7.5 ton in France?

Hi All
This looks like a really usefull site, lots of friendly advice…

If I have this correct, 7.5 ton moving own goods (personal effects, ie house), doesnt need a tacho disc?? But prob a good idea to have one in anyway?
Should you also then be carefull about the hours driven still? seeming as their would be a record…

Also is it really as bad as I have read about starting a biz in France? ie, I may have the opportunity for a few trips too/from UK/France once or twice a month… would keep the wolves from the door…

Cheers
Si
Looking for a 7.5 ton luton/box/curtain

If your vehicle is over 3.5 tonne you will need a tachograph. If you are towing a heavy trailer with a shogun or a range rover you need a tacho. There are hours regulations for many vehicles. The domestic rules still use paper log books in some circumstances.

Remember if you are doing regular trips between the UK and France you will be watched, Too much beer or too many cigs. You know what I mean

I thought someone said in another thread that if your moving house you dont need to use a tacho… or is that just the UK??
Cheers
Si

The problem with this question and answer is that there are several rules to abide by.

1st EC National and International Rules: apply to drivers of most vehicles being used commercially of over 3.5 tonne gvw inclusive of the weight of any trailer.

2nd AETR Rules: apply to vehicles on journeys to or through some european countries outside the ec. similar to ec rules.

3rd Domestic Rules: apply to drivers of most vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes gvw and drivers who are exempt from ec rules.

4th Mixed Driving: apply to drivers doing more than one of the above.

Very few goods vehicles are completely exempt from drivers hours regs, For a complete list of exemptions see DFT Drivers Hours and Exemptions GV262 or visit tan.gov.uk.

EC regs 3820/85 & 3821/85 lay down the rules that must be followed by drivers and operators of vehicles used for the carriage of goods that are over 3.5 tonne gvw including any trailer. These rules apply to any person who drives the vehicle even for a short period, or is carried in the vehicle in order to drive if necessary. These same regs require the fitment of tachos in vehicles over 3.5 tonne.

No-one said it was simple.
These regs were stolen from the RHA handbook

Er… now you really have confused me…

I will be buying a 7.5 ton truck just to move house so it wont be used for hire and reward or for any commercial gain… my things from my house to a new house…

SO… looks like I will need to keep a good eye on how many hours I am driving then?? and use the tacho…
Cheers
Si

Just been looking at the gove web site…

“Drivers are exempt from the EC drivers’ hours rules and from the tachograph rules (see following questions) when engaged in the following transport operations anywhere in the European Community. For the drivers’ hours and record-keeping requirements for these operations turn to Part C.”

"Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of goods for personal use. "

So, I take it now that I dont need to worry about hours and Tacho…
Ooh my head hurts…

You are about right there Si, but you would have to convince the French that you are exempt these regs… They will fine you and let you (try to)claim back the fine if you are stopped without a tacho in. better to just run as if you are controlled by eec regs, after all wether you drive for hire & reward or for personal use, you will still need to take breaks for safety reasons, (we all get tired)so why not just drive within eec regs to save any hassle?

OK, that makes sense… dont fancy trying to get the money back…

What should I do then??
Whats a good routine to use? seeming as I am not familier with the regs!!

Si:
Whats a good routine to use? seeming as I am not familier with the regs!!

where from and where to■■?

Routine… not route…(see other thread!!)
Been suggested 3 hours driving and 1 hour rest…
Cheers
Si

Hello Si,i dont know if this will help, i moved to Spain last year,i hired a 7.5tonne van.I got a lot of infomation from people one telling this another telling that.And i was worried about driving on a sunday in France,so i enquired at brittany ferries.After i was weighted i was 30kilos under weight so i could drive,so i ring them to find out what weight you need to drive.Secondly i did not need a tacho.

Drivers Hours Regs say, Maximum driving period 4:30 hrs.
Minimum break 0:45 mins.
Maximum daily driving 9:00 hrs, can be extended to 10:00 hrs, twice in a week.
Daily rest period 11:00 hrs, can be shortened to 9:00 hrs three times in a week.

If you follow the advise of 3hrs driving 1hr rest, you shouldn’t have any problems, (I prefer 3:30 - break, 3:30 - break, 3:00 rest for a 10:00hrs driving day). Providing, of course, that you don’t breach any of the other rules. If there are two of you driving the same truck, you can use two charts in the same tacho head, swopping drivers (and charts) over as needed. Then you can add two sets of drivers hours together giving you 18 or 20 hrs driving in a day. That would get you to almost anywhere in France in a day.