6 week inspections.

Is a 6 week inspection to be carried out exactly 6 weeks to the day of the last inspection or can it be done in the 6th week of the last inspection?

The scenario is this; my driver wanted a day off on the Monday when his wagon was due for 6 week inspection on the Friday of the same week. Rather than him take the day off and then have to be back for inspection at 2pm on the Friday I brought the inspection forward to the Monday. Not a problem there as 5 weeks 3 days since the previous inspection.

The garage are now saying that so long as I take it in for inspection on the Friday of the 6th week after the last inspection that will be fine as long as it’s done in the 6th week. So if i do take it in on the Friday it will be 6 weeks and 4 days since last inspection??

My understanding is that the inspections should be done 6 weeks to the day of the last inspection or less? If so I will have to take it in the Friday before in the 5th week to keep within the 6 week rules?

Sorry this may be a really confusing post but I know what I’m talking about…I think [emoji15][emoji15]

Cheers
Matt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBH as long as you have a good track record of timely inspections it’s no dramas pushing it back a few days. If your on good terms with your maintenance provider they can always BS they were too busy if there were any ramifications but very unlikely. It’s a good idea to just make a note on your maintenance wall planner/diary which if you don’t have you ought to.

Not sure entirely what the situation is, from your post, but also if the driver is off and the truck idle/laid up for a few days you can always leave it and then give it what’s called a first use inspection before using it again.

The garage is correct. Satefy inspections are required on any day within the ISO week in which it falls. An ISO week runs from Monday to Sunday. So in your case as long as the inspection is carried out within the 6th week Any day is fine.

Imagine your first inspection was on a Monday. Your next inspection could be the Sunday of the 6th week (almost week 7), the next inspection could be the Tuesday of the 12th week etc.

The guidelines changed to allow flexibility because of situations as you have mentioned. For a lot of operators taking a vehicle for its Satefy inspections exactly 6 weeks to the day (or whatever the frequancy is) would/could be impossible.

Madison5:
The garage is correct. Satefy inspections are required on any day within the ISO week in which it falls. An ISO week runs from Monday to Sunday. So in your case as long as the inspection is carried out within the 6th week Any day is fine.

Imagine your first inspection was on a Monday. Your next inspection could be the Sunday of the 6th week (almost week 7), the next inspection could be the Tuesday of the 12th week etc.

The guidelines changed to allow flexibility because of situations as you have mentioned. For a lot of operators taking a vehicle for its Satefy inspections exactly 6 weeks to the day (or whatever the frequancy is) would/could be impossible.

Cheers fellas. I did find a little snippet on the website about the ISO weeks but thanks for your replies.

Matt

You’d be buggered if it was to the day as you could end up with Christmas day good Friday or some bank holiday

These inspections are supposed to be carried out with reference to what the vehicle actually does. It is supposed to take into account: the age of the vehicle, mileage in period, weight carried, on/off road use, type of work, type of roads and from the sensible operator’s viewpoint summer/winter weather etc. This sets the frequency. Above all else it is the proof of the pudding which matters, what defects are being picked up on the inspections? is there proof that developing wear is being kept under observation and signed off as serviceable? Certain items do not suddenly become so badly defective that they require replacement without some indication of their demise having been obvious previously. A vehicle which normally works full time, has a good record of minor noted defects and their rectification with nothing like: ‘worn but just serviceable ball joint’ etc on the last inspection; but which only works three days a week in the summer months on light loads and on main roads, so only covering say 3500/4000km in a six week period, could arguably be put back to the end of week 7 or day 2 of week 8 (if not used on the 1st day of that week). However to do this accurate accessible proof supporting the infrequent use needs to be available and perhaps noted in the maintenance file. Furthermore due consideration of ‘standing still disease’ and parking surface needs to be taken into account.

What is set in stone is 13 weeks as the maximum allowable period for any vehicle regardless of any other consideration.

cav551:
These inspections are supposed to be carried out with reference to what the vehicle actually does. It is supposed to take into account: the age of the vehicle, mileage in period, weight carried, on/off road use, type of work, type of roads and from the sensible operator’s viewpoint summer/winter weather etc. This sets the frequency. Above all else it is the proof of the pudding which matters, what defects are being picked up on the inspections? is there proof that developing wear is being kept under observation and signed off as serviceable? Certain items do not suddenly become so badly defective that they require replacement without some indication of their demise having been obvious previously. A vehicle which normally works full time, has a good record of minor noted defects and their rectification with nothing like: ‘worn but just serviceable ball joint’ etc on the last inspection; but which only works three days a week in the summer months on light loads and on main roads, so only covering say 3500/4000km in a six week period, could arguably be put back to the end of week 7 or day 2 of week 8 (if not used on the 1st day of that week). However to do this accurate accessible proof supporting the infrequent use needs to be available and perhaps noted in the maintenance file. Furthermore due consideration of ‘standing still disease’ and parking surface needs to be taken into account.

What is set in stone is 13 weeks as the maximum allowable period for any vehicle regardless of any other consideration.

Yeah in fully aware of that I just wasn’t sure if it was to the day or within the week.

Matt.

nick2008:
You’d be buggered if it was to the day as you could end up with Christmas day good Friday or some bank holiday

You say that but the bloke who’s yard I park in was being regularly audited by Vosa due to poor maintenance and he actually got picked up on the fact a wagon had missed an inspection as it was due on Boxing Day. Vosas argument, quite rightly, was that it should have been done before Boxing Day rather than after to keep within the 6 week period.

Matt.

^^
That is being beyond ■■■■ about it. Even in the circumstances unless the rota inspection picked up something serious which really ought to have been noticed by the driver but had been ignored, then making a fuss over one day is not acceptable. Mentioning the principle only, of better planning is a different matter.

xfmatt:

nick2008:

You say that but the bloke who’s yard I park in was being regularly audited by Vosa due to poor maintenance and he actually got picked up on the fact a wagon had missed an inspection as it was due on Boxing Day. Vosas argument, quite rightly, was that it should have been done before Boxing Day rather than after to keep within the 6 week period.

Matt.

I think the clue there was he had a poor record, so I would think VOSA were keeping him on his toes and trying to stop him thinking he can find excuses for missing other inspections.