6 points on licence or not?

hi all, i have a question on behalf of a friend, he’s got 6 points which are 3,5 years old, he wants to look for another job, when applying does he have to tell he’s got 6 points or none? i know they only count for 3 years in totting up, but stay on the licence for 4 , so we’re confused a little bit, some recruitment agencies say he’s got none and some he’s got 6

Get him to put his license number on dvla website, that should tell him how many he’s got and when they will expire.

Brae:
Get him to put his license number on dvla website, that should tell him how many he’s got and when they will expire.

it says he’s got 6, but they dont count in totting up anymore, so which one employers are interested in more?

You’d have to ask the employer.

When the employer logs into the ‘share my licence’ system they will see the offences/points so I would suggest they are therefore on his licence.

If I was the employer I would take the offences into account. Might make a difference - depends what the offences were and who else comes for the job. :wink:

robakles:

Brae:

it says he’s got 6, but they dont count in totting up anymore, so which one employers are interested in more?

What it says on the screen when the employer types in the code he gives them to do the license check so if it says he’s got 6 when he checked then that is what the employer will also see.

Interesting! In the days of the counterpart points lasted for three years (with some notable exceptions) but could be removed from your counterpart after four years, so nowadays surely after the points are nullified (3 years) they will no longer show on the database?

I may be wrong but I can’t see the Govt paying for a computer system advanced enough to store historical points for an extra year.

the maoster:
Interesting! In the days of the counterpart points lasted for three years (with some notable exceptions) but could be removed from your counterpart after four years, so nowadays surely after the points are nullified (3 years) they will no longer show on the database?

I may be wrong but I can’t see the Govt paying for a computer system advanced enough to store historical points for an extra year.

I stand to be corrected, but, the points are spent 3 years after date off conviction, and are removed 4 years after date off offence. The Fixed Penalty system means offence and conviction are the same day, but if you went to court, the conviction might be 3-4 months after the offence :wink:

the maoster:

This is an interesting point.

I don’t have any points on my licence so I can’t check. Does anyone on here with points that are older than 3 years know if they still show on the screen the employer sees when they use the 8 digit unique number to login? Can someone with points older than 3 years login, create a code and then login with that code and see what it shows?

I know it shows the employer total number of offences and total points at the top right. They cannot see what the offences are/were or when they were. Maybe they do disappear from the system after 3 years? Or do they stay there 4 years like they would have done on the paper counterpart?

I have had a discussion with DVLA about DR codes that stay on a licence for 11 years. A senior manager at DVLA told me the new online system wouldn’t show them after 5 years (Rehabilitation of offenders act) - but then someone I know logged in and they were still there at 8 years old so it seems the DVLA don’t know what their own system is doing.

shep532:
This is an interesting point.

I don’t have any points on my licence so I can’t check. Does anyone on here with points that are older than 3 years know if they still show on the screen the employer sees when they use the 8 digit unique number to login? Can someone with points older than 3 years login, create a code and then login with that code and see what it shows?

It shows no points for a 3 point speeding offence 4 years old.

Conor:

So is that just less than 4 years old or would it actually have gone from the paper counter part? Sorry to be particular :unamused:

If it is older than 3 but not quite 4 years then it is interesting to see this is now hidden from the employer - even though it would have still been on the paper counterpart.

Shep any points on a licence is valid for four years and they count as current. They are spent the day after the four years is up. The 3 year is just for totting up meaning that if the points are over 3 but under 4 they are not taken into account if say a ban is imminent that may impact your employment etc.

I have 3 points that have just expired i.e. they are now over four years old Agencies now view them as spent so I only have 3 that are current (2 years old). 3 months ago Agencies said I had 6 points when the first 3 were over 3 years old but under 4.

Hope that is clear

shep532:

Conor:

So is that just less than 4 years old or would it actually have gone from the paper counter part? Sorry to be particular :unamused:

If it is older than 3 but not quite 4 years then it is interesting to see this is now hidden from the employer - even though it would have still been on the paper counterpart.

Points gained November 2010, SP30. Were on paper counterpart but weren’t sent off to have them removed. They would have actually gone from the paper counterpart had it been sent off.

Conor:

shep532:

Conor:

Points gained November 2010, SP30. Were on paper counterpart but weren’t sent off to have them removed. They would have actually gone from the paper counterpart had it been sent off.

+1 and there is no paper part now so they are gone from the database/online

alder:
Shep any points on a licence is valid for four years and they count as current. They are spent the day after the four years is up. The 3 year is just for totting up meaning that if the points are over 3 but under 4 they are not taken into account if say a ban is imminent that may impact your employment etc.

I have 3 points that have just expired i.e. they are now over four years old Agencies now view them as spent so I only have 3 that are current (2 years old). 3 months ago Agencies said I had 6 points when the first 3 were over 3 years old but under 4.

Hope that is clear

Yes that is clear thank you but I already understand the legalities - what I am trying to figure out is whether points that are no longer valid for totting up but are still ‘valid’ (less than 4 years) appear on the page seen by employers via ‘share my licence’.

So from what you are saying and what I am thinking - an employer will still see points in year 3 to 4 and therefore may take them into account when deciding who to employ.

As far as I can see - from the page seen by employers they cannot tell how old points are or what they were for. Therefore I think the new system is falling short of the requirements. Of course the employer could ask the employee - but may not get the truth :wink:

shep532:

alder:

Hope that is clear

Yes that is clear thank you but I already understand the legalities - what I am trying to figure out is whether points that are no longer valid for totting up but are still ‘valid’ (less than 4 years) appear on the page seen by employers via ‘share my licence’.

So from what you are saying and what I am thinking - an employer will still see points in year 3 to 4 and therefore may take them into account when deciding who to employ.

As far as I can see - from the page seen by employers they cannot tell how old points are or what they were for. Therefore I think the new system is falling short of the requirements. Of course the employer could ask the employee - but may not get the truth :wink:

Yes they can because the points are dated when they were issued. Mine says date of offence 29 July 2013.

When a driver logs in using licence number and NI number he sees completely different information to that seen logging in with an 8 digit unique number.

What I’m trying to find out is if you login and create a unique number - then login with it can you see when points were issued and what offence?

Am I making sense?