7.5T Animal Truck

Hi everyone,

I am gonna be driving a 7.5T as a volunteer using a truck that was crowdfunded for an animal rescue non profit. Unwanted animals so technically no one owns them.

Do i need to use tacho?
Do i need an ‘O’ licence
What insurance is best? Normal truck insurance or other? recommended companies please?

A lot of these i feel we do not need as far as i have read as we are not commercial business or under economic activity.

I’d appreciate any help or advice please

Cheers

No tacho as it is 7.5 tonner non profit making = not commercial

O licence = no idea

i agree with rog…only over 7.5 ton warrants the use of a tacho…and as your a volunteer…its their vehicle, so no insurance needed as its the owners responsibility…unless your buying the truck, to do the volunteering, in which case you must be mad…

for general use i used adrian flux, if its for horses then horsebox insurers might be your best bet, if for general livestock you do well to look at NFU

Much appreciated everyone, I’ll see how this goes then.

cheers for your time

I’d also be seriously tempted to have a thorough read through this;

and see if any of it is applicable. On a day-to-day basis it may not be, but skitter boxes are a regular target for DVSA owing to the somewhat casual attitudes of some of their owners to maintenance and the other niceties of vehicle legislation. You need to cover all eventualities and it goes without saying that a fine could ■■■■■■■ a charity.

If it turns out, BTW, that you are indeed exempt from operator licensing, I would also seriously consider ensuring that you have documented proof of this and carry it in the vehicle. It will save you a lot of time and hassle should DVSA stop you, since the lack of a visible O-licence disc in the window is one of the most sure-fire ways to attract their attention.

Sidevalve:
I’d also be seriously tempted to have a thorough read through this;

[Withdrawn] Live transport: welfare regulations - GOV.UK

and see if any of it is applicable. On a day-to-day basis it may not be, but skitter boxes are a regular target for DVSA owing to the somewhat casual attitudes of some of their owners to maintenance and the other niceties of vehicle legislation. You need to cover all eventualities and it goes without saying that a fine could ■■■■■■■ a charity.

If it turns out, BTW, that you are indeed exempt from operator licensing, I would also seriously consider ensuring that you have documented proof of this and carry it in the vehicle. It will save you a lot of time and hassle should DVSA stop you, since the lack of a visible O-licence disc in the window is one of the most sure-fire ways to attract their attention.

Thanks so much for your reply and advice, much appreciated.

Yeah, i have looked into all of this in depth and O licence not required but i was thinking the same exact thing about carrying all proof of all these things with me so i am able to prove it to those less educated trying to dispute it with me.

Cheers!