6 Grand for HGV COURSE?!

Listening to local radio consumer show and a fella paid SIX THOUSAND pounds :open_mouth: for a course??!
Definitely sounds like a broker but i would hope for that money you’d get more or less everything ADR Hiab possible job interview etc etc included in price?

Fella was apparently put on wrong course hence contacting the radio show and was after getting some money back due to lost earnings and being put through wrong course but he seemed to be aware of the 6K figure anyway unless something is wrong with the info given why would you pay that much in the first place?

Presenter did name the company and said they hadn’t returned calls or emails so certainly seem like cowboys, based in London.
Dunno if anyone else on here listened bbc three counties radio? and if i’ve got something wrong please correct me but i’m just surprised anyone would fork out that much whether through finance or not!

Clearly a bellend who didn’t do any research!
In this day and age where the web is at your fingertips I’ve no sympathy…

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xnfc2 - see 2 hr 52 mins

HGV express named - which I have named before as being a broker

Your not wrong there Evil most things are but a few taps and mouse clicks away nowadays unless they promised far more than was given?!

Nice work there ROG! Thought they must have been brokers i just nearly choked on my coffee when it said how much he’d spent :open_mouth: :open_mouth: realize you’d spend more with a broker but not THAT much surely!

I spent about £2200 just on my class 2 licence. forgetting cpc and all the other bits.

£1000 - with a company called RSM, - FAILED with them. did not like their service or the instructors attitude.

£1150 - With a company called Roadtrain about a year later. passed first time.

I’ll probably have spent over £4000 once I’ve passed my C+E on HGV training.

The most I’ve been quoted for newbie to class 1 was £8,000 although many others quoted £6000 figures, but that was at least 10 years ago and I assume all were actually brokers. It doesn’t take much to do a little research, find this forum and then you discover all about the nasty HGV brokers and get more sensible figures. I guess some people just click the first shiny paid-for link at the top of Google which always seems to be a broker.

Maybe it’s time to ban training brokers and umbrella companies while we’re at it…oh and cowboy employers, Nissan Micra’s…err… :slight_smile:

Adam227 I’d roughly work it out that people should allow around 2 thousand quid if you take into account retests and the fact all the cpc stuff is involved with doing a class 2 not saying it will cost that just that I’d allow for that much through problems possibly encountered along the way!
Your total is still much less than what this bloke has paid to just one company it’d be nice to know exactly what he’d thought he’d paid for just to see if it’s not completely ridiculous maybe PSV as well?

trevHCS:
The most I’ve been quoted for newbie to class 1 was £8,000 although many others quoted £6000 figures, but that was at least 10 years ago and I assume all were actually brokers. It doesn’t take much to do a little research, find this forum and then you discover all about the nasty HGV brokers and get more sensible figures. I guess some people just click the first shiny paid-for link at the top of Google which always seems to be a broker.

Maybe it’s time to ban training brokers and umbrella companies while we’re at it…oh and cowboy employers, Nissan Micra’s…err… :slight_smile:

Trev can I ask how they justified those figures that were quoted to you please?

I wonder if they put him through a class 1 course, then of course he finds out he can’t do that without class 2 first. Broker turns round and denies all responsibility since the customer booked it. Then they say you’ve got to do class 2, then rebook another class 1 set of lessons. From what I’ve read of the aforementioned broker, that really wouldn’t surprise me.

As for the £6000 - 8000 - to be honest really don’t know. Everything was hourly rates and non of them would commit to a likely number of hours, so suspect it’d be a case of keep going until we’ve squeezed thousands out of the customer and probably never get to an actual test. If I’d seen this forum back then it’d have made life a lot easier and I’d have been trucking many years ago.

Thanks Trev yeah I think I agree with you about the double charging of courses! I know its been well said before about steering clear of brokers I just couldn’t believe the amount charged, maybe I’m just naïve in that respect but if someone told me I’d be paying that much I’d want to kick them in the ■■■ personally :smiling_imp:

trevHCS:

And cyclists?

Evil8Beezle:
Clearly a bellend who didn’t do any research!
In this day and age where the web is at your fingertips I’ve no sympathy…

Ive got to say i do agree. Nowadays you can even be an expert in nuclear physics after an hour or two online lol.

4 years ago I went from a car licence to class 1, all in (theory, medical etc etc etc) for under 2.5 k (probably closer to £2200 than £2300)

I can’t believe things have gone up all that much, unless trainers are passing on the cost of buying automatic motors straight onto the customers.

And I didn’t do it through a backstreet operator, the trucks were getting on a bit, but drove as well as anything else I’ve driven. Had their own test centre too, so the yard I practised my reverse on, was the one I took both my tests on.

I’d surely expect to be able to get the same for £3-£3.5k nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNowak:
4 years ago I went from a car licence to class 1, all in (theory, medical etc etc etc) for under 2.5 k (probably closer to £2200 than £2300)

I can’t believe things have gone up all that much, unless trainers are passing on the cost of buying automatic motors straight onto the customers.

And I didn’t do it through a backstreet operator, the trucks were getting on a bit, but drove as well as anything else I’ve driven. Had their own test centre too, so the yard I practised my reverse on, was the one I took both my tests on.

I’ve just paid 1400 for class 2 and cpc the same place charges another 1300 for class one. Another company quoted me around about the same and training with eddie stobbarts it’s still under 3k. If any one would pay 6 they need there head checked.

Paddy2518:

PaulNowak:

I’ve just paid 1400 for class 2 and cpc the same place charges another 1300 for class one. Another company quoted me around about the same and training with eddie stobbarts it’s still under 3k. If any one would pay 6 they need there head checked.

That sounds about right mate…
For both classes I spent about 3k with no retests, a full ADR and 3 days towards my next CPC…

These are the current prices for the place I trained.

12 hrs £600
16 hrs £675
20 hrs £725
24 hrs £845
28 hrs £945

DVSA test fee £115 weekday £141 Saturday (no VAT)

DVSA Driver CPC Practical Test weekday £55, Saturday £63 (no VAT).

I forgot to ask the person who sent me this if they still do the 10% discount for returning for your second lot of training.

You are on the money there Paul. Work on £50 an hour plus tests, medical, DCPC, etc and you won’t be far off. Bearing in mind that the national LGV pass rate is around the 50% mark, figure on 4 tests to gain class 1.

Three grand should easily do it.

eagerbeaver:
You are on the money there Paul. Work on £50 an hour plus tests, medical, DCPC, etc and you won’t be far off. Bearing in mind that the national LGV pass rate is around the 50% mark, figure on 4 tests to gain class 1.

Three grand should easily do it.

I’m working on bugger all bud. Got mine, and I did it in 2 tests, in manuals.

Now I’m just living the dream

Although I do keep thinking that when I have enough spare cash lying about, I’ll do the bus jobbie, just to get a full set. And maybe see out my driving days ferrying busloads of Doris’s down to Benidorm.

Not a priority right now though.

By the way bud, that new motor of mine knocks spots off the old one. The extra 750,000kms might have a bit to do with it, but for now, it pulls loads better, doesn’t have an arsetronic gearbox, and it feels more like you are driving something, as opposed to captaining it.

a quick question are all your training expenses tax deductible in the uk ?