7.5t 'Except for Access'....?

Just how far can you ‘push your luck’, when needing to go through a ‘except for access’ weight limit…■■

We go through here through the day to get the Asda RDC on Earls Road, but can we still get there from the south, from junction 5 off the M9 after 6pm, instead having to go past on the M9, find a junction to turn round at and then come back down…■■?

goo.gl/maps/gsYaEaJioYA2

I was under the impression that its only 2 miles or so after the limit you can go.

I ‘push my luck’ most days and have never been caught out yet.

One of my mates was caught three times in one day going through a 7.5 ton access only.

As far as I am aware it is not the police who are ever interested but trading standards.

Also, from what I have been told, it is the owner operator who is jointly responsible…

Chances are the owner gets a warning letter before any action is taken against a driver.

No doubt there will be plenty of posts to say I haven’t got a clue…

Well, basically you can’t go through a 7.5 tonne weight limit to reach somewhere on the other side of it. You can only enter it if you are going to somewhere in it.

Personally I would never push my luck. These signs are there for a reason. Why do some drivers want to break every law if they can get away with it? Maybe to save themselves time because many seem in such a rush these days. Heart attack stroke or worse if you do not slow down. Is it really worth it?
No wonder lorry drivers get such a bad name!

Heisenberrg do you know of any of the reasons these signs are put there? It seems unlikely with that attitude.

Found myself on this with a loaded artic on a few occasions and thought… point of no return… [zb] it!!! Im lost is my excuse!!!

Yep, Heisenberrg, is correct, Trading Standards are the ones monitoring and issuing letters ect. I entered one by mistake in Chigwell and with nowhere to turn around had to carry on the the end. Faced a possible maximum fine of £2000 according to the letter… which I replied to apologetically explaining my predicament. No further action taken, but warned to check my route in future.

What other option do you have in a strange place you aint been before and following what you think is a main route… only to turn a corner with a wue of 20 cars behind you only to see a 7.5 ton limit in an artic and think… ■■■■!!!

Which was exactly my reaction :slight_smile:

Gordy81:
What other option do you have in a strange place you aint been before and following what you think is a main route… only to turn a corner with a wue of 20 cars behind you only to see a 7.5 ton limit in an artic and think… [zb]!!!

Not being funny but it’s a road sign.
If you cannot observe road signs you should not be driving.
Would you turn into a No Entry or a One Way street■■?

OMG what is wrong with drivers these days■■?

Theres many places our lot go in a 26 tonner where theres a 7.5 limit, nothing has ever been said. Or is it because we are in dustcarts and are exempt ?

theflyingdustman:
Theres many places our lot go in a 26 tonner where theres a 7.5 limit, nothing has ever been said. Or is it because we are in dustcarts and are exempt ?

There are certain vehicles that are exempt.

Emergency Vehicles

Dustcarts I would imagine.

And LGV Learners on test!

Dr Damon:

Gordy81:
What other option do you have in a strange place you aint been before and following what you think is a main route… only to turn a corner with a wue of 20 cars behind you only to see a 7.5 ton limit in an artic and think… [zb]!!!

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Too right there is, it is embarrassing isn’t it. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Dr Damon:

theflyingdustman:

Emergency Vehicles

How would a LGV learner on test be exempt ?

Goldfinger:
Just how far can you ‘push your luck’, when needing to go through a ‘except for access’ weight limit…■■

We go through here through the day to get the Asda RDC on Earls Road, but can we still get there from the south, from junction 5 off the M9 after 6pm, instead having to go past on the M9, find a junction to turn round at and then come back down…■■?

goo.gl/maps/gsYaEaJioYA2

There’s no problem going through there before 6pm or after 8am…

Dr Damon:

theflyingdustman:

Emergency Vehicles

Took my test from Beverly, the route took me through Cottingham which is riddled with weight limits. I was told that passing one would be an instant fail.

Goldfinger:

goo.gl/maps/gsYaEaJioYA2

Why not come off at junc5 and go by falkirk football ground then you dont need to go thought the weight limit will add max 5 mins to the trip.

I’ve never heard of a maximum amount of miles you can drive into a limit. If your drop off or pick up point is 10 miles into a limit and the ONLY route in then I’d say your fine and I’d be disputing any ticket. If however there is another route in and the one you’ve chosen cuts a bit off then that’s not ok. As long your using the only available route to where your going then I’d be using it no matter how far into the limit a went.

Dr Damon:

theflyingdustman:

Emergency Vehicles

Dust carts are exempt in the sense that they require access to get to there pick up and drop off points. People complain to the council about trucks going down the road but if they had no rubbish collection for 2 weeks because the driver said he wasn’t going into a 7.5t limit I think they’d be moaning even more!

Don’t where you’ve heard that about learners but that is not true. RDC waiting room? Your would definitely fail your test for that!

Gordy81 wrote:

Of course I wouldn’t go down a one way street…but there are a lot of villages where the parish council, who are made up of local residents, have requested 7.5 ton restrictions purely because they don’t like hgvs in their streets and lanes because it prevents them from being able to park on the road and worrying that they will have to replace a wing mirror.
Road widths have stayed the same size and so have hgv widths…but cars have become considerably larger. 30 or 40’years ago you would not have seen a young mother driving a Range Rover around and parking it in a narrow village street whereas now it’s the fashion.

The selfishness of drivers today is such that they consider that hgv and tractors do not have the right to be there …hence the 7.5 restriction.

Have you ever seen a One Way Street sign that say ‘except for access’…No you haven’t !!!