65+ licence/medical renewal?

Anyone help with the undermentioned.
over 65, how often is a PCV/LGV licence renewed thereafter? At what cost presantly?
and…
over 65, how often is a PCV/LGV medical renewed thereafter?
Thanks.

Every year, medical and license. Seems strange that we can raise the retirement age because we are fitter and live longer but cant raise the licence cut ofg.

Medical are currently not necessary because of C19.
Renewal costs £14 online, or £17 by post.
All info available on DVSA site.

Whilst it’s true no medical necessary, does that apply to those with already declared conditions where their applications get sent to the medical dept every time?

Also it might be prudent to get the once over from the doctor, probably the only time the average chap gets his heart monitored, and if your medical fees are re-imbursed anyway?
Some doctors are taking HGV medicals again, it’s the NHS (applause) which has more or less shut down, IMO no harm in getting yourself examined it could be months before you ever get to see your normal doctor again, unless private consultation.
Doctor’s HGV fees vary between about £60 (for one not in a chain) and £120.

As a 65 year oldI have just renewed my for 12months without a medical but with a new photo, it didn’t cost me anything. Posted it off on Sat 5th Sep got it back Friday 11th Sep so no problems.I am still on furlough and have enjoyed not working and have decided to finish work and take early retirement,I should have finished January anyway.

I haven’t seen the renewal forms recently but would expect some sort of self declaration that one has no medical impairment.
And a medical not being obligatory, doesn’t mean they are prohibited, so as Juddian says a check may be a good idea if in any doubt. But do we need the “worried well” taking up doctor’s time? Not an easy one.

aldafdriver:
As a 65 year oldI have just renewed my for 12months without a medical but with a new photo, it didn’t cost me anything. Posted it off on Sat 5th Sep got it back Friday 11th Sep so no problems.I am still on furlough and have enjoyed not working and have decided to finish work and take early retirement,I should have finished January anyway.

Iv’e just had a thought, my 5 year licence is from 19/4/16 - 18/4/21 but I was 65 in April past, presumably it’s a case of renewing at the expiry date and not April past…or is it April past?

Juddian:
Whilst it’s true no medical necessary, does that apply to those with already declared conditions where their applications get sent to the medical dept every time?

No, I have just had my medical renewal forms arrive yesterday.

scottie0011:

Juddian:

No, I have just had my medical renewal forms arrive yesterday.

Thanks for that.

I am off work at the moment with arrhythmia and had to surrender my license. I have been off for 6 weeks. As soon as I surrendered my license,DVLA sent me a D4 + D47P to get my licence back once the old ticker has behaved itself for 3 months. I will apply maybe at the end of October. Am fully expecting to have a medical.
Also I had to renew my photo which cost me £17 (or £14 online)

global:

aldafdriver:

Iv’e just had a thought, my 5 year licence is from 19/4/16 - 18/4/21 but I was 65 in April past, presumably it’s a case of renewing at the expiry date and not April past…or is it April past?

Your licence expires…when it expires.
Check expiry dates for all classes carefully.

Franglais:

global:

aldafdriver:
As a 65 year oldI have just renewed my for 12months without a medical but with a new photo, it didn’t cost me anything.

Yes, I’m at a loss as to why this happens when renewing the photo?

global:

Franglais:

global:

aldafdriver:
As a 65 year oldI have just renewed my for 12months without a medical but with a new photo, it didn’t cost me anything.

Lorry (and bus) licence renewals are free. If you need to update the photo at the same time (the renewal form will tell you if this is the case) then that’s also free, as I understand it. Due to Covid-19, drivers aged over 45 will not have to submit a medical report although their new licence will only be valid for 12 months.

global:

Franglais:

global:

aldafdriver:

My licence was due to expire on my 64th birthday, I was told to change the photo and it came back with an expiry date of 65th birthday

[/quote]
Renewal date should have been your 65th birthday. Renewal date on the front is for all general groups, but check each class on the rear, they’re not always all the same date.

trucken:
Renewal date should have been your 65th birthday. Renewal date on the front is for all general groups, but check each class on the rear, they’re not always all the same date.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that you get a maximum of five years, subject to not going more than 12 months past your 65th birthday. So your renewal date could be anywhere between your 65th and 66th birthdays.

Happy to be corrected on this point (especially as my current lorry entitlement expires just 4 months before my 65th birthday, and I’d rather not have to cough up twice within 4 months for medical examinations…)

Roymondo:

trucken:

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that you get a maximum of five years, subject to not going more than 12 months past your 65th birthday. So your renewal date could be anywhere between your 65th and 66th birthdays.

Happy to be corrected on this point (especially as my current lorry entitlement expires just 4 months before my 65th birthday, and I’d rather not have to cough up twice within 4 months for medical examinations…)

There must be some reason why the end date runs beyond 65.

Roymondo:

trucken:

No, that’s correct, my licence expires when I’m 65 years, 11 months and one week old, 0r 24 days before my 66th birthday.

global:

Roymondo:

trucken:

There must be some reason why the end date runs beyond 65.

There is. The requirement for annual medical reports only kicks in when you reach 65 - so you must have a medical no later than your 66th birthday (i.e. one year later). Of course, if your existing licence only takes you a few months past your 65th birthday then that’s when you’ll need your medical (as it will have been five years since your last renewal).