58plate MAN TGX Big cab 440 auto 750k

Hi,
About to press button on a used MAN, not in bad nick, 750k on clock. Was looking for a Volvo and this appeared on my radar, seems to be a lot of truck for 13 grand. I know nothing about MAN,S in general only driven a tga about 7 years ago. Is it a truck to be avoided at this mileage ? From what I can gather it is ex Gulliver rental and you can just make out TDG on the white panel below the windscreen. I have checked the history with the main dealer and the only record they have of seeing it on the system is for a few recalls.
What’s the consensus? What do I need to check and look out for? Really taken with the cab design, looks interesting and some nice touches although a bit flimsy! The gear selector has worn through to the white colour beneath it. Is this normal at this age and I note the fridge has been removed? Something easy to replace. I am bit of a perfectionist and will want to put it back to as near new condition as possible.
Cheers,

You can get 58 plate premiums with 450,000 clicks on for 16 grand.

750 clicks is too much. Whatever you buy get a warranty for a year, trust me!

check to see if the brake recall has been done, also check to see if the oil pump mod has been done

MAN trucks do not like ‘hard’ drivers who abuse the truck, if you are a driver who tends to look after the truck and be gentle with them, they are a good truck for the price

when doing the servicing, get the valves in the head reset on every oil change

parts can be expensive

shuttlespanker:
check to see if the brake recall has been done, also check to see if the oil pump mod has been done

MAN trucks do not like ‘hard’ drivers who abuse the truck, if you are a driver who tends to look after the truck and be gentle with them, they are a good truck for the price

when doing the servicing, get the valves in the head reset on every oil change

parts can be expensive

Highly recommend checking that the oil pump has been done! Mine had 812000 on the clock when it went bang and cost me £7400!! Personally id stay away from any truck with that sort of mileage.
Matt

Hi,
have just bought an 09 TGX, an when speaking to MAN dealers, was told any vehicles after 08 will have the new oil pump mod fitted and so should be ok, still unsure if to believe them though, its just done 400k so hope so

Is it the one sitting in a layby eastbound just before the A142 split at Newmarket with for sale plasterd all over it?
A bit weird i’d say.

speaking from experience, and I’ve owned / leased / rented loads of them, leave it well alone.

You are buying loads of potential problems in a TGX with that number of k’s on it.

If it has had oil changes and valve clearances done at exactly the right time, she may go on for a while, other than that I’ve known later ones to be in effect written off by the cost of engine repairs.

Fuel consumption can drastically increase by that amount of k’s on TGX’s and parts prices are astronomical - plus as Shuttlespanker says if driven hard they feel it.

Put your money into a DAF XF - that’s a real workhorse.

K

Burn your £13k in your back garden, it will be less painful.

As as already been mentioned you wouldn’t have to go up much in price to get a much lower mileage. If you’re stretching to get into a 58 plate but high miles I would go older and less mileage.

You don’t see MAN’s with a 1,000,000 km as often (if ever) like you do with the Swedish makes - I’m not advocating paying the extra for a Swedish truck to test the theory though, just older with less miles or newer with less miles and more money in any make.

Thanks for all the good advice. Decided to give that one a miss!
Budget is say 15k, what would you put your money into and why ? Bloke I was looking at buying the MAN from was saying that it would be scania, no doubt about it, and although he had a couple in for 17 - 20 ish with upwards of 800k on that mileage was nothing on such trucks.
Cheers

MY own experiences, as a driver only, have seen fantastic overall reliability and durability of Volvo FM’s and Scania 420’s.

I would however try to avoid auto boxes if at all possible, the Volvo auto is a lovely box to drive, but any auto is going to have a lot more to go wrong than a manual.

The last well over 1million km Scania 420 i drove pulled like a Trojan, easily better than the 440’s that replaced them, better on fuel than 440’s too despite slightly lower overall gearing.
It was previously a horrid gearchange, but a new gear linkage saw that back to as new.

The Volvo 420 was over 1mpg worse than the equivalent Scania on the work i was on, transporters.

You might not want to hear this, but i rate Axor 430 6 x 2’s, a lot, again so long as its got the manual box, quite a simple but robust machine, fantastic torquey engine that will lug happily right to 800 rpm without the slightest problem, suspect you will get a better bang for your buck with an Axor, some paid drivers here are a bit too precious to drive one.

We have a number of Premium DXi440/450/460s and most are on 750k+ doing fridge work@ 44t, they still drive well,
one has 918k on it and its drives like a Swiss watch :exclamation: :exclamation:

We have a new fleet of MP4 Merc’s and I still think the DXi Premiums drive EVERY bit as nice but just wouldn’t have the room in cab for 4nights+ out. :neutral_face:

Whatever about whatever, mileage is king.

Get a prem or an XF & a years warranty on him.

Most people selling a truck will put all the carp tyres out the yard on him so if you run heavy factor in new boots all round.

MAN’s are lovely motors but unless they’ve been loved or you’re buying new/leasing, I wouldn’t touch one with someone else’s.

It is not a fridge that was removed.It is a cool box.Drivers remove them to make more room and they get in the way.
The worn out part by the gearbox selecter is normal.

Don’t touch a MAN with EGR! Nothing but trouble and the build quality is very poor!