50mph on single carriageway

Pimpdaddy:

tango boy:
CC & RJ Emerson ltd where i work are a family firm, old school but up to date if you catch my drift :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
We’re well looked after and i don’t mind putting out for them when asked, believe me they have given me chances :wink: :wink:

Good to hear such outfits still exist…:slight_smile:

80+ years so they must be doing something right :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

at long last no more 40mph :grimacing: :grimacing:

This IMO is long overdue as the 40 limit has been about since the days of drum brakes all round and no pas, well no power anything really ! Modern trucks are a world apart from those on the road when the current limit was brought in. And as the company I work for are very hot on speed limits , it will be nice to be able to make reasonable progress on an A road without holding up half of the county behind me… (FYI If I can I will pull over to let those in a hurry past)
One cautionary note, I expect some will see this as an opportunity to go flat chat , so perhaps Recovery operators will get some more practice at fetching 44 toners out of hedges etc. :open_mouth:

powdertank:
One cautionary note, I expect some will see this as an opportunity to go flat chat , so perhaps Recovery operators will get some more practice at fetching 44 toners out of hedges etc. :open_mouth:

This is one argument I thought would pop up before long. The type of driver that will go flat out when the 40 becomes 50 is most likely the driver already going flat out despite it being 40 at the moment. All it means is that those that are monitored or don’t want to break the law can go quicker with consent.

Quackers:
All this doom and gloom. I think it’s long overdue, personally. No more speeding fines for just making good progress on the road.

well said long overdue!

Moose:

Quackers:
All this doom and gloom. I think it’s long overdue, personally. No more speeding fines for just making good progress on the road.

well said long overdue!

So the limit “could be 50”.“No more speeding fines” . . Yea right,depends what you"re limiter is set at.
Think of the children.

It will be interesting to see whether all drivers are fully aware of the change from 40mph up to 50 mph. Hopefully they will be aware from day one - otherwise there may be some frustrated LGV drivers following another LGV at 40mph when legally they are entitled to do 50mph. If that makes sense - after all not all driver’s are on TNUK or keep up to date with Legislation changes. It may be an interesting New Year!!!

I wonder how many DCPC instructors will know about it…

Wonderful :smiley:

until you get stuck behind a Tesco truck who don’t go that fast on the motorway :unamused:

Suedehead:

Moose:

Quackers:

well said long overdue!

So the limit “could be 50”.“No more speeding fines” . . Yea right,depends what you"re limiter is set at.
Think of the children.

Who mentioned a limiter? No more speeding fines for making good progress is what I said.

scanny77:
Wonderful :smiley:

until you get stuck behind a Tesco truck who don’t go that fast on the motorway :unamused:

I do 50 on duals and absolutely breezed past one today :unamused:

Had he just pulled out of a layby?

George@ASDA driver:
This has the potential to lose me £1500-2000 a year :unamused:

Good.

Hi
One more likely outcome of raising the limit to 50 is that you will get to the next traffic hold up a bit quicker so that should balance things out.

Cheers. Bassman

See the green party and cycling groups don’t want the limit raised. I knew that would come.

But then listening to some of you moaning roasters, well I thought you might want to see it raised. Wagon drivers are a fickle bunch.

Yeee Haaa, sales of cowboy hats will rocket. 10% + 2 mph will be flat-out everywhere. And no need to tie anything on either.

I think its a bad move I would have preferred them to reduce the speed of cars/bikes to 40 rather than increase ours, I agree with the load/hedge comments.

I too think that in reality some drivers will just do 56 everywhere.

Personally I wouldn’t want to drive a laden rigid tanker or skip wagon or a high cube tautliner at 50 around some of the lanes.

So much for fuel consumption and wear & tear, at 50 the increase in braking will be quite significant I imagine, I hope that Tesco and other such large volume companies choose to continue at 40, I hope the government see sense (that’ll never happen).

Muckspreader:
I think its a bad move I would have preferred them to reduce the speed of cars/bikes to 40 rather than increase ours, I agree with the load/hedge comments.

See my comments about those drivers that would use this as an excuse to drive at 56 everywhere ALREADY are doing 56 everywhere although it’s currently 40.

Muckspreader:
I too think that in reality some drivers will just do 56 everywhere.

I think the opposite - those that currently do 56 are more likely to slow down to 50. If they are already doing 56 now then nothing has changed

Muckspreader:
Personally I wouldn’t want to drive a laden rigid tanker or skip wagon or a high cube tautliner at 50 around some of the lanes.

The same lines trotted out by the car hating cyclists. Just because that’s the limit, as a professional driver I’d expect you to be able to drive at a safe speed for the road and it’s conditions. that sometimes means driving slower than the limit.

Muckspreader:
So much for fuel consumption and wear & tear, at 50 the increase in braking will be quite significant I imagine

Not if a company is employing professional drivers that realise there’s more to driving than pushing only the stop or go pedals. Planning ahead at 50 will cause less wear and tear than a stop/go merchant driving at 40.

Muckspreader:
I hope that Tesco and other such large volume companies choose to continue at 40, I hope the government see sense (that’ll never happen).

Why do you believe that it’s down to private companies to police other people’s behaviour when they are not breaking the law? Part of the reason for this is to ease driver fustrations. If Tesco taking everyone’s safety seriously means them carrying on at 40 then it will have to opposite effect as it will only infuriate people even more.

Nothing personal against you Muckspreader but I just cannot agree with any of what you’ve posted.

I too think that in reality some drivers will just do 56 everywhere

back to the old tipper days 17% with no basic

Flippin heck M1cks it was only my personal opinion, I was thinking of the traffic office expecting 50 + and expecting drivers to be there quicker there’s enough pressure already.
I personally like the 40mph speed limit.