5th wheel grease on seats

I am sure many of you folk like me, get this zb all over your trousers when on the cat walk etc and end up getting it on your seats, bedding, walls, doors…everywhere basically.

I was blabbering to a driver at a snack bar outside aldi bathgate and he noticed the stuff all over my door velour and said ‘back in a sec’. Not quite sure what he was on about but anyway he came back with WD40 and sprayed it all over my door and I almost died as the velour went all black but zb me when he rubbed it and it dried in all the grease was gone. Amazing stuff and I didn’t have a clue that WD40 was a cleaner too

Just thought I would share this info for anyone that didn’t know it and is fed up of black grease in the cab :smiley:

Its also good for putting a good shine on dulled paintwork too !!!

IMO, the best solvent for grease is petrol.

Harry Monk:

Thought you would have preferred meths Harry?

bowserman:

Harry Monk:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Once i had grease all over me AND seats
garage used brake and clutch dust cleaner solvent

wicked stuff… especially when u sniff it :smiley:

bowserman:

Harry Monk:

Meths, Carbon Tet, petrol, it’s all the same to me!

Drive a rigid.

No fifth wheel, no grease, no problem! :wink:

WD40 is also great as a flame thrower.

Let me explain.

Take 1 can of WD40,complete with red dispenser tube supplied,and 1 match or lighter.

Insert red tube in white nozzle end,and enter garage,or any other place where vermin or creepy crawlies live.

Find said animal,and point red tube on can at subject.

Light match or lighter,and hold in front of red tube.

Squeeze white nozzle,and point at subject.

Watch as flame disintergrates subject with a slow painful death.

Saves getting Rentokil out.

Another money saving tip from Quinny.

Ken.

Quinny:
Light match or lighter,and hold in front of red tube.

Squeeze white nozzle,and point at subject.

Watch as flame disintergrates subject with a slow painful death.

Saves getting Rentokil out.

Ken.

Watch from safety of neighbour’s house as the nice men with the big red shiny fire engine damp down the remains of your garage! :wink:

Quinny:

I never realised WD40 was flammable.

Harry Monk:

Quinny:

I never realised WD40 was flammable.

Also works with Right Guard :smiley:

The scariest thing I saw was when i spilled a bottle of red wine on my landladys carpet, my freind just ran in the kitchen and poured a bottle of white over the stain and it disappeared when she rubbed it witha cloth

there you go

DOMESTIC SCIENCE with trucknet 24hrs 7 days a week.

you cant beat it :smiley:

i have to wonder HOW exactly youre getting grease all over you from the 5th wheel?

when im hitching up, all i do before i hitch is maybe pull the pin,then when im hitched up, the 5th wheel is under the trailer, so im not going to get any grease on me from that while im connecting the susies?

beattun:
i have to wonder HOW exactly youre getting grease all over you from the 5th wheel?

when im hitching up, all i do before i hitch is maybe pull the pin,then when im hitched up, the 5th wheel is under the trailer, so im not going to get any grease on me from that while im connecting the susies?

me thinks that you are lucky to have your own unit, or one where the suzies are kept pout the way.

at my current place 3 English drivers and 20 foreign, a day doesnt go by where my hands and trousers aren’t smeared with grease, i think the main problem with them is they connect to the trailer with the unit too high and it scrapes grease off the wheel, (then because the suzies are left on the back of the unit where they drop into one huge twisted mess), the grease then falls off onto the suzies.

forgot to add the company has found a way to combat the problem of grease everywhere, they dont put any grease on the wheel, they just leave them dry as a bone and let the mot service guys put grease on once a year.

gnasty gnome:
Drive a rigid.

No fifth wheel, no grease, no problem! :wink:

Or a wag & drag :sunglasses:

i think the main problem with them is they connect to the trailer with the unit too high and it scrapes grease off the wheel, (then because the suzies are left on the back of the unit where they drop into one huge twisted mess), the grease then falls off onto the suzies.
[/quote]

I think it more likely that they’ve been “screwing” the unit and trailer round as when the suzies are hanging low and not “bungied up” the lines wipe themselves on the grease on the front of the trailer plate and also tangle like spaghetti.

Another giveaway sign is that the front corners of the trailer (particularly if it’s a curtainsider) are covered in grease as well. It only takes a couple of minutes to wipe it off the front corners with a cloth soaked in “cherry”, it’s surprising how many drivers don’t bother. It takes a bit longer to clean the suzies, usually the first job I had to do when I came back off holiday and somebody else had been using my unit.

Does anybody have any experience of the greaseless fifth wheel liners which are advertised? and I think I’ve read somewhere that Jost are introducing a greaseless, lightweight fifth wheel?

Grease I hate it :angry:

howatsi:
Does anybody have any experience of the greaseless fifth wheel liners which are advertised? and I think I’ve read somewhere that Jost are introducing a greaseless, lightweight fifth wheel?

Grease I hate it :angry:

A lot of our trucks were fitted with the PTFE liner but this only last as long as the trailer is coupled. When you drop a trailer at a customers premises or on a dock, the tug will pick it up and transfer the grease.

Another way grease is transferred to everything is normally off drivers who think a hi viz vest is a fashion item and must be worn at all times, even in bed :smiley:

HGV_Mikey:

beattun:

me thinks that you are lucky to have your own unit, or one where the suzies are kept pout the way.

at my current place 3 English drivers and 20 foreign, a day doesnt go by where my hands and trousers aren’t smeared with grease, i think the main problem with them is they connect to the trailer with the unit too high and it scrapes grease off the wheel, (then because the suzies are left on the back of the unit where they drop into one huge twisted mess), the grease then falls off onto the suzies.

Good God! 20 foreign drivers and only 3 English :open_mouth: - It sounds like a metaphor for what is wrong with our industry right now … I am genuinely shocked.