been stopped by the police, generally it’s just a chat about why they are in the restriction, which may result in the officer suggesting a better alternative…
However if you are using a weight limited area JUST to get to the other side as a shortcut, then you’re on your own mate! :smiley:

This ^^^^^.
Inside the weight limit you have a reason to be there but trying it to shortcut a route will get you in bother sharpish.
We have a shop in accrington we have to go through a 7.5t no access then left thro a no entry into the bus station to back into a service yard but as there is no other way coppers let us in.