7.5t CPC and Tacho use

I’ve done a search on the forum and can’t see a definitive answer.

I’m doing some work for a fencing company these next few weeks and have the opportunity to earn a bit more and have work everyday if I’m driving one of their 7.5t trucks.

I passed my Class C a few weeks ago and I’m waiting for my mod2 and then to do my Mod4 as such I currently do not have LGV DCPC.

I’ve researched online and it’s said as I’m taking equipment and material to a fixed point as to were Ill be working I do not need the cpc.
I.E I will be taking digging equipment, cement, fence panels basically things I’ll need and use in the day.

I can’t find anywhere that says I need to use a tacho or not as I’m waiting for my DIGI card to come through. I haven’t driven 7.5t before so I do not know if all are fitted with Tachos or not. I’d be driving for a max of 1.5hrs to site and the same back depending on traffic.

Any help or links to a site would be gratefully received.

A 7.5GVW wagon must be fitted with a tacho.

The tacho must be used (there are exceptions - but your’s isn’t one of them.)

You must, by law, have a valid Digi-card (assuming that the tacho is digi) and a valid DCPC card to drive it.

For what you intend to do …

No tacho exemption - must have/use digicard if digi tacho fitted
There is a dcpc exemption so no DQC needed

Ok thanks Rog.

That’s pretty much what I thought it would be.

Morning,

Went into the job today and explained I can drive the truck we use with the paper tacho but cant drive the other as im waiting for my digi card.

The guvnor then went on to explain that no one needs to use paper or card digi as they are all hire trucks.

When I challanged this he said he had asked the hire company and had a visit from the police when one of the trucks were over weight, the police had told him the same.
Im not 100% sold on this.

Anyone know for sure?

Super_Shaun:
Morning,

Went into the job today and explained I can drive the truck we use with the paper tacho but cant drive the other as im waiting for my digi card.

The guvnor then went on to explain that no one needs to use paper or card digi as they are all hire trucks.

When I challanged this he said he had asked the hire company and had a visit from the police when one of the trucks were over weight, the police had told him the same.
Im not 100% sold on this.

Anyone know for sure?

Hire truck or not makes no difference to tacho regs

If boss thinks you are tacho exempt then ask him to SHOW you the relevant tacho exemption - better still, get boss to put it in writing with a quote from the regs stating such

Driving is not my main job, I would be digging and erecting hoarding, fencing and digging footings etc.
Only 2hrs driving at most there and then 2hrs back.

The site will be within 100km of the yard.

This dvsa site reads as though we are exempt…

movingon.blog.gov.uk/changes-to … ment-13370

Cheers.

Super_Shaun:
Driving is not my main job, I would be digging and erecting hoarding, fencing and digging footings etc.
Only 2hrs driving at most there and then 2hrs back.

The site will be within 100km of the yard.

This dvsa site reads as though we are exempt…

movingon.blog.gov.uk/changes-to … ment-13370

Cheers.

Now its my turn to eat humble pie …
gov.uk/government/publicati … rd-keeping

> The following derogation became an exemption (under Article 3 of EC 561/2006) and will also have a threshold of 100 km radius from base instead of a 50 km threshold:
> •vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7,5 tonnes used for carrying materials, equipment or machinery for the driver use in the course of his work on condition that that driving the vehicles does not constitute the driver’s main activity

I was unaware of those changes so YES it seems you are exempt tacho on 7.5 within 100 km of base when doing the job you describe

Thanks = I learned something new today :smiley:

PS - I gather that you will now be under UK domestic regs instead of EU regs

So, would this mean that if Im driving a 7.5t truck for personal use and not business or employment I could just drive away without inserting the digi-card?

Also if I’m working within 100km of depo and carrying materials to site to be used by me that day in a 7.5t truck I can drive away without inserting digi-card?

steery1:
So, would this mean that if Im driving a 7.5t truck for personal use and not business or employment I could just drive away without inserting the digi-card?

Also if I’m working within 100km of depo and carrying materials to site to be used by me that day in a 7.5t truck I can drive away without inserting digi-card?

You got it :smiley:

I would still insert it and select - out of scope

ROG:

steery1:

You got it :smiley:

I would still insert it and select - out of scope

So in theory I could do a days work, say 15hrs with the card in, take the card out then drive away using the truck for personal use? Legally?

This could concieveably cause problems if the overhead unit gets downloaded and analysed?

yes i do it every day. the trucks registered private hgv and it never get used for any commercial purpose, i put a tacho disk in just incase i get pulled but i throw it away at the end of the day. (analogue tacho) just insert the card and select out of scope

steery1:
So in theory I could do a days work, say 15hrs with the card in, take the card out then drive away using the truck for personal use? Legally?

This could concieveably cause problems if the overhead unit gets downloaded and analysed?

Why would it ? - if they want to know everything then they can read your card as well as asking what you did

ROG:

steery1:

Why would it ? - if they want to know everything then they can read your card as well as asking what you did

I was thinking that the naturally suspicious vosa officer would see a 15hr day with the card in, then the card taken out and the vehicle moving again with no card in. He might reasonably assume that the card was taken out cause there was no time left rather than the vehicle was being used for personal use and now doesnt need the card in…

As Rog has stated in the past, the authorities could also turn up at your place of work and ask (demand?) to inspect e.g. time sheets in order to ascertain whether you really weren’t at work. Unlikely though, unless something happens.

Would the following scenario be a grey area do ya think?

Pick up 7.5t at the yard. Card in at 6:30am. At final customers premises (say about 4 - 6pm). Do you think I can finish work for the day there, take the card out and drive home, parking at my home for the night, returning to the yard the next day?

steery1:

Pick up 7.5t at the yard. Card in at 6:30am. At final customers premises (say about 4 - 6pm). Do you think I can finish work for the day there, take the card out and drive home, parking at my home for the night, returning to the yard the next day?

There’s nothing grey about that, it would be illegal plain and simple.

tachograph:

steery1:

There’s nothing grey about that, it would be illegal plain and simple.

So which part is illegal? The driving home part?

steery1:

Driving home without using the tachograph, you cannot just book off wherever you feel like it and claim the rest of the journey is private motoring.

Until you get back to base or home the driving time should be recorded as driving.

tachograph:

steery1:

Driving home without using the tachograph, you cannot just book off wherever you feel like it and claim the rest of the journey is private motoring.

Until you get back to base or home the driving time should be recorded as driving.

Ok Thanks for the reply.
so could I take the card out at the last customers premises, drive to b&q to get stuff for a personal diy project, take it home, work on the project but cant just drive home with the card out? I know it probably sounds stupid but is that correct?