7.5 tonner in Europe

Hi,

I’m new to this forum and trucks in general, so please be gentle with me :blush:

We’re racing a couple of cars in Europe this year, and so need to get them there in a 7.5 ton truck. Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of for driving this vehicle in Europe (France, Belguim and Germany)? Are there certain days you are not allowed to drive a truck in Europe?

Cheers

Stuart

hello stuart and welcome to trucknet. im not 100% certain but i think in a 7.5 tonner you can drive in europe on sundays. some of the lads on here drive them so im sure you`ll get an answer before too long, also-you may have to buy additional road tax for some of the benelux countries (its called a vignette,approx £5 per day, may have gone up!) . good luck anyway
jon :smiley:

Cheers Jon. I think the vignette is for 12 ton + from what I’ve read elsewhere on here :question: Being able to drive on a Sunday would be a big help though.

Stuart

Driving a 7.5 tonne truck is permitted at weekends and because you are using it for personal or non profit making use, You are ok.
This will apply throughout Europe, The only problem I see is with emissions if it is an old nail and you get into switzerland or austria. You are correct about Vignette for over 12 tonne but it doesnt apply in Germany anymore.

Thanks Malc, that makes things a lot easier :smiley:

Malc,

I note on another thread you mentioned all vehicles over 7.5 need a tacho, and have hour restrictions - can you give me more info, or suggest where I should be looking?

Cheers

Stuart

The problem with this question and answer is that there are several rules to abide by.

1st EC National and International Rules: apply to drivers of most vehicles being used commercially of over 3.5 tonne gvw inclusive of the weight of any trailer.

2nd AETR Rules: apply to vehicles on journeys to or through some european countries outside the ec. similar to ec rules.

3rd Domestic Rules: apply to drivers of most vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes gvw and drivers who are exempt from ec rules.

4th Mixed Driving: apply to drivers doing more than one of the above.

Very few goods vehicles are completely exempt from drivers hours regs, For a complete list of exemptions see DFT Drivers Hours and Exemptions GV262 or visit tan.gov.uk.

EC regs 3820/85 & 3821/85 lay down the rules that must be followed by drivers and operators of vehicles used for the carriage of goods that are over 3.5 tonne gvw including any trailer. These rules apply to any person who drives the vehicle even for a short period, or is carried in the vehicle in order to drive if necessary. These same regs require the fitment of tachos in vehicles over 3.5 tonne.

The Question you asked is can I drive on a sunday in a 7.5 tonner and yes you can.