6 hour rule

I have been told you can now have a 15 break before your 6 hours of work :question: That then takes you to 9 then you have to have the 30.
I always thought it was 30 if you work 6. I have also been informed that this law came in to force last year. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Help.

I know this has been done to death on this forum, but here goes…

You must have a break at or before 6 hours work (at least 15 minutes).
If you work between 6 and 9 hours you must have a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
If your working more than 9 hours then you must have a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.

You do not have to take 30 at the 6 hour mark. I’ve had to convince our so called TM of that.

ravanoli:
I have been told you can now have a 15 break before your 6 hours of work :question: That then takes you to 9 then you have to have the 30.
I always thought it was 30 if you work 6. I have also been informed that this law came in to force last year. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Help.

hi hope this helps you

Mobile worker A

6 hours other work ¼ hr break 2 hours other work ¼ hr break 1 hour other work End of shift

6 hours consecutive other work triggers the break requirement under the Regulations. A break of at least 15 minutes must be taken. Mobile worker A then does another 2 hours other work, takes a break for 15 minutes and then completes another hour of other work before ending their shift. This complies with the Regulations as their working time is interrupted by breaks totalling 30 minutes.

The Regulations require that:

mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break,
if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,
if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes,
breaks should be of at least 15 minutes duration.
In the interest of safety, and as a matter of good practice, it is strongly recommended that breaks should be distributed evenly throughout the day.

ravanoli:

Help.

This came in when the WTD for mobile workers came in, there has been no change but it has taken a long time for people to understand the regulations, a fact not helped by those doing the training getting it wrong from day 1. 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work and the remainder of the break will depend on the length of the shift. Of working between 6 and 9 hours the second 15 minutes will have to be taken before the end of the shift. If working over 9 hours then the remaining 30 minutes, which can be taken as 2x15, must be taken before the end of the shift, or at least 15 minutes before exceeding the next 6 hours of work whichever comes first. There is no requirement to have a break at the 9 hour mark, and never has been.