5th wheel grease

Now daylight has broken I have discovered that whoever took my usual truck out last night has managed to tread clumps of 5th wheel grease in the centre carpet. Considering almost all our trailers have mavis rails this seems like quite bad luck, but I have myself picked a clump up at the jetwash and trodden it into the cab steps before.

Any one hit fixes for the carpet? I think our jetwash is only working cold atm, thinking about washing machine or I do have a domestic steam cleaner at home.

Swarfega?

SWEDISH BLUE:
Swarfega?

Could be a good idea. Now I have got the lumps out im not getting much rubbing off onto wet wipes so was thinking of a washing up liquid scrub followed by a hose off

As mentioned Swarfega. Failing that pop into a petrol station and buy some lighter fluid (not gas because that would be just ridiculous) and liberally pour it one the affected area and then scrub with a wet wipe. Be aware that this can fade the colour of the carpet however.

Depending on how bad Fairy Liquid. Certainly genius at getting grease and oil off clothes, just rub in to stain and chuck in machine. I suggest rubbing copious amounts into carpet, leave for a couple of mins then pressure wash. Like Swarfega it’s hole purpose is lifting grease so try that

Unfortunately too many bods who attend the steering wheel have no clue, they’ll happily put their greasy filthy boots up on the bed let alone worry about any carpets encountered on the way :unamused:

You have to make allowances for such creatures, make sure your catwalk and all suzies are spotlessly clean, when the next brain donor scrapes all the service fresh fifth wheel grease up the front edge of the rubbing plate wipe it off asap before it has a chance to turn your air and electric lines into a greasy mess, some of our trucks and trailers are literally weeks old, on our side we keep the same trailer 95% of the time, yet the usual pride-less suspect’s airlines are already a greasy tangled spiders web that you don’t want to anywhere near.

Any decent detergent should get the grease out.

Is your centre carpet the removable type, like the Actros for instance?
I just hot pressure wash it with copious amounts of truck wash.
Comes out like a new carpet.

robroy:
Is your centre carpet the removable type, like the Actros for instance?
I just hot pressure wash it with copious amounts of truck wash.
Comes out like a new carpet.

Yep, just lifts out of the recess. We have an ibc of tfr or detergent so that might do the trick with a scrub and rinse

Juddian:
Unfortunately too many bods who attend the steering wheel have no clue, they’ll happily put their greasy filthy boots up on the bed let alone worry about any carpets encountered on the way :unamused:

You have to make allowances for such creatures, make sure your catwalk and all suzies are spotlessly clean, when the next brain donor scrapes all the service fresh fifth wheel grease up the front edge of the rubbing plate wipe it off asap before it has a chance to turn your air and electric lines into a greasy mess, some of our trucks and trailers are literally weeks old, on our side we keep the same trailer 95% of the time, yet the usual pride-less suspect’s airlines are already a greasy tangled spiders web that you don’t want to anywhere near.

Any decent detergent should get the grease out.

It would be nice to think people respected the mattress for the exclusive use of those nighting out but that is generally too much to hope for. In our volvos they are practically all black (from new) which probably hides a multitude of sins. I’ve seen some nasty looking cream Actros ones after a few years in use.

switchlogic:
Depending on how bad Fairy Liquid. Certainly genius at getting grease and oil off clothes, just rub in to stain and chuck in machine. I suggest rubbing copious amounts into carpet, leave for a couple of mins then pressure wash. Like Swarfega it’s hole purpose is lifting grease so try that

That’s an easy go to from home and cheap. If the truck wash and jet doesn’t deliver I will give that a go.

the maoster:
As mentioned Swarfega. Failing that pop into a petrol station and buy some lighter fluid (not gas because that would be just ridiculous) and liberally pour it one the affected area and then scrub with a wet wipe. Be aware that this can fade the colour of the carpet however.

I have got an aerosol of contact cleaner with me that I gave a go on the spots but didn’t appear to make an impact. I have veen off the ■■■■ long enough I don’t think I have any old zippo fluid lurking under the sink! I"m sure its a good solution though I can recall using it for shifting stubborn glue.

njl:
It would be nice to think people respected the mattress for the exclusive use of those nighting out but that is generally too much to hope for. In our volvos they are practically all black (from new) which probably hides a multitude of sins. I’ve seen some nasty looking cream Actros ones after a few years in use.

The black stains on the cream ones ain’t as nasty as the cream stains on the black ones. :bulb: :open_mouth: :smiley:

Neat TFR and a scrubbing brush should do it

Brake cleaner

I noticed in Spain in the 70s/80s that their tractor units used a different system from us regarding susies.
Their trailers had deep pins to accommodate 13te drive axle weights.They used a piece of channel bolted/hinged to a cross bar between the chassis rails underneath the 5th.wheel with air/electric leads secured within the channel.At the tractor unit end of the channel there were short susies plugged into the trailer where required.This enabled tight turns without stretching,snapping,or tangling the UK style susies.
Spanish never suffered the clarting up that we do/did.
The system never caught on here.

I prefer always rubbin some formaldehyde or formaline. If you have run out of it, a pit stop by a morgue or the undertakers and they will happily sort you with some. It leaveas a distinct scent too!

Gidders:
I noticed in Spain in the 70s/80s that their tractor units used a different system from us regarding susies.
Their trailers had deep pins to accommodate 13te drive axle weights.They used a piece of channel bolted/hinged to a cross bar between the chassis rails underneath the 5th.wheel with air/electric leads secured within the channel.At the tractor unit end of the channel there were short susies plugged into the trailer where required.This enabled tight turns without stretching,snapping,or tangling the UK style susies.
Spanish never suffered the clarting up that we do/did.
The system never caught on here.

They did indeed have that system you describe. But I havent noticed it there recently. (Admittedly I wasnt looking that closely!)
Looked a good idea, but if they`ve stopped using it, is there summat wrong with it?