66 plate Actros

Both. First you get a light on the dash, then I think the buzzer comes on. If no action is taken it brakes for you.

I think. I never managed to set it off but from what other drivers have told me, that’s how it progresses as you get closer.

Terry T:
Both. First you get a light on the dash, then I think the buzzer comes on. If no action is taken it brakes for you.

I think. I never managed to set it off but from what other drivers have told me, that’s how it progresses as you get closer.

Went past a road sign the other day and everythimg flagged up :open_mouth:

There are 3 different specs for the collision warning.

1 is just the warning on the dash

2 is a bit of exhaust brake (from what I can tell on mine) and you have to steer around the obstacle.

Level 3 will bring the motor to a complete stop.

All depends how generous or stingy your boss/accountant is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNowak:
There are 3 different specs for the collision warning.

1 is just the warning on the dash

2 is a bit of exhaust brake (from what I can tell on mine) and you have to steer around the obstacle.

Level 3 will bring the motor to a complete stop.

All depends how generous or stingy your boss/accountant is.

Mine will be spec 1 only then in that case. :smiley:

The way the AEBS systems work is governed by legislation plus some manufacturers have extra facilities over and above the minimum legal requirement.

The system should give the driver a warning at 1.4 seconds before braking. At this point it may cut the throttle but is only allowed to lose a maximum of 15mph and should also show brake lights.

If the driver takes no action (braking, steering or accelerator kick down) it will warn again at 0.8 seconds before braking. Again the driver can cancel further action by the braking system with positive actions.

Some of the systems have other features and may warn the driver in other circumstances. I suppose it’s a case of read the handbook (if there is one).

Some of the ‘lesser’ systems only have a radar and tend to give plenty of false alerts (DAF) but the better ones also have 1 or 2 cameras that allow the truck to make more informed decisions. They are supposed to be able to distinguish between vehicles and lamp posts etc.

The MAN system seems pretty good. it varies alerts based on speed and driver activity. if it knows the driver is in a city due to steering/brake/accelerator activity it warns later, whereas at higher speeds or where the driver is not very active it warns earlier.

With all the systems they should not brake too early. The timings are laid down in legislation.

I reckon most drivers who have problems with these systems alerting when they think it shouldn’t, or worse braking for them - really should have a look at their driving style. :unamused: :wink:

Some vehicle are allowed to disable the system. Live animal transport, some tankers - so I am guessing there is a means to disable it but I wouldn’t want to be in a serious collision and the authorities find it deactivated.

shep532:
Some vehicle are allowed to disable the system. Live animal transport, some tankers - so I am guessing there is a means to disable it but I wouldn’t want to be in a serious collision and the authorities find it deactivated.

That’s a good point mate, never thought of that.
It will be like everything else I suppose, will just need to get used to it. Just that I have heard all sorts of stories, maybe all crap after saying that, of braking for roadsigns, parked cars on roadside etc etc which put me off a bit.
(Btw for the record, I did not mean can you disable it or fiddle it, I meant is it optional like on a switch.)

You can turn the lane departure warning and advanced emergency braking off in the scanias via switches on the dash. They default back to on next time you restart the engine though. Never had the brakes come on for no reason so I’m guessing the scania system works quite well. Get the odd lane departure warning for no reason occasionally but nothing that makes me want to turn the system off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk