7.5 tonne speed limit on european autoroutes

Hi there

Not sure if this is poste in the correct forum, and I have searched high and low, but…

I wonder if anyone knows the speed limit for 7.5 tonners in europe (specifically France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Spain, Portugal)

I undertsand there is a 90km/h limit for HGVs - but unrestricted 7.5 tonners can do 70mph on the motorway in the UK.

Does anyone know the answer to this.?

Regards

Ryan

For a 7.5 tonne truck the limits are as follows.

U – Urban, all-purpose roads in built-up areas
G – General, all-purpose roads outside built-up areas
D – Dual carriageway and expressway roads
M – Motorways

France. U 50 km, G 80 km, D 100 km, M 110 km.

Belgium U 50 km, G 90 km, D 90 km, M 120 km.

Germany U 50 km, G 80 km, D 80 km, M 80 km.

Austria U 50 km, G 70 km, D 70 km, M 80 km.

Spain U 50 km, G 70 km, D 80 km, M 90 km.

Portugal U 50 km, G 80 km, D 80 km, M 90 km.

Hope that helps.

Hi Coffeeholic

That’s a great help, many thanks for the post.

We are a conference production company and have been ferrying our equipment around Europe for a few years in 7.5 tonners - but with scant knowledge of the local laws!

I am taking my Cat C license next month so we can carry a bit more gear around!

I wonder if there is a common source for the info you have just supplied - maybe one of the Trade Associations? as we will soon need to know the limits/toll laws for >12t too.

Thanks again for the info - especially noted the 80 and 90 km/h limits, as we had guessed at a 110km/h limit accross Europe for 7.5 tonners!

Regards

Ryan

Im pretty sure that as of January 2006 any 7.5 t is restricted in eu to 90 ks although in uk still 70 mph…later on in the year all 7.5 ts to be limited if used in eu.
Also any 7.5s that are limited only allowed in 2nd lane on m/way but non limited ones can still use outside lane…wonder if this will confuse the coppers…vosa did issue pamphlet on this subject