7.5t driving with type 2 diabetes?

Hi all, Hope your all keeping well and work finds you busy.

My (dear old) :laughing: father has been offered a job driving 7.5t (obviously a puddle jumper compared to the vechiles you drive)…but he is type 2 diabetic. Therefore, i just need to know if he is able to take this offer up or would he be stopped by the diabetes?

Im hoping one of the guru’s on here might be in the know.

Many Thanks

hi tonka , you can drive class 1 and 2 hgvs with type 2 diabetes (i should know) so no probs with 7.5t , however the trouble is if you are or become type 1 insulin dependent , then they take away your vocational licence,so should not be a problem for 7.5t ,but i have heard of car drivers with type 2 diabetes having to wait months for the all clear , as i’m sure you know its a legal requirement to tell dvla,but be warned it took 6-8 weeks for my all clear letter to come back,and most employers will want to know this for insurance reasons , hope this has been some help , cheers :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within the last 12 months.It was inevitable as I have been Low Glucose Tolerant for about 30 years.
However,I managed my previous condition with a moderate diet and nothing has changed,I’m still on a diet and I don’t feel any different.
I had my medical last week to renew my class 1,and before I went I rang the DVLA to see what the situation was.I was told that as long as I inform them,which was done by the doctor on the D4,there should be no problem.Even if on medication,but not insulin,it usually does not affect your entitlement.
I am about a stone overweight and have been told that if I can get my weight down,it is possible to get clear of type 2.
Check the correspondence on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43545

What the above said; the only thing I’d doubt is whether a driver would keep the C1 (7.5 tonne) category nowadays if they became type 1 dependant.

One of our drivers is type 2, just has to keep going for regular checks and still has his class one.

hey, thank you all for your quick replies. The old un will be over the moon with that now then, and ill get him to confirm it at the job just to make sure (never be to protective these days eh?)
Only down side is the banter :imp: that will come from him until i do my class, but its worth it to see him back working.

Many Thanks once again