7.5 tonne licence

Hi all

My son wants to use my camper van which is plated at 4.5 tonne but, as he passed his test in 1997, he is restricted to 3.5 tonne.

Does anyone know what is involved in passing a 7.5t test, (not for commercial use) and if there is anyone in the Derby area who does training?

Thanks
Clark Peacock

AFAIK it’s the same format / test as the LGV (including medical).

For the cost and the licence requirements, he might as well get a Class 2 so at least he can make a few quid if he ever needs to.

Makes sense. Didn’t realise you could straight for a Class 2.

Thanks for the responses.

it’s exactly the same test as the cat C.

Only possible benefit of doing the C1 is that 7.5 tonners are normally easier to drive, so you would stand more chance of passing 1st time, in theory anyway.

Personally i’d just take the C test anyway.

dennisw1:
Only possible benefit of doing the C1 is that 7.5 tonners are normally easier to drive…

Doesn’t even need to be a 7.5 tonner for the test.

Hang on. A camper van is not a Goods vehicle. It’s a Heavy Motor Car.

Without looking it up, a Class B Licence should suffice.

The DVLA site describes category B as “motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kgs” which IMO would therefore not be sufficient for this van (as they don’t specify goods vehicles). Confusingly they do however refer to category C1 as “lorries” :confused: .

There’s been a lot of discussion on a motorhome forum on the subject of MAM relating to Private/ Goods vehicles and how it affects licences.

Many people drive large American campers, some weighing more than 14 tonnes, on a car licence on the assumtion that it is a ‘private’ vehicle and therefore exempt from goods vehicle requirements.

However, I reckon any insurance company would have something to say about this in the event of a claim!

I’m going to play safe and get my son to take his class B1 or C. (Bet I end up paying for it though!!)

You’d be amazed how often I’ve spoken to ‘experienced 7.5t drivers’ who turn out to have passed their test too late. I suspect that there are a very large amount of 7.5 tonners being driven in ignorance.

clarkpeacock:
I’m going to play safe and get my son to take his class B1 or C. (Bet I end up paying for it though!!)

Ain’t that the truth!

clarkpeacock:
Many people drive large American campers, some weighing more than 14 tonnes, on a car licence on the assumtion that it is a ‘private’ vehicle and therefore exempt from goods vehicle requirements.

While ‘private’ removes tachograph and ‘O’ licence requirements I’m certain the appropriate driving category is still needed.

mrpj:

clarkpeacock:

While ‘private’ removes tachograph and ‘O’ licence requirements I’m certain the appropriate driving category is still needed.

It would also depend on the number of passenger seats too, more than 8 and it will be a minibus therefore a D1 licence.

NB. if your son passes the Cat C it should bring his insurance down :wink:

mrpj:

clarkpeacock:

Indeed it is which is why Chris Eubank is a Class 1 licence holder.

Although he didnt actually need to take the c+e as he tends to only drive the unit solo, so a C would have done.

It would be a brave examiner to fail him though?! :laughing: