7.5 ton to Bulgaria

Hi Guys
I’m considering taking a 7.5t across to Bulgaria to bring back our household belongings.I’ve made this journey a couple of times in a car and found it pretty straight forward,tolls and borders etc.Is it as straight forward with a 7.5t’er.I’ve read a few different articles on the toll systems,but I’m not too sure about the Go box thing for Austria.Are you allowed to just pay as you go with the tolls in every country as you can with car tolls.Also does the ban on motorways apply to the 7.5t at weekends as well.
Does the tacho have to be used,only asking as it’s for private use,and not for commercial gain.All this will depend on the cost.I’ve got a price for the lorry,but I don’t know the price for the ferry crossing yet,can you just turn up at Dover adhoc and get on “price?”.Haven’t worked out the mpg of the lorry yet,so as I say,it’s all down to cost.
One more important thing,I’ve got 5 dogs to bring back too.They all have their passports and are vaccinated up to date,just wondered if there would be a problem with them being in the back of the lorry.One thing I do know is that when I went through Serbia,although I had a green card for my car,I still had to buy insurance for their roads because the car was an english reg. Serbs are robbing sods.
I know it’s alot of questions to ask,but I would be very gratefull if someone could help me along the way,and if there is something I’ve missed,please jump in and say.
Thanks very much for reading.
Regards
Steve :slight_smile:

My first instinct is to say don’t do it, it will be a minefield.

You need a GO box for Austria. That’s the only toll you’ll need. Apart from Hungary where you buy vignette not sure about Czech strangely enough.

They have a system in Czech similar to the GoBox, I bought one at the services at the border.

Thanks for the replies guys,by the way,you don’t go through Czech…it’s France,Belgium,Germany,Austria,Hungary,Romania,Serbia if you want to risk it going,because coming back you can’t go through with the dogs as they are not in the EU, then Bulgaria.
Just wondered why it would be a minefield turnip,I’m certainly not questionig your knowledge,I was just trying to find out pros and cons.

Steve

He shouldn’t touch Czech !
Best route is Bg-ro-hu-aus-d-lux-belg-home. But as I said earlier a minefield if your going to try it without all the proper certification. Road taxes in most countries + Eco taxes etc etc.

Sorry posted as you were.
My reasons are mostly that you would be viewed as a commercial rather than a private. Maybe it will be fine but Serbia Romania etc are notoriously awkward countries when it comes to officialdom. Good luck anyhow.

No, it isn’t a minefield.
get your go box on the german/austrian border.
get a vignette at the austrian/hungarian border.
get a vignette at the hungarian/romanian border.cash only. cards taken about 2 hours in, but it’s a bit late by then.
and do the same for bulgaria.
Take your logbook, mot, and insurance.
that’s it. no drama. just don’t stop near the border of hungary and romania on the romanian side. and don’t stop near the border of romania and bulgaria on either side.

turnip:
Maybe it will be fine but Serbia Romania etc are notoriously awkward countries when it comes to officialdom.

True, but it’s nothing a 20 euro note tucked into a passport can’t sort out. :wink:

Harry Monk:

turnip:
Maybe it will be fine but Serbia Romania etc are notoriously awkward countries when it comes to officialdom.

True, but it’s nothing a 20 euro note tucked into a passport can’t sort out. :wink:

Also true.

Harry Monk:

turnip:

■■■■ ■■ Are they still taken now adays

I only mentioned Czech cos’ I have never been strangely enough!

bigvern1:

I went last year for a couple of days, it’s nice and the country is really pushing hard to be a destination of choice. I’m looking forward to going there again a few times this year.

Well guys

I thank you very much for your input and advice.

Steve

mucker85:

bigvern1:

I went last year for a couple of days, it’s nice and the country is really pushing hard to be a destination of choice. I’m looking forward to going there again a few times this year.

Has the ring rd in prague improved?,used to be a beast,not been for 15yrs.
regards dave.

When I was there last summer they were doing major works and putting a tunnel under the city to take a load of traffic off the ring road.

Thanks for the info mucker.
regards dave.

Praha ring can be nightmare during on rush time or not - normally always traffic!

dafdave:
Thanks for the info mucker.
regards dave.

No worries, I’ll try and get some photos when I’m back there this year, fingers crossed.