5th wheel height

Hey folks. As a follow on from the bridge height post. Does everyone know the correct height of their 5th wheel? I drive a Renault Premium 450 ‘07 and was told by our comapny driver trainer that it’s 1250mm. I have driven under the railway bridge in Blackburn that is sign posted 14’ 6" (the Blackburn nr. Preston, not the Scottish Blackburn) with a 14’ 6" trailer. Needless to say I cleared it as I was going very slow plus I was 43,900kg so was perhaps a little lower because of the weight. for those that know it, it’s the one where you go under it then hang a sharp left then go up a hill. What I noticed was it had lights attached to the under side of it. I wonder if these are taken into consideration.

Anyway, how do you correctly check the height of the 5th wheel? Under a trailer? Solo? from the bottom of the plate, the top■■? I don’t know of any 5th wheel height that’s higher than 1250mm so when I pull a trailer that’s showing 1150mm or whatever I’ll always recalculate it for 1250mm. I checked the owners manual but it’s not listed there.

its from the floor to the top of the fifth wheel, if in doubt just measure from the top of the trailer to the floor

was lisening to a lad saying he had to turn around at a 13ft bridge as he was running at 13 ft 6 .
another lad said he should of dropped all the suspension down and that would of lost him 8 inches and hed of gone under, insisted dropping the suspension looses you 8 inches .
dropping everything down doesnt look like eight inches to me , but he seemed to think it was

ady1:
was lisening to a lad saying he had to turn around at a 13ft bridge as he was running at 13 ft 6 .
another lad said he should of dropped all the suspension down and that would of lost him 8 inches and hed of gone under, insisted dropping the suspension looses you 8 inches .
dropping everything down doesnt look like eight inches to me , but he seemed to think it was

probably used to telling his wife 8 inches when he dropped them.
but that cant be right.

dave:

ady1:

probably used to telling his wife 8 inches when he dropped them.
but that cant be right.

hahahahahahahahahaha!

I would say dropping gives 3 max

steve-o, the fifth wheel sits on two pedistools. They bolt on to your chassis (usually). Most pedistools on a 4x2 unit are 185mm in height. Euro spec is usually 145mm. This is for a fixed fifth wheel i never had a slider so cant say if you do.

off topic slighly
driving under a bridge marked XYZ metres but was the sign round or triangular
triangular ones tell you the alledged height of bridge
leaving you to use your noddle
round ones prohibit vehicles over a certain height
the bridge may well be 5 metres high but the sign could ban anything over 4

i would measure 5th wheel height with level suspension
then measure the body height of traler from rubbing plate
then add the two togther